Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bruce In Bangkok Bruce In Bangkok is offline

Default yet another noob lathe question

On Wed, 1 Apr 2009 10:02:36 +1000, "stu" no where just yet wrote:

"Buerste" wrote in message
news

"stu" no where just yet wrote in message
u...
So the levelling is coming along nicely. Now I would like to strip my 3
jaw chuck for cleaning and Google wasn't much help. Is this something I
should be doing or are there hidden problems? How to I remove the
cam-lock plate from the back of the chuck?
Thanks again
Stuart

If you don't HAVE to remove it, and it's running true---leave it alone.

I see your point and if the scroll looked clean I would happily leave it
alone. But it doesn't look very clean in there. If the good people in here
think I should just do a cleaning job through the jaw slots then I'll do
that. But what I don't want to happen is in 12 months to have in not running
true and be told "you should have cleaned it properly 12 months a go"

Assuming that you can take the chuck apart and re-assemble it the same
way you can't damage it, or effect its accuracy. If you can't
re-assembly it correctly then don't take it apart.

On the same subject you should not consider any chuck as accurate -
perfectly accurate that is. Certainly you can indicate a part and have
it run true but to just chuck a piece and think it is going to run
true will cause you untold problems as time goes by.

Better to treat the chuck as inaccurate and always use a slightly
oversize piece of stock and after the first cut never remove it from
the chuck until it is finished.

Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)