Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bruce in Bangkok[_10_] Bruce in Bangkok[_10_] is offline

Default anti seize

On Sat, 16 May 2009 05:37:19 -0700 (PDT), mark
wrote:

What are the different applications for the 2 different antiseize
compounds commonly available. One is gray colored and the other is
copper based. Most of my stuff is aluminum with stainless fasteners
around salt water, which would be better. I thought copper would cause
aluminum to corrode around salt water.

Actually, if you are using stainless fasteners in aluminum in a salt
water environment you want an insulator since the problem is really
galvanic corrosion. They make special stuff but I have also used 3M
5200 successfully and others say that loktite works.

I don't remember the name of the insulating stuff but most chandleries
should stock it.
Don't use the copper bearing antiseize.

Cheers,

Bruce in Bangkok