Posted to alt.home.repair
dgk dgk is offline

Default Refrigerator dies - try to fix or get a new one?

I'm guessing, with no real knowledge, that the compressor went. There
was a burning smell, the fuse blew, and when I ran an extension to the
refrigerator to get that working, smoke came from the big black thing
at the bottom. So, I'm guessing compressor. Is that likely?

If so, a new compressor is around $180, much cheaper than a new
refrig. The parts guy (Sears) says that anyone can replace the
compressor, that I can get a do-it-yourself guide for $15.

A new model would be around $600 and a big pain. Is replacing a
compressor so hard?
Posted to alt.home.repair

dgk wrote:
I'm guessing, with no real knowledge, that the compressor went. There
was a burning smell, the fuse blew, and when I ran an extension to the
refrigerator to get that working, smoke came from the big black thing
at the bottom. So, I'm guessing compressor. Is that likely?

If so, a new compressor is around $180, much cheaper than a new
refrig. The parts guy (Sears) says that anyone can replace the
compressor, that I can get a do-it-yourself guide for $15.

A new model would be around $600 and a big pain. Is replacing a
compressor so hard?

new ones are more efficient. how old iis it?
Posted to alt.home.repair

dgk wrote:

I'm guessing, with no real knowledge, that the compressor went. There
was a burning smell, the fuse blew, and when I ran an extension to the
refrigerator to get that working, smoke came from the big black thing
at the bottom. So, I'm guessing compressor. Is that likely?

Sounds likely.

If so, a new compressor is around $180, much cheaper than a new
refrig. The parts guy (Sears) says that anyone can replace the
compressor, that I can get a do-it-yourself guide for $15.

If it is like any compressor I've ever seen in a refrigerator- you'd
need to drain the freon- capturing it without contaminating the lines
or the atmosphere; cut some tubing, solder it back up and recharge the
lines. Special skills- special tools.

I wouldn't tackle it.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Jim Elbrecht wrote:
dgk wrote:

I'm guessing, with no real knowledge, that the compressor went. There
was a burning smell, the fuse blew, and when I ran an extension to the
refrigerator to get that working, smoke came from the big black thing
at the bottom. So, I'm guessing compressor. Is that likely?

Sounds likely.

If so, a new compressor is around $180, much cheaper than a new
refrig. The parts guy (Sears) says that anyone can replace the
compressor, that I can get a do-it-yourself guide for $15.

If it is like any compressor I've ever seen in a refrigerator- you'd
need to drain the freon- capturing it without contaminating the lines
or the atmosphere; cut some tubing, solder it back up and recharge the
lines. Special skills- special tools.

Starting w/ the vacuum pump...

Not a DIY-er' project unless HVAC repair experienced and equipped which
if guessing the "black can" might be the compressor indicates...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"dgk" wrote in message

I'm guessing, with no real knowledge, that the compressor went. There
was a burning smell, the fuse blew, and when I ran an extension to the
refrigerator to get that working, smoke came from the big black thing
at the bottom. So, I'm guessing compressor. Is that likely?

If so, a new compressor is around $180, much cheaper than a new
refrig. The parts guy (Sears) says that anyone can replace the
compressor, that I can get a do-it-yourself guide for $15.

A new model would be around $600 and a big pain. Is replacing a
compressor so hard?

The parts guy is a liar. Unless you have the proper license to handle the
refrigerant and the proper equipment to do the job right you can't even
start it. The equipment is probably over $1000. Vacuum pump, gauges, etc.
This is not a DIY job.

If the refrigerator is old, it will pay for itself in electricity savings in
a few years. OOH, if may be a capacitor or other modestly priced part.
Trouble is, a service call is probably $100 to diagnose it.

Another thought though, is to call you local appliance dealer. Explain the
situation. He may be willing to check it out and do the repair for normal
cost, but if it is not fixable, he may credit you a portion of that amount
towards the cost of a new fridge. Today, most local dealers belong to
buyer's co-ops and sell at similar prices as the big box stores. They also
offer better service.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Please try it yourself, and let us know how the job goes.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"dgk" wrote in message

I'm guessing, with no real knowledge, that the compressor went. There
was a burning smell, the fuse blew, and when I ran an extension to the
refrigerator to get that working, smoke came from the big black thing
at the bottom. So, I'm guessing compressor. Is that likely?

