Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default What is this? In the dropbox.

A strange metal tool? Came with the mill I bought.
7" OAL. Shaft is about 8mm. Has a lens in the loop at the end. Lens
does not magnify. In fact reduces the image by 2 or 3

In the dropbox at 01april09_002.jpg.

Thanks
Bob AZ
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob AZ wrote:
A strange metal tool? Came with the mill I bought.
7" OAL. Shaft is about 8mm. Has a lens in the loop at the end. Lens
does not magnify. In fact reduces the image by 2 or 3

In the dropbox at 01april09_002.jpg.

Thanks
Bob AZ

I looked between:
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/_vti_cnf/
and
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/...Round_dial.txt

Didn't see your April the 1st photo listed.

--Winston

--

Don't *faff*, dear.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 3 May 2009 23:03:45 -0700 (PDT), Bob AZ
wrote:

01april09_002.jpg

Unable to find it.

Gunner

"Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with
minimum food or water,in austere conditions, day and night. The only thing
clean on him is his weapon. He doesn't worry about what workout to do---
his rucksack weighs what it weighs, and he runs until the enemy stops chasing him.
The True Believer doesn't care 'how hard it is'; he knows he either wins or he dies.
He doesn't go home at 1700; he is home. He knows only the 'Cause.' Now, who wants to quit?"

NCOIC of the Special Forces Assessment and Selection Course in a welcome speech to new SF candidates
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 04 May 2009 00:50:18 -0700, the infamous Gunner Asch
scrawled the following:

On Sun, 3 May 2009 23:03:45 -0700 (PDT), Bob AZ
wrote:

01april09_002.jpg

Unable to find it.

Hmmm...izzis a belated April Fools joke?

--
The scientific theory I like best is that the rings of Saturn
are composed entirely of lost airline luggage.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

01april09_002.jpg

Unable to find it.

Hmmm...izzis a belated April Fools joke?

All

Tried again and have it right I think.

The file nonmagnifying_lens.txt has been added to the Drop Box as

"nonmagnifying_lens.txt".

and

The file 01april09 002.jpg has been added to the Drop Box as

"01april09_002.jpg".

Thanks
Bob AZ

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob AZ wrote:

(...)
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/...fying_lens.txt
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/01april09_002.jpg

Got it!

I have no idea what that is.

--Winston

--

Don't *faff*, dear.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-05-04, Winston wrote:
Bob AZ wrote:
A strange metal tool? Came with the mill I bought.
7" OAL. Shaft is about 8mm. Has a lens in the loop at the end. Lens
does not magnify. In fact reduces the image by 2 or 3

In the dropbox at 01april09_002.jpg.

Thanks
Bob AZ

I looked between:
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/_vti_cnf/
and
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/...Round_dial.txt

Didn't see your April the 1st photo listed.

It is there -- but usually it takes some time for the images to
be processed into the dropbox -- what with the need to scan for spam and
viruses being uploaded to it.

As for what it is -- I have no guess -- though more views might
help a bit.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 04 May 2009 18:31:39 -0700, the infamous Winston
scrawled the following:

Bob AZ wrote:

(...)
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/...fying_lens.txt
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/01april09_002.jpg

Got it!

I have no idea what that is.

Agreed, but it's quite a lovely whatever, isn't it?

--
The scientific theory I like best is that the rings of Saturn
are composed entirely of lost airline luggage.
--Mark Russell
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-05-04, Winston wrote:

(...)

Didn't see your April the 1st photo listed.

It is there -- but usually it takes some time for the images to
be processed into the dropbox -- what with the need to scan for spam and
viruses being uploaded to it.

Thanks, DoN.

It did finally appear for me as well.

--Winston

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Mon, 04 May 2009 18:31:39 -0700, the infamous Winston
scrawled the following:

Bob AZ wrote:

(...)
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/...fying_lens.txt
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/01april09_002.jpg

Got it!

I have no idea what that is.

Agreed, but it's quite a lovely whatever, isn't it?

Indeed.

Quite the candidate for Rob H's 'What is It?' feature.

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
Winston wrote:

Bob AZ wrote:

(...)
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/...fying_lens.txt
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/01april09_002.jpg

Got it!

I have no idea what that is.

I'd venture a guess that it's a beam expander, used with a matching
positive lens assembly to take a laser bean (~1 mm diameter) and expand
it to fill the aperture of an optical system (~10 mm diameter).

The positive and negative lens assemblies will be identical, differing
only in the kind of lens that's mounted. The lens powers will be
identical, except for sign.

The metal post and parallel fin look like they are designed to allow
vertical adjustment while preventing rotation. This is convenient on an
optical bench.

A posting to sci.optics will probably evoke the make and model, if my
guess is correct.

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 04 May 2009 22:09:41 -0700, the infamous Winston
scrawled the following:

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Mon, 04 May 2009 18:31:39 -0700, the infamous Winston
scrawled the following:

Bob AZ wrote:

(...)
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/...fying_lens.txt
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/01april09_002.jpg

Got it!

I have no idea what that is.

Agreed, but it's quite a lovely whatever, isn't it?

Indeed.

