Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
No Name

Default Headstock Oil

My new Lathe calls out for a "high grade SAE 30 machine oil" it also says
it should have corrosion inhibiators. What are you guys using in your
Headstocks and whats it cost for 5 gal. pail.
Al Kimmel

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 19 May 2009 06:21:58 -0500, wrote:

My new Lathe calls out for a "high grade SAE 30 machine oil" it also says
it should have corrosion inhibiators. What are you guys using in your
Headstocks and whats it cost for 5 gal. pail.
Al Kimmel

My Lansing lathe has no oil nameplate, so I have no idea waht it calls
for. I used Valvoline SAE30 out of quart bottles bought from an auto
store. Been working for over 20 years.

Thank You,
Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-05-19, wrote:
My new Lathe calls out for a "high grade SAE 30 machine oil" it also says
it should have corrosion inhibiators. What are you guys using in your
Headstocks and whats it cost for 5 gal. pail.

My lathe calls for Mobil DTE 24 hydraulic oil, which is what I use.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 19 May 2009 06:21:58 -0500, wrote:

My new Lathe calls out for a "high grade SAE 30 machine oil" it also says
it should have corrosion inhibiators. What are you guys using in your
Headstocks and whats it cost for 5 gal. pail.
Al Kimmel

pick up a pail of a NON DETERGENT 30 weight. Shouldnt cost all that
much. Any name brand.

Gunner

"Lenin called them "useful idiots," those people living in
liberal democracies who by giving moral and material support
to a totalitarian ideology in effect were braiding the rope that
would hang them. Why people who enjoyed freedom and prosperity worked
passionately to destroy both is a fascinating question, one still with us
today. Now the useful idiots can be found in the chorus of appeasement,
reflexive anti-Americanism, and sentimental idealism trying to inhibit
the necessary responses to another freedom-hating ideology, radical Islam"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I know a lot of you use automotive oils for your lathes, but unless you use
a pressure feed and an oil filter you should not, because automotive oils
use additives that cause foreign particulate to remain in suspension, which
is potentially harmful. Industrial machine oil is readily available in 20
liter containers in Saybolt viscosities from 100 to 500 (SAE 10W to SAE 40W)
These oils have other additives that allow the particulate to settle at the
bottom of the sump. The cost is often less than automotive oil as well.
Please take note that the precision taper roller headstock bearings require
a light weght oil, I use 100-150 Saybolt. Your gearboxes require 250-350
Saybolt.
Steve

wrote in message
m...
My new Lathe calls out for a "high grade SAE 30 machine oil" it also says
it should have corrosion inhibiators. What are you guys using in your
Headstocks and whats it cost for 5 gal. pail.
Al Kimmel

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-05-19, Steve Lusardi wrote:
I know a lot of you use automotive oils for your lathes, but unless you use
a pressure feed and an oil filter you should not, because automotive oils
use additives that cause foreign particulate to remain in suspension, which
is potentially harmful. Industrial machine oil is readily available in 20
liter containers in Saybolt viscosities from 100 to 500 (SAE 10W to SAE 40W)
These oils have other additives that allow the particulate to settle at the
bottom of the sump. The cost is often less than automotive oil as well.
Please take note that the precision taper roller headstock bearings require
a light weght oil, I use 100-150 Saybolt. Your gearboxes require 250-350
Saybolt.

Steve, I used engine oil in my headstock once, with a specific purpose
to lift off all crud from the bottom and transfer it from the bottom
into suspension. After a few minutes of stirring that stuff with a
stick, and then running the lathe, I drained the engine oil and it was
very effective way to get rid of crud. It lifted off 42 years worth of
crud at once. Which was great. My headstock was as clean as new after
I wiped it inside. Based on engine oil's effectiveness at suspending
dirt, I would not use it for libricating headstock gears.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

My new Lathe calls out for a "high grade SAE 30 machine oil" it also says
it should have corrosion inhibiators. What are you guys using in your
Headstocks and whats it cost for 5 gal. pail.
Al Kimmel

Not to hijack this thread but the Leblonde at work uses 20wt non detergent, something that
is getting harder to find. We have DTE Light and DTE24. Any chance one of these is a
good match?

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 19 May 2009 17:56:15 -0400, Wes wrote:

wrote:

My new Lathe calls out for a "high grade SAE 30 machine oil" it also says
it should have corrosion inhibiators. What are you guys using in your
Headstocks and whats it cost for 5 gal. pail.
Al Kimmel

Not to hijack this thread but the Leblonde at work uses 20wt non detergent, something that
is getting harder to find. We have DTE Light and DTE24. Any chance one of these is a
good match?

Both DTE Light and DTE24 are ISO VG 32 oils, which is lighter than SAE
20. DTE Medium (ISO 46) or Heavy Medium (ISO 68) would be closer.

http://www.castrol.com/castrol/mispopupimage.jsp?img_path=liveassets/bp_internet/castrol_marine/castrol_marine_global/STAGING/local_assets/images/classification_of_lubricants_575x732.gif

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

My new Lathe calls out for a "high grade SAE 30 machine oil" it also says
it should have corrosion inhibiators. What are you guys using in your
Headstocks and whats it cost for 5 gal. pail.
Al Kimmel

Not to hijack this thread but the Leblonde at work uses 20wt non detergent, something that
is getting harder to find. We have DTE Light and DTE24. Any chance one of these is a
good match?

Wes

DTE Light is closer. And many lathes use it in the head.