Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default What are these bench lathes used for

http://igor.chudov.com/misc/ebay/tmp/MyronBowling/

You can see several "bench lathes", which look like motor driven lathe
chucks where the whole assembly clamps to the table. What are these
things used for, does anyone know.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 19 May 2009 12:12:15 -0500, Ignoramus4834
wrote:

http://igor.chudov.com/misc/ebay/tmp/MyronBowling/

You can see several "bench lathes", which look like motor driven lathe
chucks where the whole assembly clamps to the table. What are these
things used for, does anyone know.

Speed Kings? SpeedDeBurr? Or similar?

They are primarily are for deburring, polishing and so forth. Handy to
have, but not an essential to the home shop if you already have a lathe
or mill.

Gunner, who has used them, but never felt the need for one at home.
"Lenin called them "useful idiots," those people living in
liberal democracies who by giving moral and material support
to a totalitarian ideology in effect were braiding the rope that
would hang them. Why people who enjoyed freedom and prosperity worked
passionately to destroy both is a fascinating question, one still with us
today. Now the useful idiots can be found in the chorus of appeasement,
reflexive anti-Americanism, and sentimental idealism trying to inhibit
the necessary responses to another freedom-hating ideology, radical Islam"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

http://igor.chudov.com/misc/ebay/tmp/MyronBowling/

You can see several "bench lathes", which look like motor driven lathe
chucks where the whole assembly clamps to the table. What are these
things used for, does anyone know.

If I'm looking at the right one, it kind of looks like what I've heard
referred to as a "speed lathe", commonly used for hand deburring with
abrasive sticks and bits of emery cloth. Particularly if you have
some precision features on a part that you don't want to subject to
tumbling or vibratory polishing.
--Glenn Lyford
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

http://igor.chudov.com/misc/ebay/tmp/MyronBowling/

You can see several "bench lathes", which look like motor driven lathe
chucks where the whole assembly clamps to the table. What are these
things used for, does anyone know.

Now Id certainly be interested in lot 150 and 151...keyway broachs.. if
you manage to snag em.

Gunner

"Lenin called them "useful idiots," those people living in
liberal democracies who by giving moral and material support
to a totalitarian ideology in effect were braiding the rope that
would hang them. Why people who enjoyed freedom and prosperity worked
passionately to destroy both is a fascinating question, one still with us
today. Now the useful idiots can be found in the chorus of appeasement,
reflexive anti-Americanism, and sentimental idealism trying to inhibit
the necessary responses to another freedom-hating ideology, radical Islam"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

http://igor.chudov.com/misc/ebay/tmp/MyronBowling/

You can see several "bench lathes", which look like motor driven lathe
chucks where the whole assembly clamps to the table. What are these
things used for, does anyone know.

Now Id certainly be interested in lot 150 and 151...keyway broachs.. if
you manage to snag em.

All of that is what I snagged. Lot 150 is something else entirely,
manual pipe benders.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus4834" wrote in message
http://igor.chudov.com/misc/ebay/tmp/MyronBowling/

You can see several "bench lathes", which look like motor driven lathe
chucks where the whole assembly clamps to the table. What are these
things used for, does anyone know.

Yo, Iggy. Those are elementary versions of speed lathes. Others have
explained what they were for -- I haven't seen them in use in several
decades. With CNC, most minor secondary operations are conducted in the
first chucking today.

Hardinge made some really sexy ones that had a short bed extending away from
the chuck. They made various attachments for them that allowed you to do
machine-controlled secondary operations, as well as hand-controlled ones,
and they were quite commonly used for things like chamfering, threading,
etc. back before production lathes were NC. The Hardinge speed lathes
bridged a gap between primary production lathes and full second-op lathes.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

http://igor.chudov.com/misc/ebay/tmp/MyronBowling/

You can see several "bench lathes", which look like motor driven lathe
chucks where the whole assembly clamps to the table. What are these
things used for, does anyone know.

Now Id certainly be interested in lot 150 and 151...keyway broachs.. if
you manage to snag em.

All of that is what I snagged. Lot 150 is something else entirely,
manual pipe benders.

How much for #151?. Ill figure shipping seperately.