If so, a new compressor is around $180, much cheaper than a new
refrig. The parts guy (Sears) says that anyone can replace the
compressor, that I can get a do-it-yourself guide for $15.

A new model would be around $600 and a big pain. Is replacing a
compressor so hard?

Posted to alt.home.repair
KD KD is offline

.

"dgk" wrote in message

I'm guessing, with no real knowledge, that the compressor went. There
was a burning smell, the fuse blew, and when I ran an extension to the
refrigerator to get that working, smoke came from the big black thing
at the bottom. So, I'm guessing compressor. Is that likely?

If so, a new compressor is around $180, much cheaper than a new
refrig. The parts guy (Sears) says that anyone can replace the
compressor, that I can get a do-it-yourself guide for $15.

A new model would be around $600 and a big pain. Is replacing a
compressor so hard?

We just bought a new fridge, washer and dryer a few months ago. So far
I've only seen one power bill that covered only the period we had the
new appliance, and our power usage was down 20% from the same period a
year ago.

I don't know how old my fridge was (it came with the house), but I'm
quite certain that's what's making the difference. And newer models
are SO much nicer than what they used to sell. Mine has a bottom
freezer with a pull-out drawer, I love it.

In a nutshell, if your fridge is older, I wouldn't bother trying to
fix it. Newer models are not only more functional, they're more energy
efficient.

KD
Posted to alt.home.repair

dgk wrote:
I'm guessing, with no real knowledge, that the compressor went. There
was a burning smell, the fuse blew, and when I ran an extension to the
refrigerator to get that working, smoke came from the big black thing
at the bottom. So, I'm guessing compressor. Is that likely?

If so, a new compressor is around $180, much cheaper than a new
refrig. The parts guy (Sears) says that anyone can replace the
compressor, that I can get a do-it-yourself guide for $15.

A new model would be around $600 and a big pain. Is replacing a
compressor so hard?

The choice is not exclusively between a (modest) $600 fridge and a $150
repair.

Check Craigslist for used fridges. Often they are free.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Please try it yourself, and let us know how the job goes.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
*www.lds.org
.

"dgk" wrote in message

.. .

[...]

And I'm quite certain that you the data you have is far from
conclusive of anything. My energy bills can vary 20% up or down
without changine anything. Have an especially cold Jan, more energy
usage. Have an especially hot Jul, more energy usage.. And I hope
you're comparing killowatt hours, not the bill.

In a nutshell, if your fridge is older, I wouldn't bother trying to
fix it. Newer models are not only more functional, they're more energy
efficient.

Now that I agree with. If you;'re facing a major repair and have an
old fridge, it's better to replace it. I replaced a 24 year old
Frigidare a few months ago. I used a killowatt meter to measure the
before and after change. Bottom line, for a similar size side by
side, 24 vs 25 cbft, with the new one being the larger, I'm saving
about $100 a year. Note that $100 a year isn't anywhere near 20% my
average bill. It's more like 5%.

KD- Hide quoted text -

Posted to alt.home.repair

dgk wrote:

I'm guessing, with no real knowledge, that the compressor went. There
was a burning smell, the fuse blew, and when I ran an extension to the
refrigerator to get that working, smoke came from the big black thing
at the bottom. So, I'm guessing compressor. Is that likely?

If so, a new compressor is around $180, much cheaper than a new
refrig. The parts guy (Sears) says that anyone can replace the
compressor, that I can get a do-it-yourself guide for $15.

I think he just wanted to sell you a repair guide, but you can get
factory repair manuals free at www.ApplianceJunk.com. Your Sears was
probably made by Whirlpool.

I don't think I'd trust a Sears parts guy, but I would a Johnstone
Supply parts guy, who'd probably tell you to forget it.

A new model would be around $600 and a big pain. Is replacing a
compressor so hard?

It is if you have to ask.

Here's a table of how much energy various appliances, including
refrigerators, consume annually. Notice that refrigerators made in
1980 consume over twice as much as those made in 2001 (divide the KW-h
figures by 10 to get a rough idea of the cost of energy).

www.cato.org/pubs/pas/html/pa504/pa50400005.html

IOW if your refrigerator is over a decade old, it may make sense to
buy a new one.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 25, 10:47*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
dgk wrote:
I'm guessing, with no real knowledge, that the compressor went. There
was a burning smell, the fuse blew, and when I ran an extension to the
refrigerator to get that working, smoke came from the big black thing
at the bottom. So, I'm guessing compressor. Is that likely?

