Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Screwdriver handles - what kind of plastic?

Just struck me - that stuff is really durable; I have in the past abused
them as prybars, drifts, scrapers, etcetera - and often with a hammer.
That plastic might be useful - what is it?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 20 Mar 2009 12:21:32 GMT, _
wrote:

Just struck me - that stuff is really durable; I have in the past abused
them as prybars, drifts, scrapers, etcetera - and often with a hammer.
That plastic might be useful - what is it?

Traditionally they have always been Tenite 1 or Tenite 2...Cellulose
acetate or cellulose acetate butyrate.

I believe ABS has replaced the old fashioned stinky Tenite
material..used to smell like old socks when it was heated, and was
attacked by gasoline.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Grunty Grogan" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 20 Mar 2009 12:21:32 GMT, _
wrote:

Just struck me - that stuff is really durable; I have in the past abused
them as prybars, drifts, scrapers, etcetera - and often with a hammer.
That plastic might be useful - what is it?

Traditionally they have always been Tenite 1 or Tenite 2...Cellulose
acetate or cellulose acetate butyrate.

I believe ABS has replaced the old fashioned stinky Tenite
material..used to smell like old socks when it was heated, and was
attacked by gasoline.

I cleaned a carb the other day with some gas and a tooth brush. The
bristles started coming off right away, so I switched to a parts brush. I
forgot and left he toothbrush in the gas. The next day, it was half its
size, limp, and really a fuzzy mess. I took a hemostat and lifted it out of
the gas and dropped it on the sand. It dried out in a day, and really was a
mess. The little plastic tub I used to wash the parts in was unfazed.

Steve