Gunner

"Lenin called them "useful idiots," those people living in
liberal democracies who by giving moral and material support
to a totalitarian ideology in effect were braiding the rope that
would hang them. Why people who enjoyed freedom and prosperity worked
passionately to destroy both is a fascinating question, one still with us
today. Now the useful idiots can be found in the chorus of appeasement,
reflexive anti-Americanism, and sentimental idealism trying to inhibit
the necessary responses to another freedom-hating ideology, radical Islam"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

http://igor.chudov.com/misc/ebay/tmp/MyronBowling/

You can see several "bench lathes", which look like motor driven lathe
chucks where the whole assembly clamps to the table. What are these
things used for, does anyone know.

Now Id certainly be interested in lot 150 and 151...keyway broachs.. if
you manage to snag em.

All of that is what I snagged. Lot 150 is something else entirely,
manual pipe benders.

How much for #151?. Ill figure shipping seperately.

I will let you kno once I bring them home.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
http://igor.chudov.com/misc/ebay/tmp/MyronBowling/

You can see several "bench lathes", which look like motor driven lathe
chucks where the whole assembly clamps to the table. What are these
things used for, does anyone know.

Now Id certainly be interested in lot 150 and 151...keyway broachs.. *if
you manage to snag em.

Gunner

How will you pay for them? Shouldn't you be fulfilling your
obligations to the people who were kind enough to keep you alive
first?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

http://igor.chudov.com/misc/ebay/tmp/MyronBowling/

You can see several "bench lathes", which look like motor driven lathe
chucks where the whole assembly clamps to the table. What are these
things used for, does anyone know.

Now Id certainly be interested in lot 150 and 151...keyway broachs.. if
you manage to snag em.

All of that is what I snagged. Lot 150 is something else entirely,
manual pipe benders.

How much for #151?. Ill figure shipping seperately.

I will let you kno once I bring them home.

Ill be waiting. When you get around to it..the sizes would be
marvelous.

Gunner

"Lenin called them "useful idiots," those people living in
liberal democracies who by giving moral and material support
to a totalitarian ideology in effect were braiding the rope that
would hang them. Why people who enjoyed freedom and prosperity worked
passionately to destroy both is a fascinating question, one still with us
today. Now the useful idiots can be found in the chorus of appeasement,
reflexive anti-Americanism, and sentimental idealism trying to inhibit
the necessary responses to another freedom-hating ideology, radical Islam"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
http://igor.chudov.com/misc/ebay/tmp/MyronBowling/

You can see several "bench lathes", which look like motor driven lathe
chucks where the whole assembly clamps to the table. What are these
things used for, does anyone know.

Now Id certainly be interested in lot 150 and 151...keyway broachs.. *if
you manage to snag em.

Gunner

How will you pay for them? Shouldn't you be fulfilling your
obligations to the people who were kind enough to keep you alive
first?

I have to make a living so I can pay them. Proper tools allow me to make
a living.

But then...since I became a Liberal 3 weeks ago...do I really need to?
It really would be out of charector to pay, as a Liberal, wouldnt it?

Yes..it would.

Gunner

"Lenin called them "useful idiots," those people living in
liberal democracies who by giving moral and material support
to a totalitarian ideology in effect were braiding the rope that
would hang them. Why people who enjoyed freedom and prosperity worked
passionately to destroy both is a fascinating question, one still with us
today. Now the useful idiots can be found in the chorus of appeasement,
reflexive anti-Americanism, and sentimental idealism trying to inhibit
the necessary responses to another freedom-hating ideology, radical Islam"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ed Huntress" wrote:

Welcome back Ed.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus4834 wrote:
http://igor.chudov.com/misc/ebay/tmp/MyronBowling/

You can see several "bench lathes", which look like motor driven lathe
chucks where the whole assembly clamps to the table. What are these
things used for, does anyone know.

Iggy

I would be interested in a 4 jaw chuck with an L-1 taper if you have one
in that lot. 8-12 inches.

CarlBoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-05-19, CarlBoyd wrote:
I would be interested in a 4 jaw chuck with an L-1 taper if you have one
in that lot. 8-12 inches.

I will see what they are in a couple of days.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
http://igor.chudov.com/misc/ebay/tmp/MyronBowling/

You can see several "bench lathes", which look like motor driven lathe
chucks where the whole assembly clamps to the table. What are these
things used for, does anyone know.

Now Id certainly be interested in lot 150 and 151...keyway broachs.. *if
you manage to snag em.

