Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default air lock in tank in the loft for heating

Help- i have replaced pump and valve but have a air lock in the tank in
the loft tried draining but water does not come out...can some one
help please.emails would be help full getting very cold.

Clyde

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John

wrote in message
oups.com...
Help- i have replaced pump and valve but have a air lock in the tank in
the loft tried draining but water does not come out...can some one
help please.emails would be help full getting very cold.

Clyde

By valve do you mean the valve that stops the feed from the tank into the
system. If so I did this a few weeks ago on my hot water system and
couldn't get HW when I refilled the header tank and turned it back on. It
took me ages and much head scratching and redraining and refilling before I
stumbled across the solution. I was thinking the problem must be the new
valve wasn't opening so I undid the compression nut on the 'feed' side and
after a little jiggle I heard air coming out and eventually water, rather
like bleeding a radiator. I tightened everything back up and hey presto hot
water. Your problem may not be the same but maybe worth a go.

HTH

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Stumbles

On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 12:07:20 +0000, David Hansen wrote:

On 21 Mar 2006 18:18:11 -0800 someone who may be
wrote this:-

Help- i have replaced pump and valve

This pump is presumably the central heating pump and the valve(s)
the one(s) either side of it.

but have a air lock in the tank in the loft

What sort of tank do you have in the loft? If it is a feed and
expansion tank (a small one) then how do you have an air lock in it?
Do you mean that water is not flowing out of it into the heating
system?

tried draining but water does not come out

If you mean that water doesn't go out of your F&E tank with any drain
point open on the CH pipework, or a radiator valve disconnected or any
other point in the system opened, then you've probably got a blockage
between the outlet of the tank and where it connects into the system. This
can be caused either by crud from the tank having got drawn down into the
pipework or scale having deposited where the cold fresh water from the
tank meets hot water in the CH pipework. The first can be cleared by
flushing backwards through the system with mains pressure water. The
second is best cured by cutting out the sacled-up connection and re-making
it or clearing it manually, but if that's not possible then something like
Kilrock or one of the proprietary CH system descalers will open it up over
a period of time. To get the system going it can be filled from another
point in the pipework (self-cutting washing machine valves are good for
this). Make sure the way to the vent pipe is open and clear, though, or
there will be real danger of explosion.