Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Metal in the Eye and MRI's

Has anybody had one of these orbital x-rays to determine if there are any
metal fragments in or around your eyes prior to an MRI? Apparently the
magnet can move any small piece in your eye and do major damage. When I got
to that point on the consent form I couldn't rule out the possibility....I
guess I'll find out tomorrow.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"ATP*" wrote in message
Has anybody had one of these orbital x-rays to determine if there are any
metal fragments in or around your eyes prior to an MRI? Apparently the
magnet can move any small piece in your eye and do major damage. When I
got to that point on the consent form I couldn't rule out the
possibility....I guess I'll find out tomorrow.

Yep, a few years back. Took about 1 minute - "stand here, hold this", click
and it was done. They came back 5 minutes later and said no problems, go get
your MRI, oh....be sure to remove any genital piercings as well. : )

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 3 Apr 2009 12:55:26 +0800, "Nutz" wrote:

"ATP*" wrote in message
Has anybody had one of these orbital x-rays to determine if there are any
metal fragments in or around your eyes prior to an MRI? Apparently the
magnet can move any small piece in your eye and do major damage. When I
got to that point on the consent form I couldn't rule out the
possibility....I guess I'll find out tomorrow.

Yep, a few years back. Took about 1 minute - "stand here, hold this", click
and it was done. They came back 5 minutes later and said no problems, go get
your MRI, oh....be sure to remove any genital piercings as well. : )

OUCH
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

ATP* wrote:
Has anybody had one of these orbital x-rays to determine if there are
any metal fragments in or around your eyes prior to an MRI?
Apparently the magnet can move any small piece in your eye and do
major damage. When I got to that point on the consent form I couldn't
rule out the possibility....I guess I'll find out tomorrow.

Yes. It is a must and no bother.

--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 2, 6:55*pm, "Nutz" wrote:
"ATP*" wrote in message

Has anybody had one of these orbital x-rays to determine if there are any
metal fragments in or around your eyes prior to an MRI? Apparently the
magnet can move any small piece in your eye and do major damage. When I
got to that point on the consent form I couldn't rule out the
possibility....I guess I'll find out tomorrow.

Yep, a few years back. Took about 1 minute - "stand here, hold this", click
and it was done. They came back 5 minutes later and said no problems, go get
your MRI, oh....be sure to remove any genital piercings as well. *: *)

After much research over the past 60 seconds. I've found out that you
can be safe wearing your genital piercings in an MRI if they're
nonmagnetic (which of course most are) and it's not the area of the
scan.
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...8065648AA9OrhY
Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

kfvorwerk wrote:
On Apr 2, 6:55 pm, "Nutz" wrote:
"ATP*" wrote in message

Has anybody had one of these orbital x-rays to determine if there are any
metal fragments in or around your eyes prior to an MRI? Apparently the
magnet can move any small piece in your eye and do major damage. When I
got to that point on the consent form I couldn't rule out the
possibility....I guess I'll find out tomorrow.

Yep, a few years back. Took about 1 minute - "stand here, hold this", click
and it was done. They came back 5 minutes later and said no problems, go get
your MRI, oh....be sure to remove any genital piercings as well. : )

After much research over the past 60 seconds. I've found out that you
can be safe wearing your genital piercings in an MRI if they're
nonmagnetic (which of course most are) and it's not the area of the
scan.
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...8065648AA9OrhY
Karl

well, THAT's a relief!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael Koblic" wrote in message
ATP* wrote:
Has anybody had one of these orbital x-rays to determine if there are
any metal fragments in or around your eyes prior to an MRI?
Apparently the magnet can move any small piece in your eye and do
major damage. When I got to that point on the consent form I couldn't
rule out the possibility....I guess I'll find out tomorrow.

Yes. It is a must and no bother.

--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

Ditto, three times for the eyes, and many times more for my artificial valve
and stainless steel wiring. No biggie.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

--Been there, done that, nothin' to it..

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Imagine what I could do if
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : I knew what I was doing...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"ATP*" wrote:

Has anybody had one of these orbital x-rays to determine if there are any
metal fragments in or around your eyes prior to an MRI? Apparently the
magnet can move any small piece in your eye and do major damage. When I got
to that point on the consent form I couldn't rule out the possibility....I
guess I'll find out tomorrow.

Damn, that has to be a powerful magnetic force. Metal does show up really well on xray.
Outside of movement, induction heating seems to be part of the risk.

I took a wire brush fragment to my eye once. Not something you forget about quickly.

Wes

in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

kfvorwerk wrote:
On Apr 2, 6:55 pm, "Nutz" wrote:
"ATP*" wrote in message

Has anybody had one of these orbital x-rays to determine if there are any
metal fragments in or around your eyes prior to an MRI? Apparently the
magnet can move any small piece in your eye and do major damage. When I
got to that point on the consent form I couldn't rule out the
possibility....I guess I'll find out tomorrow.

Yep, a few years back. Took about 1 minute - "stand here, hold this", click
and it was done. They came back 5 minutes later and said no problems, go get
your MRI, oh....be sure to remove any genital piercings as well. : )

After much research over the past 60 seconds. I've found out that you
can be safe wearing your genital piercings in an MRI if they're
nonmagnetic (which of course most are) and it's not the area of the
scan.
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...8065648AA9OrhY
Karl

I wouldn't be so sure. Any metal in the body, if placed within the
gradient coils and the RF coils, can get hot. No, make that HOT!!!
They are pumping up to 14 KW of RF into your body in some of the newer
machines.

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jon Elson" wrote in message
kfvorwerk wrote:
On Apr 2, 6:55 pm, "Nutz" wrote:
"ATP*" wrote in message

[...]

no, it depends upon the metal. i have a metal plate and screws in my neck
and have had numerous mri's. yes, i've also had the orbital scan for eye
metal fragments. you only need to do this once, and as long as you don't
have any further eye/metal problems, it doesn't need to be repeated.