Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Lincoln welder what size rotary phase does it need?

I got a 400 amp Lincoln power supply and I am pretty sure my rotary phase
converter is to small to run it. It's an Idealarc R3S-325 and I down loaded
a copy of the manual and it say it will draw 51 amps. Any one try running
one of these on a rotary phase?

My rotary phase converter is an older factory built unit. It has 3 switch
positions. Center is off. Up is "Start" and once it's running you push the
switch to down. There is no markings that I have found on it. It's is a
large unit and runs my lathe just fine. My lathe is 7 1/2 HP. The question
is really will it run my welder. I plan on using .03 solid wire most of the
time, if not all the time. I will probably never run it turned up all the
way.

Richard W.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-03-31, Richard W. wrote:
I got a 400 amp Lincoln power supply and I am pretty sure my rotary phase
converter is to small to run it. It's an Idealarc R3S-325 and I down loaded
a copy of the manual and it say it will draw 51 amps. Any one try running
one of these on a rotary phase?

My rotary phase converter is an older factory built unit. It has 3 switch
positions. Center is off. Up is "Start" and once it's running you push the
switch to down. There is no markings that I have found on it. It's is a
large unit and runs my lathe just fine. My lathe is 7 1/2 HP. The question
is really will it run my welder. I plan on using .03 solid wire most of the
time, if not all the time. I will probably never run it turned up all the
way.

The nice thing about welders, if they do not have power factor
correction, is that you only need the phase converter to match your
welding parameters, not the maximum size of the welder.

If your phase converter can run a 7.5 HP lathe, it can probblay make
your welder produce appx. 5.6 kW of output. At 30 volts, it translates
into almost two hundred amps of welding current, which should cover
most of your needs.

I ran a Hobart CyberTig off of a 10 HP idler at some point. Worked
fine. Recently I ran a 650 amp rated welder from a 17.5 HP total set
of two idlers. Works fine, as long as the powwer draw is within the
converter's capacity.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

--

So if I run the lathe motor it should be even better?

Richard W.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 31 Mar 2009 11:00:35 -0700, "Richard W."
wrote:

I got a 400 amp Lincoln power supply and I am pretty sure my rotary phase
converter is to small to run it. It's an Idealarc R3S-325 and I down loaded
a copy of the manual and it say it will draw 51 amps. Any one try running
one of these on a rotary phase?

My rotary phase converter is an older factory built unit. It has 3 switch
positions. Center is off. Up is "Start" and once it's running you push the
switch to down. There is no markings that I have found on it. It's is a
large unit and runs my lathe just fine. My lathe is 7 1/2 HP. The question
is really will it run my welder. I plan on using .03 solid wire most of the
time, if not all the time. I will probably never run it turned up all the
way.

Richard W.

My opinion is you will be fine.

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
My opinion is you will be fine.

Gunner

Well that settles it, God has spoken.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-03-31, Richard W. wrote:

"Ignoramus8285" wrote in message
The nice thing about welders, if they do not have power factor
correction, is that you only need the phase converter to match your
welding parameters, not the maximum size of the welder.

If your phase converter can run a 7.5 HP lathe, it can probblay make
your welder produce appx. 5.6 kW of output. At 30 volts, it translates
into almost two hundred amps of welding current, which should cover
most of your needs.

I ran a Hobart CyberTig off of a 10 HP idler at some point. Worked
fine. Recently I ran a 650 amp rated welder from a 17.5 HP total set
of two idlers. Works fine, as long as the powwer draw is within the
converter's capacity.

--

So if I run the lathe motor it should be even better?

It would be better, but it would be a violation of good safety
practices.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/