If so, a new compressor is around $180, much cheaper than a new
refrig. The parts guy (Sears) says that anyone can replace the
compressor, that I can get a do-it-yourself guide for $15.

A new model would be around $600 and a big pain. Is replacing a
compressor so hard?

The choice is not exclusively between a (modest) $600 fridge and a $150
repair.

Check Craigslist for used fridges. Often they are free.

Am I the only one wondering how smoke comes out of a sealed
comrpessor? Also, consider a "free" fridge can cost you $100 a year
more to run.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 25, 5:26*am, dgk wrote:
I'm guessing, with no real knowledge, that the compressor went. There
was a burning smell, the fuse blew, and when I ran an extension to the
refrigerator to get that working, smoke came from the big black thing
at the bottom. So, I'm guessing compressor. Is that likely?

If so, a new compressor is around $180, much cheaper than a new
refrig. The parts guy (Sears) says that anyone can replace the
compressor, that I can get a do-it-yourself guide for $15.

A new model would be around $600 and a big pain. Is replacing a
compressor so hard?

I used to be in domestic refrig business 30 years ago, since then in
the larger commercial and industrial applications. replacing a
compressor takes special skills and tools (vacuum pump, oxy acty
torch, proper refrigerant charging aparatus etc).. further a replaced
compressor has a much shorter life than a new one due to contamination
introduced when changing the the compressor... if the old one burnt
out its internal windings it is toast, too contaminated to consider
replacing the compressor... clean up is possible but a costly
nightmare, no guarantees either.

id buy a new one.

There is a chance that if you saw smoke its not an internal compressor
problem but the compressors external 'start relay and capacitor' ..
give sears the model number of the refrig. order a new start relay and
capacitor kit and replace it.

check first.. if it smoked you will see burnt wiring. ... it could
also be a burnt fan motor, visual inspection should do, see if the fan
blade rotates etc.

compressor replacement takes insight on how the compressor is wired
internally.. its easy to screw up if you are not a tech.

age of refrig... over 10 years forget it entirely, under 5 years maybe
consider repair... under a year it might be worth repair..

Phil scott
Posted to alt.home.repair
KD KD is offline

wrote:
Please try it yourself, and let us know how the job goes.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
*www.lds.org
.

"dgk" wrote in message

.. .

[...]

Perhaps comparing the same period last year isn't all that scientific,
so perhaps not 20% savings. But certainly a savings.We'll see how the
next few periods average out. My usage has never been higher than 13
kWh a day over the past two years, and my July bill in 2007 was 10 kWh
a day. This year (post-fridge) it's 8 kWh a day.

And yes, I am comparing kilowatt hours rather than actual $ on the
bill. Our power consumption doesn't really vary much from season to
season - my heat is oil, so is my water heater. Here in Atlantic
Canada it doesn't get hot enough for an extended period to make an air
conditioner necessary for us. While the furnace does use a bit more
power,in the winter, I think that lights are probably the primary
difference since. We use CFLs, and I think that makes a difference as
well.

$100 savings on my power bill would probably work out to about 16%.
Not huge, but I like it.

KD
Posted to alt.home.repair

Am I the only one wondering how smoke comes out of a sealed
comrpessor? *

BINGO!

Mark
Posted to alt.home.repair

That's good thinking. Not limited to the two choices posed. Good job.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...

The choice is not exclusively between a (modest) $600 fridge and a $150
repair.

Check Craigslist for used fridges. Often they are free.

Posted to alt.home.repair

dgk wrote:
I'm guessing, with no real knowledge, that the compressor went. There
was a burning smell, the fuse blew, and when I ran an extension to the
refrigerator to get that working, smoke came from the big black thing
at the bottom. So, I'm guessing compressor. Is that likely?

If so, a new compressor is around $180, much cheaper than a new
refrig. The parts guy (Sears) says that anyone can replace the
compressor, that I can get a do-it-yourself guide for $15.

A new model would be around $600 and a big pain. Is replacing a
compressor so hard?

In my area we have used appliance dealers
who pickup, deliver and haul off. You may
do well to find one in your area, tell him
the problem and you could make out with a
trade in of your dead fridge. The last repair
I priced out for a good customer was $250.00
to replace the computer board in a late model
GE fridge that had cost them $1200.00 a few
years ago. In their case the repair was worth
it.

