Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Free CAD programs -- QCAD

Ages ago I was on here asking about CAD programs.

I just finished CAD-ifying a set of drawings for a 1/10th scale Laird
Solution.

I used QCAD, because it's the only CAD program that Ubuntu lists as
being 'native'. I couldn't get my head wrapped around using it (I
suspect it was a problem with CAD in general, not QCAD). I found a
tutorial on the web on how to do one specific thing which opened the
window, now I'm charging along with it.

It's only 2-D, but it's free, it makes DXF files, and it's available for
both Windows and Linux.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tim Wescott writes:

Ages ago I was on here asking about CAD programs.

I just finished CAD-ifying a set of drawings for a 1/10th scale Laird
Solution.

I used QCAD, because it's the only CAD program that Ubuntu lists as
being 'native'. I couldn't get my head wrapped around using it (I
suspect it was a problem with CAD in general, not QCAD). I found a
tutorial on the web on how to do one specific thing which opened the
window, now I'm charging along with it.

It's only 2-D, but it's free, it makes DXF files, and it's available
for both Windows and Linux.

I just finished using it to draw up a patio for my house (waiting on an
estimate from the contractor now....). My experience was the same as
yours; I found its interface to be extremely counterintuitive, but I
don't know whether other CAD packages are the same. I also found a
tutorial (darn! It isn't bookmarked -- I wonder if it's the same one?),
and also was able to make very quick progress once I'd done that.

I need to spend some more time looking for an equivalent 3D program,
though....
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 29 Apr 2009 14:15:00 -0700, Tim Wescott
wrote:

Ages ago I was on here asking about CAD programs.

I just finished CAD-ifying a set of drawings for a 1/10th scale Laird
Solution.

I used QCAD, because it's the only CAD program that Ubuntu lists as
being 'native'. I couldn't get my head wrapped around using it (I
suspect it was a problem with CAD in general, not QCAD). I found a
tutorial on the web on how to do one specific thing which opened the
window, now I'm charging along with it.

It's only 2-D, but it's free, it makes DXF files, and it's available for
both Windows and Linux.

Can you give me a URL for the free version as the only free versions I
have located is the demo version that only works for 10 minutes at a
time.

Cheers,

Bruce in Bangkok
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Ages ago I was on here asking about CAD programs.

I just finished CAD-ifying a set of drawings for a 1/10th scale Laird
Solution.

I used QCAD, because it's the only CAD program that Ubuntu lists as
being 'native'. I couldn't get my head wrapped around using it (I
suspect it was a problem with CAD in general, not QCAD). I found a
tutorial on the web on how to do one specific thing which opened the
window, now I'm charging along with it.

It's only 2-D, but it's free, it makes DXF files, and it's available for
both Windows and Linux.

Can you give me a URL for the free version as the only free versions I
have located is the demo version that only works for 10 minutes at a
time.

I thought I was wrong about QCAD being available for windows, but I
wasn't as wrong as I thought.

Ribbonsoft doesn't support the free QCAD versions, so all you get from
their web site is for-pay, demo, or a big steaming pile-o-source. But
there's a QCAD binary for Windows (can I call it Windoze if I'm on a
Linux machine?) on Sourceforge:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/qcadbin-win/.

If you try it, please let me know how it works on Windows -- it's
reasonable OK on Linux, although it does occasionally mysteriously crash
or otherwise start misbehavin', so I have to make sure to save often.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 29, 7:34*pm, Joe Pfeiffer wrote:
Tim Wescott writes:

Ages ago I was on here asking about CAD programs.

- snip-

I need to spend some more time looking for an equivalent 3D program,
though....

Hi,

Might be worth looking at ViaCAD 2D-3D:

http://www.punchcad.com/products/viacad2d3d.htm

I've been using their version 6 to good effect lately.

Not free, but at only $99 it is a good value for what you get ... IMHO
of course, YMMV.
Mac and Windows cross-platform support.
The video tutorials that come with it are a nice way to shorten the
learning curve associated with any CAD program.

Good luck.
--
PaulS

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

PaulS writes:

Might be worth looking at ViaCAD 2D-3D:

http://www.punchcad.com/products/viacad2d3d.htm

I've been using their version 6 to good effect lately.

Not free, but at only $99 it is a good value for what you get ... IMHO
of course, YMMV.
Mac and Windows cross-platform support.
The video tutorials that come with it are a nice way to shorten the
learning curve associated with any CAD program.

Unfortunately, for me "no Linux" is a deal-breaker.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Joe Pfeiffer wrote:
PaulS writes:
Might be worth looking at ViaCAD 2D-3D:

http://www.punchcad.com/products/viacad2d3d.htm

I've been using their version 6 to good effect lately.

Not free, but at only $99 it is a good value for what you get ... IMHO
of course, YMMV.
Mac and Windows cross-platform support.
The video tutorials that come with it are a nice way to shorten the
learning curve associated with any CAD program.

Unfortunately, for me "no Linux" is a deal-breaker.

Which is why I'm still running Windoze...