Gunner

How will you pay for them? Shouldn't you be fulfilling your
obligations to the people who were kind enough to keep you alive
first?

I have to make a living so I can pay them. Proper tools allow me to make
a living.

But then...since I became a Liberal 3 weeks ago...do I really need to?
It really would be out of charector to pay, as a Liberal, wouldnt it?

Yes..it would.

Gunner

Oh give us all a break. You brag about all the great tools and
equipment you have, and how highly skilled you are. If you can't make
a living with all that, you're either lying about having the tools, or
you're lying about the skills.

Hearing about some shiny new tool and saying "I gotta have it so I can
make a living" is the kind of bull**** someone tells their wife when
they want a new toy. Hearing it from someone who is hundreds of
thousands of dollars in debt, well that's just nauseating.

Look, there's a bid out in my area to build a new off-ramp from a
highway. Now, I could look at that and say, "I gotta go buy some heavy
equipment so I can bid on this great job," or I can make a healthy
living with the tens of thousands of dollars worth of electronic,
computer and mechanical equipment that I already own.

Would it be fun to go out and buy a bulldozer? Hell yes, it would.
Would it be the responsible thing to do? Of course not.

So, Gunner, how many dollars worth of work have you passed up in the
last month because you didn't have this shiny new set of broaches (or
whatever it was you're looking to buy)? How much work do you have
queued up waiting for the new tools?

Why don't you try acting like a grown up man instead of a spoiled
child. It may be hard, but it may actually make you feel good.

And don't start with the Liberal vs. Conservative bull**** either.
There are plenty of responsible people on both sides of the aisle. I
am a liberal. I pay my taxes. I pay my bills. If it weren't for the
responsible tax payers, you would not have received the medical care
that kept you alive. Do you really think you're that much better than
everyone else?

I am truly sick of your bull****, you pitiful fraction of a man.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

You live where again? No Depression in your state eh? Need me to go
over the listing of clients who went out of business since Jan 21?

Fascinating.

Hearing about some shiny new tool and saying "I gotta have it so I can
make a living" is the kind of bull**** someone tells their wife when
they want a new toy. Hearing it from someone who is hundreds of
thousands of dollars in debt, well that's just nauseating.

So you want a CNC machine tool tech to work with a pair of vise-grips
and a pointed rock, right?

Look, there's a bid out in my area to build a new off-ramp from a
highway. Now, I could look at that and say, "I gotta go buy some heavy
equipment so I can bid on this great job," or I can make a healthy
living with the tens of thousands of dollars worth of electronic,
computer and mechanical equipment that I already own.

I dont do roads. I dont do computers for a living. I do however repair
machine tools for a living. So you dont think I should have the tools?

Would it be fun to go out and buy a bulldozer? Hell yes, it would.
Would it be the responsible thing to do? Of course not.

What do I need a bulldozer for?

So, Gunner, how many dollars worth of work have you passed up in the
last month because you didn't have this shiny new set of broaches (or
whatever it was you're looking to buy)? How much work do you have
queued up waiting for the new tools?

None. In the last year..Ive probably missed out on $300-400 because I
didnt have them.

Why don't you try acting like a grown up man instead of a spoiled
child. It may be hard, but it may actually make you feel good.

Blink blink...right...

And don't start with the Liberal vs. Conservative bull**** either.
There are plenty of responsible people on both sides of the aisle. I
am a liberal. I pay my taxes. I pay my bills. If it weren't for the
responsible tax payers, you would not have received the medical care
that kept you alive. Do you really think you're that much better than
everyone else?

No. I am however a Liberal and as such..you working stiffs get to pay my
bills while I lounge here on the Riveara with a bevy of pretty girls
applying lotion to my wounds.

I am truly sick of your bull****, you pitiful fraction of a man.

Feel better now? Want a kitten? Ive got about 10 of them Id be happy to
send you. Save me a lot of work trying to adopt them out. How would you
like em shipped? And that large brown thing..is named Ike. He is mostly
a german shepard. He was abused as a puppy by a drunken Mexican who
broke his hind leg, before someone broke HIS leg with a baseball bat and
took the pup. He means well..but speak softly around him..if you
dont..he pees and runs.

Oddly enough..the two of you might make a good pair.

