Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT - Flash tube device category?

whit3rd fired this volley in news:0bec152a-072c-
:

It's a gas-filled tube. Just like a neon lamp, or fluorescent tube,
but not
so exotic as the triggered-spark-gap thyratrons and such.
The trigger electrode is just a capacitive coupled wire; the steel
panel adjacent to a fluorescent lamp serves the same function.

Guys... I underSTAND how they work, how to use them, how to design
strobes around them... I just can't remember the generic NAME of that
TYPE of device (a triggered gas avalanche discharge tube conducting
DC).

I still believe it's a "gas thyrector", but can't seem to prove that
on-line.

LLoyd