Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default help id some dies?

Another pile of junk I got at an auction...

Along with a bunch of chuck keys came about 20 of these
things packed with foam in three small parts boxes:

http://www3.sympatico.ca/doc/setofdies0.jpg
http://www3.sympatico.ca/doc/setofdies1.jpg
http://www3.sympatico.ca/doc/setofdies2.jpg

Most people thought they were cutters but they all have slightly
different face shapes (last pic) so I think they are parts for some
sort of die.

About 4 inches long. Look to be professionally made. They are marked
with numbers from 1 to about 52.The one that I took pics of also has
the number 3052263A-5391 reverse engraved on what might be the face
of the die.

Boxes have the numbers MX00751 marked in grease pencil.

Look to be expensive so I'd hate to just pitch them.

Can anyone help?

Tanks,

DOC

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 16 May 2009 18:58:46 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

[...]

Hey DOC,

Coincidence, but I was thumbing through some auction stuff this
morning, and came across some bits and pieces that look strikingly
similar to what you have. Only one of each, and not exactly like
"your's", but very similar in shape and identical in finish and
colour. I don't know where or when I came to possess them though.
Maybe from Tilbury?

Take care. Let us know what you find out.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I think they look like die inserts for an injection molded part. These
inserts seem to have specific model # or some such data on them.

Pete Stanaitis
-----------------

wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Another pile of junk I got at an auction...

Along with a bunch of chuck keys came about 20 of these
things packed with foam in three small parts boxes:

http://www3.sympatico.ca/doc/setofdies0.jpg
http://www3.sympatico.ca/doc/setofdies1.jpg
http://www3.sympatico.ca/doc/setofdies2.jpg

It looks a lot like part of a wheel dresser. We used to run some cinci grinders that had
a template in the back that a stylus followed to run the diamond wheel dresser.

Wes

in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

I do a lot with press tools, drop stamping dies and die sets.
These are the male part of a pair for making some metal part, as they
have shearing edges as well as forming profiles.
The female part you dont have, tho even if you did what would you use
them for? if you had a press to put them in.
Now if they were matching male and female tools of say rounds or other
shapes you might have a market for them.
Probably some military part for something.
As for the metal, they will be tool steel hardened and tempered.
Useful stuff if you can anneal it to use on something else.
Hope this helps

Ted

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

http://www3.sympatico.ca/doc/setofdi...setofdies2.jpg

Most people thought they were cutters but they all have slightly
different face shapes (last pic) so I think they are parts for some
sort of die.

About 4 inches long. Look to be professionally made. They are marked
with numbers from 1 to about 52.The one that I took pics of also has
the number 3052263A-5391 reverse engraved on what might be the face
of the die.

Boxes have the numbers MX00751 marked in grease pencil.

Look to be expensive so I'd hate to just pitch them.

Can anyone help?

Tanks,

DOC

It looks to me like the lettering is reversed, as though they were
meant to mold or press a positive image into a part.

jsw