Design CAD -
With the most comfortable and intuitive user interface

http://www.imsidesign.com/Products/O...1/Default.aspx
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Nope, won't work. I was asking because I'm running Fedora, using Agent
with wine to read Usenet but the rest is Linux and so far I haven't
found a usable CAD program.

Cheers,

Bruce in Bangkok
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

_Someone_ is building it for Linux or it wouldn't be available on
Ubuntu; some spelunking may reveal who.

Did you google on QCAD, Linux and Binary, by any chance?

You could always see if the source on their web site builds! It'd be
interesting to see how far you got.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I downloaded a source copy of qcad - community version. First try at
compiling it popped an error message ( need strlen()). Now I'll have
to locate the header files and see what they contain - probably
something like "gnustrlen()" :-)

Cheers,

Bruce in Bangkok
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

That's an ANSI-standard function, and it should come 'stock' in the Gnu C
compiler. Did it pop the error at compile time or link time?

--
http://www.wescottdesign.com
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Link I assume - ./configure worked but Make didn't - error listed at
nearly the end of the process.

Cheers,

Bruce in Bangkok
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

(grumble mumble morble).

It's in a gnu library _somewhere_. I don't know how hard you want to
pursue it, or how much of a software engineer you are, but if you really
want to and you aren't a pro, feel free to email me off list for
suggestions (look to my website for my email).

I'm not an out and out Linux maven, but part of my job for years has
involved writing embedded software; I'm not hopeless at figuring this
stuff out. I would have tried compiling this myself out of curiosity,
but the Ubuntu package list doesn't make it at all clear which of the
Qt-related packages actually has the Qt build environment in it.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I used to write 'C' programs and strlen() should be in one of the
"include" files. In fact, that it gives this error sounds as though it
is not using a standard library.

I'm not sure how much effort it is really worth as all I want is a
program to make simple three view drawings so I can give them to the
shop when I want something made. I can draw it by hand if I have to.

The source I downloaded was called "community" and is minus some of
the features that the commercial version has.

It is obvious that not everybody subscribes to the "open software"
concept that the Linux people all talk about :-)

Cheers,

Bruce in Bangkok
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

It's in string.h. Not having that #included would be really, really
weird for anything that thinks of itself as reasonably professional
software.

I'm not sure how much effort it is really worth as all I want is a
program to make simple three view drawings so I can give them to the
shop when I want something made. I can draw it by hand if I have to.

The source I downloaded was called "community" and is minus some of
the features that the commercial version has.

Doesn't your distribution have it? I was able to get a copy for
Debian...

It is obvious that not everybody subscribes to the "open software"

concept that the Linux people all talk about :-)

This is less an "open software" than a code quality issue.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Damn! I feel stupid.

After running about for a couple of days trying to locate a CAD
program that would compile and run on Linux I, finally, went to the
applications manager and clicked on "qcad". Two minutes later it is
installed..... However, to be frank I am not enamored with Fedora's
ability to find and get applications.

But, as you indirectly recalled to mind that the distribution might
find it, thank you.

Now I gotta draw something :-)

Cheers,

Bruce in Bangkok
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 02 May 2009 12:45:26 +0700, the infamous Bruce in Bangkok
scrawled the following:

Damn! I feel stupid.

After running about for a couple of days trying to locate a CAD
program that would compile and run on Linux I, finally, went to the
applications manager and clicked on "qcad". Two minutes later it is
installed.....

Lucky it warn't a snake, wot?

However, to be frank I am not enamored with Fedora's
ability to find and get applications.

But, as you indirectly recalled to mind that the distribution might
find it, thank you.

Now I gotta draw something :-)

Have fun!

--
The scientific theory I like best is that the rings of Saturn
are composed entirely of lost airline luggage.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-05-11, Edward A. Falk wrote:
Please give xdraft -- http://xdraft.sourceforge.net/ -- a try. It's still in
development, but I could always use some user feedback.

Hmm ... Gnome -- it is present on my Solaris system, but I don't
use it as a window manager, so it may compile but not work for me.

Still -- I will try it as I get a chance.

It was amazing how many clicks I had to make before I got to the
actual download. :-)

Thanks,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Free CAD programs -- IntelliCAD

Anyone have a link to the older free IntelliCAD?

David
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Edward A. Falk wrote:
Please give xdraft -- http://xdraft.sourceforge.net/ -- a try. It's still
in development, but I could always use some user feedback.

Debian Lenny (the very recent Debian 5.0):

dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of xdraft:
xdraft depends on libglib1.2 (= 1.2.0); however:
Package libglib1.2 is not installed.

"libglib1.2ldbl" is supposed to replace libglib1.2 but for some reason
it isn't doing the job.

CAD programs Gary Woodworking 8 February 21st 07 01:54 AM
CAD Programs JJM Woodworking 7 December 9th 05 02:13 PM
Kitchen Design 3D programs, Interior 3D design, Landscape design programs, futa UK diy 0 November 16th 05 10:20 PM
,,CAD/CAM/CAE PROGRAMS, David Willis Electronics Repair 0 December 28th 04 04:35 AM