[8~{} Uncle Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 08:26:05 -0400, dgk wrote:

I'm guessing, with no real knowledge, that the compressor went. There
was a burning smell, the fuse blew, and when I ran an extension to the
refrigerator to get that working, smoke came from the big black thing
at the bottom.

That's probably a sea otter. Are you sure the smoke wasn't just
from his cigarette?

So, I'm guessing compressor. Is that likely?

The way you describe it, yes.

If so, a new compressor is around $180, much cheaper than a new
refrig. The parts guy (Sears) says that anyone can replace the
compressor, that I can get a do-it-yourself guide for $15.

I get a lot of my advice from parts guys. I'll never forget the one
who explained that I didn't need a press to get the lug bolts out of
my front wheel hub, or to get them back in, like the shop manual said.
He was 100% right, and saved me much time and money.

But this wone seems to have ignored the need for freon, and the need
to pressurize the system, and probalby the need to evacuate it first.

Is he saying that freon comes included with the compressor?

A new model would be around $600 and a big pain. Is replacing a
compressor so hard?

I'll have to read the other answers to find out.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dgk dgk is offline

On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 09:02:24 -0400, Bob wrote:

dgk wrote:
I'm guessing, with no real knowledge, that the compressor went. There
was a burning smell, the fuse blew, and when I ran an extension to the
refrigerator to get that working, smoke came from the big black thing
at the bottom. So, I'm guessing compressor. Is that likely?

If so, a new compressor is around $180, much cheaper than a new
refrig. The parts guy (Sears) says that anyone can replace the
compressor, that I can get a do-it-yourself guide for $15.

A new model would be around $600 and a big pain. Is replacing a
compressor so hard?

new ones are more efficient. how old iis it?

Thanks to everyone for answering. I'll send the compressor back; I
know nothing about HVAC. The dead refrig is around 9 years old,
reasonably efficient but not worth trying to fix.

I guess, like everythjing else, Sears is not what it once was.

I'll look for a reasonably priced used one but transportation is a
huge issue there. It needs to be about free.

I'll also check with a local non-big box dealer and ask them to check
out the refrig or sell me a new one.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 25, 4:57*pm, "Dave + Gloria"
wrote:
Maybe it got hot enough to burn the black paint on the outside."Mark" wrote in message

Am I the only one wondering how smoke comes out of a sealed
comrpessor?

BINGO!

Mark

Ive seen em blow out the sealed wire terminal penetrations .. makes
all kinds of black smoke, blows oil all over the place.. or they
just leak.

most likely though is an exploded start capacitor and start relay..
thats external.

Phil scott

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 25, 11:13*pm, phil scott wrote:
On Aug 25, 4:57*pm, "Dave + Gloria"
wrote:

Maybe it got hot enough to burn the black paint on the outside."Mark" wrote in message

Am I the only one wondering how smoke comes out of a sealed
comrpessor?

BINGO!

Mark

Ive seen em blow out the sealed wire terminal penetrations .. makes
all kinds of black smoke, blows oil all over the place.. * or they
just leak.

most likely though is an exploded start capacitor and start relay..
thats external.

Phil scott

which is relativly easy for a good DIY guy to fix

so the OP should check this out, if he is lucky and it is the cap or
relay, he CAN probably fix it on the cheap

OP, you need to determine exactly where the smoke came from ...look
for burned parts near the compressor.

Mark

Posted to alt.home.repair

dgk wrote:
I'm guessing, with no real knowledge, that the compressor went. There
was a burning smell, the fuse blew, and when I ran an extension to the
refrigerator to get that working, smoke came from the big black thing
at the bottom. So, I'm guessing compressor. Is that likely?

If so, a new compressor is around $180, much cheaper than a new
refrig. The parts guy (Sears) says that anyone can replace the
compressor, that I can get a do-it-yourself guide for $15.

A new model would be around $600 and a big pain. Is replacing a
compressor so hard?

Hi,
You did not say how o9ld the thing is. Replacing compressor is doable
but do you know how to recharge it? Do you have proper tools?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 08:26:05 -0400, dgk wrote:

I'm guessing, with no real knowledge, that the compressor went. There
was a burning smell, the fuse blew, and when I ran an extension to the
refrigerator to get that working, smoke came from the big black thing
at the bottom. So, I'm guessing compressor. Is that likely?

