Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bruce in Bangkok[_9_] Bruce in Bangkok[_9_] is offline

Default Free CAD programs -- QCAD

On Wed, 29 Apr 2009 20:03:48 -0700, Tim Wescott
wrote:

Bruce in Bangkok wrote:
On Wed, 29 Apr 2009 14:15:00 -0700, Tim Wescott
wrote:

Ages ago I was on here asking about CAD programs.

I just finished CAD-ifying a set of drawings for a 1/10th scale Laird
Solution.

I used QCAD, because it's the only CAD program that Ubuntu lists as
being 'native'. I couldn't get my head wrapped around using it (I
suspect it was a problem with CAD in general, not QCAD). I found a
tutorial on the web on how to do one specific thing which opened the
window, now I'm charging along with it.

It's only 2-D, but it's free, it makes DXF files, and it's available for
both Windows and Linux.

Can you give me a URL for the free version as the only free versions I
have located is the demo version that only works for 10 minutes at a
time.

I thought I was wrong about QCAD being available for windows, but I
wasn't as wrong as I thought.

Ribbonsoft doesn't support the free QCAD versions, so all you get from
their web site is for-pay, demo, or a big steaming pile-o-source. But
there's a QCAD binary for Windows (can I call it Windoze if I'm on a
Linux machine?) on Sourceforge:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/qcadbin-win/.

If you try it, please let me know how it works on Windows -- it's
reasonable OK on Linux, although it does occasionally mysteriously crash
or otherwise start misbehavin', so I have to make sure to save often.

Nope, won't work. I was asking because I'm running Fedora, using Agent
with wine to read Usenet but the rest is Linux and so far I haven't
found a usable CAD program.

Cheers,

Bruce in Bangkok
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)