Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Q about Aluminum pricing

at my favorite on-line metal dealer, I can get Aluminum 6061-T6
Extruded Flat Rod .375" x 6" x 12" for $14.43
Sheet .375 x 12" x 12" for $60.31

Why the discrepancy between the cost of two 6" flat bars and one 12" sheet?

TIA
Norm
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Norm Dresner wrote:
at my favorite on-line metal dealer, I can get Aluminum 6061-T6
Extruded Flat Rod .375" x 6" x 12" for $14.43
Sheet .375 x 12" x 12" for $60.31

Why the discrepancy between the cost of two 6" flat bars and one 12" sheet?

First in first out accounting?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Norm Dresner wrote:
at my favorite on-line metal dealer, I can get Aluminum 6061-T6
Extruded Flat Rod .375" x 6" x 12" for $14.43
Sheet .375 x 12" x 12" for $60.31

Why the discrepancy between the cost of two 6" flat bars and one 12" sheet?

TIA
Norm

For a guess the extruded flat rod will be sections of a .375" x 6"
extruded flat cut to length so cut from the .375" x 6" extruded material.
The .375" x 12" x 12" will have been cut from a sheet of material
rolled down to .375" from the original Al billet and so have gone
through more rolling and annealing processes to reduce its thickness to
..375". I would expect the sheet material to have better mechanical
properties for the same alloy, at least with the grain orientation, than
the extruded material. The sheet has also to be sheared widthwise and
those pieces sheared.

This sort of thing tripped up a mate when he speced .5mm stainless steel
for a job thinking he would save money. While available it proved so
difficult to transport it was often damaged and ultimately when the
laser shop was asked they said no point as due to the extra processing
to get the thickness down anything below 1mm cost virtually the same so
no saving. Nice if they had volunteered the info at the start but in
fairness they didn't know it was decorative and the thickness wasn't
critical.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I'd guess that you are paying some ugly cutting charge for the plate
stock, the bar stock is merely cut to length.

If it helps any, I'm paying about $17 for the same square foot of 3/8"
plate 6061-T6. Local supplier, cash and carry. This place has a 12"x
120" capacity rip saw for the aluminum. 30" carbide saw blades. Right
impressive.