If so, a new compressor is around $180, much cheaper than a new
refrig. The parts guy (Sears) says that anyone can replace the
compressor, that I can get a do-it-yourself guide for $15.

A new model would be around $600 and a big pain. Is replacing a
compressor so hard?

Your repair guy is a liar. Replacing the compressor is not a diy job.
You need a refrigerant recovery machine and tank, and epa license to
be messing with and/or purchasing refrigerant, a torch set to weld the
new compressor in, a vacum pump to pull the air out and some new
refrigerant to put back in. Good luck with all that.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 20:09:55 -0400, mm
wrote:

On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 08:26:05 -0400, dgk wrote:

I'm guessing, with no real knowledge, that the compressor went. There
was a burning smell, the fuse blew, and when I ran an extension to the
refrigerator to get that working, smoke came from the big black thing
at the bottom.

That's probably a sea otter. Are you sure the smoke wasn't just
from his cigarette?

So, I'm guessing compressor. Is that likely?

The way you describe it, yes.

Or not. Check the capacitor and I guess the switch, like the other
guy said. I've never met you and I shouldn't believe everything you
say.

If so, a new compressor is around $180, much cheaper than a new
refrig. The parts guy (Sears) says that anyone can replace the
compressor, that I can get a do-it-yourself guide for $15.

I get a lot of my advice from parts guys. I'll never forget the one
who explained that I didn't need a press to get the lug bolts out of
my front wheel hub, or to get them back in, like the shop manual said.
He was 100% right, and saved me much time and money.

But this wone seems to have ignored the need for freon, and the need
to pressurize the system, and probalby the need to evacuate it first.

Is he saying that freon comes included with the compressor?

A new model would be around $600 and a big pain. Is replacing a
compressor so hard?

I'll have to read the other answers to find out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 08:26:05 -0400, dgk wrote:

I'm guessing, with no real knowledge, that the compressor went. There
was a burning smell, the fuse blew, and when I ran an extension to the
refrigerator to get that working, smoke came from the big black thing
at the bottom. So, I'm guessing compressor. Is that likely?

If so, a new compressor is around $180, much cheaper than a new
refrig. The parts guy (Sears) says that anyone can replace the
compressor, that I can get a do-it-yourself guide for $15.

A new model would be around $600 and a big pain. Is replacing a
compressor so hard?

The age of the refrigerator that needs repair should be the deciding
factor.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Phisherman" wrote in message
On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 08:26:05 -0400, dgk wrote:

I'm guessing, with no real knowledge, that the compressor went. There
was a burning smell, the fuse blew, and when I ran an extension to the
refrigerator to get that working, smoke came from the big black thing
at the bottom. So, I'm guessing compressor. Is that likely?

If so, a new compressor is around $180, much cheaper than a new
refrig. The parts guy (Sears) says that anyone can replace the
compressor, that I can get a do-it-yourself guide for $15.

A new model would be around $600 and a big pain. Is replacing a
compressor so hard?

The age of the refrigerator that needs repair should be the deciding
factor.

We replaced a 20 year-old unit in June that was working well. Our July
electric bill dropped by 22%. Don't know how much is due to the frig,
but I suspect most. I'm anxious to see the bill for August. Looks like
it will pay for itself in about 2 years.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dgk dgk is offline

On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 04:47:48 -0700, "Tony Reid"
wrote:

[...]

It was bought in 1999. Years go by fast these days, I thought it was
newer. So, does it pay to fix it? I think not. The gasket is getting
older, maybe I'll fix whatever is wrong and it something else will go
wrong in six more months and destroy all the food again.

This one was already a ton more efficient than the one that it
replaced, but I don't think they've gotten any more efficient in the
last 9 years so that isn't a factor.

I found a decent Friidaire floor model. Nothing fancy but that means
less to go wrong. For $75, it got delivered, installed, and the old
one removed. Hopefully this one will be good for at least 9 more
years.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dgk dgk is offline

wrote:

Maybe it got hot enough to burn the black paint on the outside."Mark" wrote in message

Am I the only one wondering how smoke comes out of a sealed
comrpessor?

BINGO!

