Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Robert Swinney Robert Swinney is offline

Default Best Drill Bits

ED sez: "Absolutely"

Yep! From the descriptions, a HF set for $29.95 looks as good as a Chicago-Latrobe set for $300.

Bob Swinney

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message ...

"Don Stauffer" wrote in message
ru4linux2 wrote:
On Mar 27, 7:24 am, Calvin Rupert wrote:
Every time I look at drillbits for metal at the local
Home Depot I'm totally confused.Which is the best,I see tin
coated,black coated etc.Recently I saw a new line of wood bits from
Milwaukee,they look good but as I said above I'm confused.

I can understand your confusion here but it is also important to
include what type of material you will be drilling, as the best drill
bit for aluminum will not be the best drill bit for cast iron, etc.,
etc.

Hope this helps you.

Lewis.

*****

Also, the basic steel is as important as the coating (if any).

The basic steel is much more important than the coating. Coatings are
cheap -- the thin, cheap coatings of TiN they put on cheap drill bits add
maybe 3 cents to the cost. They can be helpful on top of good steel. But put
them on top of Chinese "M50 equivalent" high speed steel, and you have
frozen crap with a thin, crusty coating. Crunchy on the outside, chewy on
the inside...

Then too, the process by which they are manufactured is as important as
the materials. Pretty hard to tell from the descriptions in the stores.
Best to rely on name brands and sources.

--
Ed Huntress