Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Bridgeport Quill Spring

"steamer" wrote in message
--Well I've got it back in the quill but I'll be damned if I can
figure out how to add the 1-1/2 turns of pretension. Every time I rotate
the
collar the spring goes about 1/4 turn, then snaps loose and needs to be
retensioned. Sooo what am I doing wrong?

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Do us a favor and rescue
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : a doggie or three...

This is not unusual. You may have to renew or rework the offending pin. The
inner end of the spring has to be curled fairly closely to hold good and the
outer pin tends to get pushed into the housing too far. Your spring may not
be hooked on the outer pin as this will allow the spring to slide around
when it is tightened a little. Do not try to tighten the spring until it
retracts the quill. It is intended only to keep it from falling and may not
do that if you have a heavy tool in the spindle.

Don Young

Don Young

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Don Young presented the following explanation :
"steamer" wrote in message
[...]

I thought my quill was mis-adjusted since it didn't retract. It never
bothered me enough and figured I'd get to it one day. Now I know it's
working properly and I don't have to do anything with it.

Thanks,
Wayne D.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"steamer" wrote in message
[...]

From what I have read in various groups and forums that is a very common
misconception. That is why I mentioned it. That is also probably one of the
reasons so many of the springs break, since they can reach the limit of
their travel when over-tightened.

Don Young