Mark

Ive seen em blow out the sealed wire terminal penetrations .. makes
all kinds of black smoke, blows oil all over the place.. * or they
just leak.

most likely though is an exploded start capacitor and start relay..
thats external.

Phil scott

which is relativly easy for a good DIY guy to fix

so the OP should check this out, if he is lucky and it is the cap or
relay, he CAN probably fix it on the cheap

OP, you need to determine exactly where the smoke came from ...look
for burned parts near the compressor.

Mark

Thanks, but I went and got a decent new one. It would just cost too
much money and time for me to find out what was wrong and fix it.
That's often the problem, just to find out what's wrong costs too much
money.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

"Phisherman" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

You should see a solid reduction in electricity usage. According to
PG&E "if it's over 10 years old, it could be using up to three times
more energy than newer models".

Posted to alt.home.repair

A Sears guy telling a lie? Imagine that!

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message
refrig. The parts guy (Sears) says that anyone can replace the
compressor, that I can get a do-it-yourself guide for $15.

A new model would be around $600 and a big pain. Is replacing a
compressor so hard?

Your repair guy is a liar. Replacing the compressor is not a diy job.
You need a refrigerant recovery machine and tank, and epa license to
be messing with and/or purchasing refrigerant, a torch set to weld the
new compressor in, a vacum pump to pull the air out and some new
refrigerant to put back in. Good luck with all that.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

refrig. The parts guy (Sears) says that anyone can replace the
compressor, that I can get a do-it-yourself guide for $15.

A new model would be around $600 and a big pain. Is replacing a
compressor so hard?

Your repair guy is a liar. Replacing the compressor is not a diy job.
You need a refrigerant recovery machine and tank, and epa license to
be messing with and/or purchasing refrigerant, a torch set to weld the
new compressor in, a vacum pump to pull the air out and some new
refrigerant to put back in. Good luck with all that.

it pays to be accurate... people that give loopy advice are mostly
just ignorant.
Not too many lie about such a thing, he had nothing to gain.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed 27 Aug 2008 09:42:37p, phil scott told us...

wrote in message

refrig. The parts guy (Sears) says that anyone can replace the
compressor, that I can get a do-it-yourself guide for $15.

A new model would be around $600 and a big pain. Is replacing a
compressor so hard?

Your repair guy is a liar. Replacing the compressor is not a diy job.
You need a refrigerant recovery machine and tank, and epa license to
be messing with and/or purchasing refrigerant, a torch set to weld the
new compressor in, a vacum pump to pull the air out and some new
refrigerant to put back in. Good luck with all that.

it pays to be accurate... people that give loopy advice are mostly
just ignorant.
Not too many lie about such a thing, he had nothing to gain.

I realize that replacing a compressor in a refrigerator is not the same
thing as replacing a compressor in a central air conditioner, but we
recently paid $860 in labor to have an in-warranty compressor replaced in
our central a/c. It was a four hour task that involved recovry of all
existing refrigerant, disassembly and removal of the old compressor,
installation of the new compressor, recharing the unit with new freon 22,
and testing of refrigerant levels and checking of temperatures of both the
liquid and gas lines to and from the evaporator unit. Several pieces of
spcial equipment were required. Having watched the process, it's not
something I'd care to tackle myself. Best left to the pros unless you're a
refrigerator guy.

Just my 2¢ worth.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Thursday, 08(VIII)/28(XXVIII)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Labor Day
3dys 18hrs 15mins
'No one told me when to run; I missed
the starting gun.' -- Pink Floyd
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
A Sears guy telling a lie? Imagine that!

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
*www.lds.org
.

wrote in message

. ..

refrig. The parts guy (Sears) says that anyone can replace the
compressor, that I can get a do-it-yourself guide for $15.

A new model would be around $600 and a big pain. Is replacing a
compressor so hard?

Your repair guy is a liar. Replacing the compressor is not a diy job.
You need a refrigerant recovery machine and tank, and epa license to
be messing with and/or purchasing refrigerant, a torch set to weld the
new compressor in, a vacum pump to pull the air out and some new
refrigerant to put back in. Good luck with all that.

it pays to be accurate... *people that give loopy advice are mostly
just ignorant.
Not too many lie about such a thing, he had nothing to gain.

