Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Best Drill Bits

Every time I look at drillbits for metal at the local
Home Depot I'm totally confused.Which is the best,I see tin
coated,black coated etc.Recently I saw a new line of wood bits from
Milwaukee,they look good but as I said above I'm confused.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 27, 7:24*am, Calvin Rupert wrote:
Every time I look at drillbits for metal at the local
Home Depot I'm totally confused.Which is the best,I see tin
coated,black coated etc.Recently I saw a new line of wood bits from
Milwaukee,they look good but as I said above I'm confused.

I can understand your confusion here but it is also important to
include what type of material you will be drilling, as the best drill
bit for aluminum will not be the best drill bit for cast iron, etc.,
etc.

Hope this helps you.

Lewis.

*****
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

ru4linux2 wrote:
On Mar 27, 7:24 am, Calvin Rupert wrote:
Every time I look at drillbits for metal at the local
Home Depot I'm totally confused.Which is the best,I see tin
coated,black coated etc.Recently I saw a new line of wood bits from
Milwaukee,they look good but as I said above I'm confused.

I can understand your confusion here but it is also important to
include what type of material you will be drilling, as the best drill
bit for aluminum will not be the best drill bit for cast iron, etc.,
etc.

Hope this helps you.

Lewis.

*****

Also, the basic steel is as important as the coating (if any). Then
too, the process by which they are manufactured is as important as the
materials. Pretty hard to tell from the descriptions in the stores.
Best to rely on name brands and sources.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Don Stauffer" wrote in message
ru4linux2 wrote:
On Mar 27, 7:24 am, Calvin Rupert wrote:
Every time I look at drillbits for metal at the local
Home Depot I'm totally confused.Which is the best,I see tin
coated,black coated etc.Recently I saw a new line of wood bits from
Milwaukee,they look good but as I said above I'm confused.

I can understand your confusion here but it is also important to
include what type of material you will be drilling, as the best drill
bit for aluminum will not be the best drill bit for cast iron, etc.,
etc.

Hope this helps you.

Lewis.

*****

Also, the basic steel is as important as the coating (if any).

The basic steel is much more important than the coating. Coatings are
cheap -- the thin, cheap coatings of TiN they put on cheap drill bits add
maybe 3 cents to the cost. They can be helpful on top of good steel. But put
them on top of Chinese "M50 equivalent" high speed steel, and you have
frozen crap with a thin, crusty coating. Crunchy on the outside, chewy on
the inside...

Then too, the process by which they are manufactured is as important as
the materials. Pretty hard to tell from the descriptions in the stores.
Best to rely on name brands and sources.

Absolutely.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Robert Swinney" wrote in message
ED sez: "Absolutely"

Yep! From the descriptions, a HF set for $29.95 looks as good as a
Chicago-Latrobe set for $300.

Bob Swinney

Yeah. The difference is all in the labor. g

Good M2 HSS makes pretty versatile bits: useful for wood and composites, and
capable of drilling steel with good efficiency. M4 is better for drilling
steel, but very costly -- not because of the difference in material costs,
actually, but because M4 bits generally are just made better.

M50 is what you usually get in hardware stores. It's fine for wood and
composites. But it has little red hardness, and it has to be run very slowly
in steel. And its abrasion resistance isn't good enough for drilling
high-silicon aluminum, for more than a few holes.

It's ironic that we see those cheap bits often made with a TiN coating so
thin you can actually see through it -- it's translucent goldish, in some
cases, rather than a bright gold color -- because a *thick* TiN coating is
still cheap, and really would increase drill life a great deal in abrasive
materials such as particle board or Masonite.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Calvin Rupert" wrote in message
Every time I look at drillbits for metal at the local
Home Depot I'm totally confused.Which is the best,I see tin coated,black
coated etc.Recently I saw a new line of wood bits from Milwaukee,they look
good but as I said above I'm confused.

Nachi is my very favorite brand. They also make the best taps.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 27, 12:24*pm, Calvin Rupert wrote:
Every time I look at drillbits for metal at the local
Home Depot I'm totally confused.Which is the best,I see tin
coated,black coated etc.Recently I saw a new line of wood bits from
Milwaukee,they look good but as I said above I'm confused.

My advice would be to stop looking at Home Depot. Try looking at the
online catalogls of MSC, Enco, or Wholesale Tool. Those catalogs are
likely to have a little help on selection. You might also look at
Cleveland Twist Drill. Well actually Kennametal. They own Cleveland
and Hanita.