Gunner

"Lenin called them "useful idiots," those people living in
liberal democracies who by giving moral and material support
to a totalitarian ideology in effect were braiding the rope that
would hang them. Why people who enjoyed freedom and prosperity worked
passionately to destroy both is a fascinating question, one still with us
today. Now the useful idiots can be found in the chorus of appeasement,
reflexive anti-Americanism, and sentimental idealism trying to inhibit
the necessary responses to another freedom-hating ideology, radical Islam"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

Very classy. Have you paid your taxes yet?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

Y'know, Gunner, trying to have a conversation with you is like playing
with a Magic Eight Ball. It only has a few things to say, you shake it
up and a random phrase comes out. It's absolutely useless trying to
make any sense out of your drivel. You can't or won't read what other
people write. You only respond with either total nonsense, or with
endless quotes from others. Very nice that you have mastered the art
of cut and paste. Now if you could only master the art of thinking.

See ya.

(and thanks, I already have two adopted cats)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

No. Got an address handy for the critters?

Gunner

"Lenin called them "useful idiots," those people living in
liberal democracies who by giving moral and material support
to a totalitarian ideology in effect were braiding the rope that
would hang them. Why people who enjoyed freedom and prosperity worked
passionately to destroy both is a fascinating question, one still with us
today. Now the useful idiots can be found in the chorus of appeasement,
reflexive anti-Americanism, and sentimental idealism trying to inhibit
the necessary responses to another freedom-hating ideology, radical Islam"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 19 May 2009 18:51:34 -0700 (PDT), rangerssuck
wrote:

[...]

Oddly enough...trying to have a conversation with you is like trying to
engage a retarded boy in converstation. Its certainly simple, but the
conversation gets boring after a while, because its the same
converstation one has with dozens of retards all in a row.

I read and respond to what others write. Unfortunately for them...I
consider them (and you) to be like minded retards who have little to
say, all say the same buffoonery and all in the same fashion. Blither,
followed up with anger and threats from them (and you) is the average
conversation. And out of boredom I often times prolong the discussion
before driving the sword in behind your shoulder. G Hey..bullfighters
do it and get roses tossed to them. I get a pat on the shoulder from
those I respect. Which is good enough for me!

See ya.

(and thanks, I already have two adopted cats)

So you are turning down my offer of Ike? And I already told him he was
getting a home and a partner and had his bones packed and his teeth
flossed. Now Im going to have to wait up all night and make sure he
doesnt gnaw through an artery in his leg and kill himself.
You selfish clod!!

Gunner

"Lenin called them "useful idiots," those people living in
liberal democracies who by giving moral and material support
to a totalitarian ideology in effect were braiding the rope that
would hang them. Why people who enjoyed freedom and prosperity worked
passionately to destroy both is a fascinating question, one still with us
today. Now the useful idiots can be found in the chorus of appeasement,
reflexive anti-Americanism, and sentimental idealism trying to inhibit
the necessary responses to another freedom-hating ideology, radical Islam"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wes" wrote in message
"Ed Huntress" wrote:

Welcome back Ed.

Wes

Thanks, Wes, but I'm not back. I just stopped in to see if anything had
changed.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:
"Wes" wrote in message
"Ed Huntress" wrote:

Welcome back Ed.

Wes

Thanks, Wes, but I'm not back. I just stopped in to see if anything had
changed.

--
Ed Huntress

Same river, different water.

David
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ed Huntress" wrote:

Thanks, Wes, but I'm not back. I just stopped in to see if anything had
changed.

Set filters to high and it isn't too bad.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I personally woild like Ed not to leave.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus27366" wrote in message
I personally woild like Ed not to leave.

Well, thanks, Iggy, but I've enjoyed all the extra time I have over the past
couple of months, and I can only stop in from time to time. But I appreciate
the thought.

--
Ed Huntress

Lathes steamer Metalworking 15 May 7th 09 04:44 AM
Wood prepped for second half of bench top - Bitsa Bench Mike Richardson Woodworking Plans and Photos 0 June 24th 07 05:22 AM
lathes??? [email protected] Woodturning 9 June 2nd 07 05:52 AM
Bench Vice Handle for new work bench Nick Bozovich Woodworking 7 August 27th 04 07:22 AM
Bench Dog Or Bench Hold Down Clamp? Tim Hurd Woodworking 8 May 14th 04 12:15 AM