I realize that replacing a compressor in a refrigerator is not the same
thing as replacing a compressor in a central air conditioner,

changing a compressor in an air conditioner or refrigerator are just
about the same task, bigger compressor in the ac is all... the refrig
compressor has more critical moisture and contamination issues though
due to its well below freezing temperatures (even a slight trace of
moisture inside the system can freeze up the capilary tube...and
charging the refrigerant is a lot trickier with a home style refrig)

but we
recently paid $860 in labor to have an in-warranty compressor replaced in
our central a/c.

thats nasty. wholesale on many of the comon type 3 ton condensing
units, fan, cabinet, compressor and all is under $1,000 ...in calif.
(high priced market) you can get a complete 3 ton add on system,
cooling coil, wiring, condensing unit etc. installed... $2500.

Next time get a warranty that includes labor if you can... or skip the
warranty all together. I dont buy them myself.

*It was a four hour task that involved recovry of all
existing refrigerant, disassembly and removal of the old compressor,
installation of the new compressor, recharing the unit with new freon 22,
and testing of refrigerant levels and checking of temperatures of both the
liquid and gas lines to and from the evaporator unit. *Several pieces of
spcial equipment were required. *Having watched the process, it's not
something I'd care to tackle myself. *Best left to the pros unless you're a
refrigerator guy.

yes, its a high tech job... unfortunately these days performed by some
very low tech people..that
can and often does ruin compressors. it sounds in your case like the
guy may have been competent
though.

Phil scott

Just my 2¢ worth.

--
* * * * * * *Wayne Boatwright * * * * * *

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu 28 Aug 2008 09:13:35a, phil scott told us...

wrote:
A Sears guy telling a lie? Imagine that!

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
*www.lds.org
.

wrote in message

. ..

[...]

Yes, the same principle, but as you said, there are other issues.

but we
recently paid $860 in labor to have an in-warranty compressor replaced
in our central a/c.

thats nasty. wholesale on many of the comon type 3 ton condensing
units, fan, cabinet, compressor and all is under $1,000 ...in calif.
(high priced market) you can get a complete 3 ton add on system,
cooling coil, wiring, condensing unit etc. installed... $2500.

New house with new A/C (1-1/2 years old). The equipment has a 10 warranty,
but labor warranty was only a year. Since the A/C came with the house,
there was no option on getting a different warranty on the labor. (I asked
when we bought the house.) It's a 5 ton unit. Since it was a fairly new
unit, I couldn't see replacing the whole system.

Next time get a warranty that includes labor if you can... or skip the
warranty all together. I dont buy them myself.

The company who originally installed the system did the replacement. In
discussion with the tech who did the work, I learned that they offer a
maintenance plan for $225/year that includes two inspections/services per
year, and also includes labor for any work that needs to be performed.
That would include labor for replacing the compressor. We have taken the
maintenance plan for the future.

*It was a four hour task that involved recovry of all
existing refrigerant, disassembly and removal of the old compressor,
installation of the new compressor, recharing the unit with new freon
22, and testing of refrigerant levels and checking of temperatures of
both th

liquid and gas lines to and from the evaporator unit. *Several pieces o

spcial equipment were required. *Having watched the process, it's not
something I'd care to tackle myself. *Best left to the pros unless you'

re a
refrigerator guy.

yes, its a high tech job... unfortunately these days performed by some
very low tech people..that
can and often does ruin compressors. it sounds in your case like the
guy may have been competent
though.

I totally agree. This guy was good. My dad was an HVAC engineer and I
grew up learning a lot about these things. I spent a lot of time with the
guy while he was working. I'd ask for him back.

Thanks for your comments, Phil.

Phil scott

Just my 2¢ worth.

--
* * * * * * *Wayne Boatwright * * * * * *

Date: Thursday, 08(VIII)/28(XXVIII)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Labor Day
3dys 13hrs
Guns don't kill people, I do.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Four hours is a very reasonable time. For all that's got to be done. I do a
compressor on small equipment, typically three hours.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

5.247...

Date: Thursday, 08(VIII)/28(XXVIII)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Labor Day
3dys 18hrs 15mins
'No one told me when to run; I missed
the starting gun.' -- Pink Floyd

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
A Sears guy telling a lie? Imagine that!

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
*www.lds.org
.

wrote in message

. ..

[...]

5 ton condensing unit new if its low end model will wholesale for 1200
dollars or more... it its high efficiency, seer 12 or 14 a lot
higher....

did you see the guy solder in a new drier? thats a grey or blue
thing, generally 3 or 4" in diameter, 6 to 10" long... located either
inside the condensing unit, or outside in the small copper line.