Now you ought to be thoroughly confused. But the best drill depends
on what you are drilling.

If you are about to buy a set of drills for the first time, consider
buying a set from Harbor Freight, and then buying good quality drills
to replace those that get dull.

Also look in RCM for Robert Bastow's description of how to sharpen
drills freehand on a grinder. I never quite understood his
description, but if you can find someone local to you, they can teach
you how to sharpen the larger size drills reasonably well. It is not
rocket science and worth knowing.

Dan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 27 Mar 2009 11:25:16 -0400, the infamous "Buerste"
scrawled the following:

"Calvin Rupert" wrote in message
Every time I look at drillbits for metal at the local
Home Depot I'm totally confused.Which is the best,I see tin coated,black
coated etc.Recently I saw a new line of wood bits from Milwaukee,they look
good but as I said above I'm confused.

Nachi is my very favorite brand. They also make the best taps.

Nachi? Idden dat corn chips with cheesy crap drizzled over 'em?

--
Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. Security does not exist in
nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Fri, 27 Mar 2009 11:25:16 -0400, the infamous "Buerste"
scrawled the following:

"Calvin Rupert" wrote in message
Every time I look at drillbits for metal at the local
Home Depot I'm totally confused.Which is the best,I see tin coated,black
coated etc.Recently I saw a new line of wood bits from Milwaukee,they
look
good but as I said above I'm confused.

Nachi is my very favorite brand. They also make the best taps.

Nachi? Idden dat corn chips with cheesy crap drizzled over 'em?

You get them at the Black/Mexican restaurant...Nacho Momma's

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 27, 8:24*am, Calvin Rupert wrote:
Every time I look at drillbits for metal at the local
Home Depot I'm totally confused.Which is the best,I see tin
coated,black coated etc.Recently I saw a new line of wood bits from
Milwaukee,they look good but as I said above I'm confused.

Unless you like being bent over get the hell out of home depot and
into an industrial supply that has to do better because the customers
know the difference.

even enco is a step up

google enco
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Fri, 27 Mar 2009 11:25:16 -0400, the infamous "Buerste"
scrawled the following:

(..)

Nachi is my very favorite brand. They also make the best taps.

Nachi? Idden dat corn chips with cheesy crap drizzled over 'em?

Yup! Only one is a 'nacho'.
Nachi is the plural.
Most people don't know this.

--Winston -- Enjoying a big plate of Fajiti.

--

Don't *faff*, dear.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Buerste wrote:
"Calvin Rupert" wrote in message
Every time I look at drillbits for metal at the local
Home Depot I'm totally confused.Which is the best,I see tin coated,black
coated etc.Recently I saw a new line of wood bits from Milwaukee,they look
good but as I said above I'm confused.

Nachi is my very favorite brand. They also make the best taps.

How do you rate the various offerings from MSC or Enco?
Import
Made in USA
Cleveland
Chicago Latrobe
Triumph
Nachi
Precision Drill
others?

And would you say the value compares, is Chicago Latrobe really worth
twice what Triumph is and Cleveland triple, or would you say it more
like the first time you double the price you pay you get three time
better bits but the next doubling in price only gets you a 50% better
bit and then double again and you get 15 better still?

Doug T
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Doug T" wrote in message
Buerste wrote:
[...]

Wow, somebody could write a book after months of research. It usually boils
down to "You get what you pay for" minus the sale and advertising factor.
Then you lean toward a preference not really based on facts. And, different
bits perform differently under different circumstances.

I had a bunch of samples from the "Ningbo Flying Tool Company" in China.
They were every b it as good as any I've ever used and they were dirt cheap.
The company never did get their importing act together.

Bad Drill Bits!!! If you don't have a Darex Drill Doctor, read atyour own risk of failing to understand. spaco Metalworking 7 December 21st 07 12:57 AM
Underground, quarrying, mining, air-leg, jack-leg, hand-held rock drills, button bit, drag bits,drill rod, drill tube, drill bit, core bit, core barrel, diamonde core bit, DTH hammer, taper rod, integral drill rod, taper bit, rock drilling tools wangsbin Woodturning 0 September 1st 06 07:34 AM
Drill bits Charlie S. Home Repair 9 March 16th 06 12:01 PM
Which Style Drill Bits to Buy? / Opinions on Craftsman Drill Bits? JWho Metalworking 18 November 20th 05 07:07 AM
Titanium Forstner drill bits doesn't drill Fred Woodworking 18 September 4th 05 09:45 PM