Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default anti seize

What are the different applications for the 2 different antiseize
compounds commonly available. One is gray colored and the other is
copper based. Most of my stuff is aluminum with stainless fasteners
around salt water, which would be better. I thought copper would cause
aluminum to corrode around salt water.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 16 May 2009 05:37:19 -0700 (PDT), mark
wrote:

What are the different applications for the 2 different antiseize
compounds commonly available. One is gray colored and the other is
copper based. Most of my stuff is aluminum with stainless fasteners
around salt water, which would be better. I thought copper would cause
aluminum to corrode around salt water.

Actually, if you are using stainless fasteners in aluminum in a salt
water environment you want an insulator since the problem is really
galvanic corrosion. They make special stuff but I have also used 3M
5200 successfully and others say that loktite works.

I don't remember the name of the insulating stuff but most chandleries
should stock it.
Don't use the copper bearing antiseize.

Cheers,

Bruce in Bangkok
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Either the lead based (grey) or the copper based anti-seize works well in a
salt water environment. They both provide two essential properties anti
galling lubrication and a moisture barrier. Although other products like
sealants provide a moisture barrier, they do not provide the high pressure
lubrication anti-seize offers. This is important to note especially in a
stainless bolt in a stainless hole.
Steve

"mark" wrote in message
What are the different applications for the 2 different antiseize
compounds commonly available. One is gray colored and the other is
copper based. Most of my stuff is aluminum with stainless fasteners
around salt water, which would be better. I thought copper would cause
aluminum to corrode around salt water.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
"Steve Lusardi" wrote:

"mark" wrote in message
What are the different applications for the 2 different antiseize
compounds commonly available. One is gray colored and the other is
copper based. Most of my stuff is aluminum with stainless fasteners
around salt water, which would be better. I thought copper would cause
aluminum to corrode around salt water.

Either the lead based (grey) or the copper based anti-seize works well in a
salt water environment. They both provide two essential properties anti
galling lubrication and a moisture barrier. Although other products like
sealants provide a moisture barrier, they do not provide the high pressure
lubrication anti-seize offers. This is important to note especially in a
stainless bolt in a stainless hole.

Stainless is stainless only so long as there is sufficient oxygen
available. If you have a deep threaded hole with screw, both stainless,
wetted with seawater, the stainless steel will rust like mild steel.

Google for "stainless crevice corrosion" (without the quotes).

Complete embedment using low-strength loctite may be the better solution.

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On May 16, 8:37*am, mark wrote:
What are the different applications for the 2 different antiseize
compounds commonly available. One is *gray colored and the other is
copper based. Most of my stuff is aluminum with stainless fasteners
around salt water, which would be better. I thought copper would cause
aluminum to corrode around salt water.

I've heard the copper based is the 'worst' to use on aluminum, the
grey goo is usually a triple formula of aluminum-copper- and
somethingorother.

The 'best' for steel-aluminum is supposedly zinc-based anti-seize.

The triple-base grey goo seems to work OK on aluminum-steel.

Dave

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On May 21, 9:26*am, Joe wrote:
On Mon, 18 May 2009 06:19:52 -0700 (PDT), wrote:
On May 16, 8:37*am, mark wrote:
What are the different applications for the 2 different antiseize
compounds commonly available. One is *gray colored and the other is
copper based. Most of my stuff is aluminum with stainless fasteners
around salt water, which would be better. I thought copper would cause
aluminum to corrode around salt water.

I've heard the copper based is the 'worst' to use on aluminum, the
grey goo is usually a triple formula of aluminum-copper- and
somethingorother.

The 'best' for steel-aluminum is supposedly zinc-based anti-seize.

The triple-base grey goo seems to work OK on aluminum-steel.

Dave

The grey stuff I use is a nickel-based compound; it supposedly works
at higher temps than the copper stuff, but most of the mechs here
prefer the copper. I use the copper all the time on my spark plug
threads (steel into Al heads), and have had no problems in 20+ years.

Joe

Yeah, I was skeptical too, and have not seen problems with the copper
based stuff.

It might be more of a problem where you have, say, a long steel bolt
going through an aluminum hole, and there is not enough heat to drive
out moisture.

Dave
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On May 16, 8:37 am, mark wrote:
[...]

Neverseeze without copper for aluminum. Especially in sal****er. Copper
will cause corrosion. Why the alloys used in boat building are as copper
free as they can make it. Throw a copper penny in the bilge and eventually
you will have a penny size hole through the hull.