Quite the candidate for Rob H's 'What is It?' feature.

It appears that the wings, upon which the spyglass and bracket reside,
fold down. Judging by the rod and a flat cut into the end of it, maybe
this is a piece which fits into a music box and spins, like the
little, articulated, dancing ballerinas. Curious!

--
The scientific theory I like best is that the rings of Saturn
are composed entirely of lost airline luggage.
--Mark Russell
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-05-05, Joseph Gwinn wrote:
In article ,
Winston wrote:

Bob AZ wrote:

(...)
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/...fying_lens.txt
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/01april09_002.jpg

Got it!

I have no idea what that is.

I'd venture a guess that it's a beam expander, used with a matching
positive lens assembly to take a laser bean (~1 mm diameter) and expand
it to fill the aperture of an optical system (~10 mm diameter).

The positive and negative lens assemblies will be identical, differing
only in the kind of lens that's mounted. The lens powers will be
identical, except for sign.

And the degree of final expansion a function of the focal
lengths and the spacing of the lenses.

The metal post and parallel fin look like they are designed to allow
vertical adjustment while preventing rotation. This is convenient on an
optical bench.

Yes -- but the polished surfaces are uncommon in an optical
table which has lasers involved, as the potential danger from specular
reflection is significant, depending on the type of laser.

A posting to sci.optics will probably evoke the make and model, if my
guess is correct.

Likely so.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,

On 2009-05-05, Joseph Gwinn wrote:
In article ,
Winston wrote:

Bob AZ wrote:

(...)
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/...fying_lens.txt
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/01april09_002.jpg

Got it!

I have no idea what that is.

I'd venture a guess that it's a beam expander, used with a matching
positive lens assembly to take a laser bean (~1 mm diameter) and expand
it to fill the aperture of an optical system (~10 mm diameter).

The positive and negative lens assemblies will be identical, differing
only in the kind of lens that's mounted. The lens powers will be
identical, except for sign.

And the degree of final expansion a function of the focal
lengths and the spacing of the lenses.

Yep.

The metal post and parallel fin look like they are designed to allow
vertical adjustment while preventing rotation. This is convenient on an
optical bench.

Yes -- but the polished surfaces are uncommon in an optical
table which has lasers involved, as the potential danger from specular
reflection is significant, depending on the type of laser.

It may be intended for use in teaching, and/or assume a HeNe laser.

Not all lasers are weapons-grade.

Joe

A posting to sci.optics will probably evoke the make and model, if my
guess is correct.

Likely so.

Enjoy,
DoN.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-05-06, Joseph Gwinn wrote:
In article ,
"DoN. Nichols" wrote:

[ ... ]

And the degree of final expansion a function of the focal
lengths and the spacing of the lenses.

Yep.

The metal post and parallel fin look like they are designed to allow
vertical adjustment while preventing rotation. This is convenient on an
optical bench.

Yes -- but the polished surfaces are uncommon in an optical
table which has lasers involved, as the potential danger from specular
reflection is significant, depending on the type of laser.

It may be intended for use in teaching, and/or assume a HeNe laser.

Not all lasers are weapons-grade.

Yes -- but even HeNe lasers with less than 1mW output power
(such as the Spectra Physics one which I have) still bear warnings to
not let the beam hit someone's eye -- and specular reflections *can*
cause that to happen.

Granted -- I was a *lot* more worried about it with the Nd-Yag
ones I used at work. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,

On 2009-05-06, Joseph Gwinn wrote:
In article ,
"DoN. Nichols" wrote:

[ ... ]

And the degree of final expansion a function of the focal
lengths and the spacing of the lenses.

Yep.

The metal post and parallel fin look like they are designed to allow
vertical adjustment while preventing rotation. This is convenient on an
optical bench.

Yes -- but the polished surfaces are uncommon in an optical
table which has lasers involved, as the potential danger from specular
reflection is significant, depending on the type of laser.

It may be intended for use in teaching, and/or assume a HeNe laser.

Not all lasers are weapons-grade.

Yes -- but even HeNe lasers with less than 1mW output power
(such as the Spectra Physics one which I have) still bear warnings to
not let the beam hit someone's eye -- and specular reflections *can*
cause that to happen.

Curved surfaces are not going to be a problem, as the beam will spread.

The warnings are standard, the wording appear to be set by law or
regulation, and my current laser pointer claims about 5 mW at 633 nm
(bright red).

The theory is that you'll blink before anything bad happens. Can't say
that I've ever heard of an actual horror case.

Granted -- I was a *lot* more worried about it with the Nd-Yag
ones I used at work. :-)

Can't even blink them away. Invisible. Good for working metal, and eye
surgery.

Joe Gwinn

Dropbox Posting JR North Metalworking 2 November 10th 08 05:46 PM
SP125 PLUS changes in dropbox [email protected] Metalworking 5 May 1st 08 01:40 PM
My MOT spotwelder is in the DropBox Bob Engelhardt Metalworking 27 March 14th 08 07:12 PM
dropbox problems Randy Replogle Metalworking 3 April 23rd 06 02:06 PM
Photos in Dropbox Pete Keillor Metalworking 14 June 16th 05 05:05 AM