Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
_[_2_] _[_2_] is offline

Default A question about an old heating oil tank

On Sun, 5 Apr 2009 16:34:04 +0200, Steve Lusardi wrote:

"Al Dykes" wrote in message

The tank for my oil heat furnace is going on 60 years old. I'm
beginning to worry about internal rust doing it in. I guess it would
start as a drip but it's where it can go for weeks without being
observed. It could be a mess and stink forever. Short of getting a new
tank, is there anything I should do?

[ Steve, I fixed your top-posting for you ]

This question just arose with the mother of a freind. My freind contracted
with a firm that surveys oil tanks. All the oil was pumped into a truck, the
tank cleaned and sonic inspected. The fuel was then filtered, water
seperated and returned to the tank. All this for $400. Compare that cost
with the consequences of a leak and your course of action is clear.
Steve

Compare it also with the cost of a new tank; if the inspection shows you
need one, you'll be paying for a new tank AND the inspection.