Your tech guy sounded at least reasonably competent to me... however
those driers (they remove acid contamination also) are critical to the
compressor lasting more than a few years, the ones inside the unit are
often hard to replace so are not replaced..not good. Its also not
good to just add a drier on the outside and leave the old one in
place ..but its not fatal and would still give you good acid
protection.

If he did not replace the old drier, he owes you one.. a new drier is
industry std protocol for compressor replacement even if there was no
acid or other problem. You can usually see the inside drier by
looking down through the fan cowling opening.

Next time get a warranty that includes labor if you can... or skip the
warranty all together. *I dont buy them myself.

The company who originally installed the system did the replacement. *In
discussion with the tech who did the work, I learned that they offer a
maintenance plan for $225/year that includes two inspections/services per
year, and also includes labor for any work that needs to be performed. *
That would include labor for replacing the compressor. *We have taken the
maintenance plan for the future.

given its a replacement compressor thats a good deal...they keep
bringing up green flags with
me, thats not entirely usual these days.

but make sure you got a new drier. (if any doubt look for dust on the
old drier)

Phil scott

Date: Thursday, 08(VIII)/28(XXVIII)/08(MMVIII)
* * * * *Countdown till Labor Day * * * *
* * * * * * * * 3dys 13hrs * * * * * * * *
* * * *Guns don't kill people, I do. * * *

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu 28 Aug 2008 12:40:28p, phil scott told us...

5 ton condensing unit new if its low end model will wholesale for 1200
dollars or more... it its high efficiency, seer 12 or 14 a lot
higher....

Our system is right in the middle, seer 13.

did you see the guy solder in a new drier? thats a grey or blue
thing, generally 3 or 4" in diameter, 6 to 10" long... located either
inside the condensing unit, or outside in the small copper line.

Yes, he did install a new drier inside the condensing unit. The housing of
our unit is fairly large with easy access panels. It didn't seem as though
he had much trouble working with it. He also replaced a contactor switch
and a couple of solenoids, although he said the old ones were probably
okay, he wanted to be sure we didn't have a problem. All parts were
covered by the warranty.

*
That would include labor for replacing the compressor. *We have taken t

he
maintenance plan for the future.

given its a replacement compressor thats a good deal...they keep
bringing up green flags with
me, thats not entirely usual these days.

but make sure you got a new drier. (if any doubt look for dust on the
old drier)

We're good. Thanks, Phil. You brought up some good points. I'm glad we
had a good service tech.

Phil scott

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Thursday, 08(VIII)/28(XXVIII)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Labor Day
3dys 9hrs 38mins
If you don't like lawyers, the next
time you're arrested, hire a comedian.

Date: Thursday, 08(VIII)/28(XXVIII)/08(MMVIII)
* * * * *Countdown till Labor Day * * * *
* * * * * * *3dys 9hrs 38mins * * * * * * *
* * If you don't like lawyers, the next * *
* time you're arrested, hire a comedian. *

13 seer in a contractor built home is quite unusual, speaks highly for
all concerned, as does the installation of a drier and new contactor..
your contractors tech guy is in the top 2% or so... with fair rates
considering the quality.

Phil scott

Date: Thursday, 08(VIII)/28(XXVIII)/08(MMVIII)
* * * * *Countdown till Labor Day * * * *
* * * * * * *3dys 9hrs 38mins * * * * * * *
* * If you don't like lawyers, the next * *
* time you're arrested, hire a comedian. *

13 seer in a contractor built home is quite unusual, speaks highly for
all concerned, as does the installation of a drier and new contactor..
your contractors tech guy is in the top 2% or so... with fair rates
considering the quality.

Phil scott

Yes, I thought so, too. We'd had not dealt directly with this company
before and I was concerned before I actually saw the work being done and
conversing with the tech. At the time of the problem we had little choice,
but I have since done some research on the company and found that they are
highly regarded in the area for both commercial and residential HVAC work.

Finding a good technical person these days is like find a good doctor.
After moving to AZ, we went through 5 primary care physicians before we
found a really good one and one that we liked. We were lucky with the HVAC
company and tech.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Thursday, 08(VIII)/28(XXVIII)/08(MMVIII)