Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
stu stu is offline

Default yet another noob lathe question

So the levelling is coming along nicely. Now I would like to strip my 3 jaw
chuck for cleaning and Google wasn't much help. Is this something I should
be doing or are there hidden problems? How to I remove the cam-lock plate
from the back of the chuck?
Thanks again
Stuart

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"stu" no where just yet wrote in message
u...
So the levelling is coming along nicely. Now I would like to strip my 3
jaw chuck for cleaning and Google wasn't much help. Is this something I
should be doing or are there hidden problems? How to I remove the cam-lock
plate from the back of the chuck?
Thanks again
Stuart

If you don't HAVE to remove it, and it's running true---leave it alone.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"stu" no where just yet wrote in message
u...

"Buerste" wrote in message
news

"stu" no where just yet wrote in message
u...
So the levelling is coming along nicely. Now I would like to strip my 3
jaw chuck for cleaning and Google wasn't much help. Is this something I
should be doing or are there hidden problems? How to I remove the
cam-lock plate from the back of the chuck?
Thanks again
Stuart

If you don't HAVE to remove it, and it's running true---leave it alone.

I see your point and if the scroll looked clean I would happily leave it
alone. But it doesn't look very clean in there. If the good people in here
think I should just do a cleaning job through the jaw slots then I'll do
that. But what I don't want to happen is in 12 months to have in not
running true and be told "you should have cleaned it properly 12 months a
go"

I'm sure it depends on the design of the chuck, and possibly your ability to
disassemble and reassemble it EXACTLY as it was, but odds would lean toward
cleaning as is.

Can you flood it in a parts tank while working the screw? Perhaps submerge
it? I would try that first.

But if you do disassemble it, be sure to carefully mark everything so you
can reassemble it as precisely as possible.

If you flood and or submerge it, stand to the side the first time you spin
it up.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"stu" no where just yet wrote in message
u...

"Buerste" wrote in message
news

"stu" no where just yet wrote in message
u...
So the levelling is coming along nicely. Now I would like to strip my 3
jaw chuck for cleaning and Google wasn't much help. Is this something I
should be doing or are there hidden problems? How to I remove the
cam-lock plate from the back of the chuck?
Thanks again
Stuart

If you don't HAVE to remove it, and it's running true---leave it alone.

I see your point and if the scroll looked clean I would happily leave it
alone. But it doesn't look very clean in there. If the good people in here
think I should just do a cleaning job through the jaw slots then I'll do
that. But what I don't want to happen is in 12 months to have in not
running true and be told "you should have cleaned it properly 12 months a
go"

Go for it. It'll be good for the chuck and you'll gain knowledge.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 1 Apr 2009 10:02:36 +1000, "stu" no where just yet wrote:

"Buerste" wrote in message
news

"stu" no where just yet wrote in message
u...
So the levelling is coming along nicely. Now I would like to strip my 3
jaw chuck for cleaning and Google wasn't much help. Is this something I
should be doing or are there hidden problems? How to I remove the
cam-lock plate from the back of the chuck?
Thanks again
Stuart

If you don't HAVE to remove it, and it's running true---leave it alone.

I see your point and if the scroll looked clean I would happily leave it
alone. But it doesn't look very clean in there. If the good people in here
think I should just do a cleaning job through the jaw slots then I'll do
that. But what I don't want to happen is in 12 months to have in not running
true and be told "you should have cleaned it properly 12 months a go"

Assuming that you can take the chuck apart and re-assemble it the same
way you can't damage it, or effect its accuracy. If you can't
re-assembly it correctly then don't take it apart.

On the same subject you should not consider any chuck as accurate -
perfectly accurate that is. Certainly you can indicate a part and have
it run true but to just chuck a piece and think it is going to run
true will cause you untold problems as time goes by.

Better to treat the chuck as inaccurate and always use a slightly
oversize piece of stock and after the first cut never remove it from
the chuck until it is finished.

Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
stu stu is offline

"Bruce In Bangkok" wrote in message
On Wed, 1 Apr 2009 10:02:36 +1000, "stu" no where just yet wrote:

"Buerste" wrote in message
news

[...]

Doing that now. Its wasn't exatly spotless in there and the screws on the
back cover were loose.

On the same subject you should not consider any chuck as accurate -
perfectly accurate that is. Certainly you can indicate a part and have
it run true but to just chuck a piece and think it is going to run
true will cause you untold problems as time goes by.

Yes I know that it won't be able to repeatably centre.

Better to treat the chuck as inaccurate and always use a slightly
oversize piece of stock and after the first cut never remove it from
the chuck until it is finished.

Will do

Thanks

Stuart

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 2, 12:39*pm, "stu" no where just yet wrote:
"Bruce In Bangkok" wrote in messagenews:dj38t45ig42fghimcbfk2rq6mqe4ib8646@4ax .com...

On Wed, 1 Apr 2009 10:02:36 +1000, "stu" no where just yet wrote:

"Buerste" wrote in message
news

"stu" no where just yet wrote in message
m.au...
[...]

Hi Stu - meant to reply to your initial post, but couldn't find the
right link to send you.

it is http://kansai.anesth.or.jp/gijutu/ko...h/techindx.htm

very good - but to be honest, starting from scratch, its taken me
about 3 years before I could figure out what he was talking about!.
If your in OZ, Melbourne, msg off line for a further yack.

Andrew VK3BFA.