Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default A question about an old heating oil tank

The tank for my oil heat furnace is going on 60 years old. I'm
beginning to worry about internal rust doing it in. I guess it would
start as a drip but it's where it can go for weeks without being
observed. It could be a mess and stink forever. Short of getting a new
tank, is there anything I should do?

--
Al Dykes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 4 Apr 2009 21:38:20 -0400, Al Dykes wrote:

The tank for my oil heat furnace is going on 60 years old. I'm
beginning to worry about internal rust doing it in. I guess it would
start as a drip but it's where it can go for weeks without being
observed. It could be a mess and stink forever. Short of getting a new
tank, is there anything I should do?

Check your insurance.

Specifically check if it has a clause which will pay out *only* if oil that
has leaked leaks onto a neighbour's property. If so, if the thing leaks
but it stays on your property, you pay.

Then check out the cost of cleaning up a spill.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

This question just arose with the mother of a freind. My freind contracted
with a firm that surveys oil tanks. All the oil was pumped into a truck, the
tank cleaned and sonic inspected. The fuel was then filtered, water
seperated and returned to the tank. All this for $400. Compare that cost
with the consequences of a leak and your course of action is clear.
Steve

"Al Dykes" wrote in message

The tank for my oil heat furnace is going on 60 years old. I'm
beginning to worry about internal rust doing it in. I guess it would
start as a drip but it's where it can go for weeks without being
observed. It could be a mess and stink forever. Short of getting a new
tank, is there anything I should do?

--
Al Dykes
News is something someone wants to suppress, everything else is
advertising.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 05 Apr 2009 10:37:28 GMT, _
wrote:

On 4 Apr 2009 21:38:20 -0400, Al Dykes wrote:

The tank for my oil heat furnace is going on 60 years old. I'm
beginning to worry about internal rust doing it in. I guess it would
start as a drip but it's where it can go for weeks without being
observed. It could be a mess and stink forever. Short of getting a new
tank, is there anything I should do?

Check your insurance.

Specifically check if it has a clause which will pay out *only* if oil that
has leaked leaks onto a neighbour's property. If so, if the thing leaks
but it stays on your property, you pay.

Then check out the cost of cleaning up a spill.

Replace it NOW. Most insurance companies today DEMAND tanks be changed
every THIRTY years or they will not insure the house.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 5, 2:38*am, (Al Dykes) wrote:
The tank for my oil heat furnace is going on 60 years old. I'm
beginning to worry about internal rust doing it in. *I guess it would
start as a drip but it's where it can go for weeks without being
observed. It could be a mess and stink forever. Short of getting a new
tank, is there anything I should do?

--
Al Dykes
*News is something someone wants to suppress, everything else is advertising.
* * - Lord Northcliffe, publisher of the Daily Mail

Can you build a tray that can go under the tank that would contain the
heating oil if the tank leaked? Something like another tank laid on
its side with the part now on top removed. Probably simpler to
replace the tank.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article
,
" wrote:

On Apr 5, 2:38*am, (Al Dykes) wrote:
The tank for my oil heat furnace is going on 60 years old. I'm
beginning to worry about internal rust doing it in. *I guess it would
start as a drip but it's where it can go for weeks without being
observed. It could be a mess and stink forever. Short of getting a new
tank, is there anything I should do?

--
Al Dykes
*News is something someone wants to suppress, everything else is
advertising.
* * - Lord Northcliffe, publisher of the Daily Mail

Can you build a tray that can go under the tank that would contain the
heating oil if the tank leaked? Something like another tank laid on
its side with the part now on top removed. Probably simpler to
replace the tank.

There is an ultrasonic instrument used to measure the thickness of tank
walls. I have heard of such instruments being used to measure the
remaining thickness of compressed air tanks. I imagine one can rent
such instruments.

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 5 Apr 2009 16:34:04 +0200, Steve Lusardi wrote:

"Al Dykes" wrote in message

The tank for my oil heat furnace is going on 60 years old. I'm
beginning to worry about internal rust doing it in. I guess it would
start as a drip but it's where it can go for weeks without being
observed. It could be a mess and stink forever. Short of getting a new
tank, is there anything I should do?

[ Steve, I fixed your top-posting for you ]

This question just arose with the mother of a freind. My freind contracted
with a firm that surveys oil tanks. All the oil was pumped into a truck, the
tank cleaned and sonic inspected. The fuel was then filtered, water
seperated and returned to the tank. All this for $400. Compare that cost
with the consequences of a leak and your course of action is clear.
Steve

Compare it also with the cost of a new tank; if the inspection shows you
need one, you'll be paying for a new tank AND the inspection.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
"Al Dykes" wrote in message

The tank for my oil heat furnace is going on 60 years old. I'm
beginning to worry about internal rust doing it in. I guess it would
start as a drip but it's where it can go for weeks without being
observed. It could be a mess and stink forever. Short of getting a new
tank, is there anything I should do?

This question just arose with the mother of a freind. My freind contracted
with a firm that surveys oil tanks. All the oil was pumped into a truck, the
tank cleaned and sonic inspected. The fuel was then filtered, water
seperated and returned to the tank. All this for $400. Compare that cost
with the consequences of a leak and your course of action is clear.
Steve

Two things: If they find a rust spot or two in the old oil tank
they can keep the oil in the truck, purge the tank with inert gas
(just in case), weld up the bad spot, pressure test, then refill the
tank.

If they find a bunch of rust or other larger problems, slide out the
empty old tank, slide in a new tank, connect the lines, then fill it
back up with your filtered oil. Easy peasy.

And either way, they can lift up the empty tank, slide a big drip pan
under it (Secondary Containment) and then refill the tank.

There are commercially made catch basins, or you can find something
and repurpose it - like a 4-drum spill control pallet if it's large
enough. You could even add Metalworking Content and make it yourself
out of 1/8" plate. Get it dip galvanized, or paint the heck out of it
before installing.

You put a float switch in the bottom of the catch pan that shuts off
the furnace and triggers a "Wake the Dead" class alarm if liquid ever
starts building up in the pan.

You could put the same type (but smaller, naturally) catch pan under
the oil burner, if it ever starts leaking there.

Myself, I'd be more inclined to go with a double-wall Fiberglas tank
like Gasoline Stations have to use, and bury it outside in a concrete
vault with pea-gravel backfill and a cap slab...

That takes the chances of a leak down to nearly nil, but now you are
talking Mega Money to do it right.

Though it does get the oil out of the basement.

-- Bruce --