Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Machinery isolation pads

I remember when this NG was full of useful info apropos its title. Desiring
to be faithful to that memory, I'd like to relate this. Yesterday I brought
home an Ingersoll Rand type 30 vertical compressor (99.9% metal and lots of
it). Was considering how to bolt it down to the concrete garage floor with
some kind of isolation pads. I hadn't really thought of something I could
purchase locally so I could get the thing operational and decided to wander
around Lowes in hopes of finding the right solution. I think I came up with
a winner and it may be of use to anyone in the same circumstance. Somewhere
in the hardware isles you'll find chair leg tips, gliders, rubber feet and
the like. They have these Waxman Super Sliders that seem perfect for
mounting just about anything under, say, 1000lbs. The ones I got are 3-1/2"
in diameter and are about 5/8" thick. They have a thin felt layer that I
don't care about but otherwise they're made of some very dense foam which
only compressed slightly under the considerable weight of the compressor. I
haven't bolted it down yet but I did run the unit with these things in
place. The compressor was much quieter and you couldn't feel the vibration
in the floor at all.
YMMV
Nok

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

NokNokMan wrote:
I remember when this NG was full of useful info apropos its title.
Desiring to be faithful to that memory, I'd like to relate this.

Hockey pucks . Counterbore the bottom side for a carraige bolt and fender
washer , put a disc of steel (thickness appropriate to the weight of the
tool) on top .
--
Snag
every answer

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

NokNokMan wrote:
[...]

Rubber auto body mounts.

--
Steve Walker
(remove wallet to reply)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"NokNokMan" wrote in message
[...]

Sounds like a winner. Considering they are foam, it might not be necessary
to bolt it down.

If you don't use similar isolation if/when you bolt it down, some of not all
of the vibration will return.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-02-19, NokNokMan wrote:
I remember when this NG was full of useful info apropos its title. Desiring
to be faithful to that memory, I'd like to relate this. Yesterday I brought
home an Ingersoll Rand type 30 vertical compressor (99.9% metal and lots of
it). Was considering how to bolt it down to the concrete garage floor with
some kind of isolation pads.

The one I used with my vertical compressor was called "plush carpet".
It worked great.

[...]

Plush carpet also works great. McMaster has pages and pages of
isolation pads.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"NokNokMan" wrote in message
[...]

Hi Nok, nice idea you wrote above.
Another alternative is as follows. I have an 80 gallon 6hp 2 stage vertical
compressor. Concrete floor. I simply placed a piece of rubber (old truck
inner tube, free at your local tire store) under each foot. Then, to keep
it from walking around the shop, I drilled a small hole in the concrete
under two of the feet only. Within the holes I dropped in a phillips
screwdriver (they were to be tossed anyway). The compressor runs quietly,
doesn't vibrate, doesn't walk around and can be moved out of the way by
simply unpinning it (two screwdrivers).

Ivan Vegvary

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Works great but be sure to take a look at the foam thickness every few
months to make sure it is not compressing. Most of the closed cell foams
will eventually sag to almost zero. Better yet, measure it to see how
far it has moved.

NokNokMan wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Terry Coombs" wrote in
:

Hockey pucks . Counterbore the bottom side for a carraige bolt and
fender
washer , put a disc of steel (thickness appropriate to the weight of
the tool) on top .

I made some of these for my 5hp 60 gallon compressor. I find they are too
stiff to do much for vibration on something that light weight. Also they
allow the machine to move a little each time it starts from the sudden
torque. It desn't move when it's running though. A layer of something
more plaible in contact with the concrete may stop the walking around. I
just haven't gotten round to it yet...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

NokNokMan wrote:
[...]

One of the best isolators is cork, unlike rubber it becomes less stiff
at high loading. Similar stress-strain curve as copper. Recommended
pressure is between 7 and 20 PSI. Thickness between 1" and 6" . It does
need an inertial mass such as a concrete slab or block between the
vibrating machinery and the cork.

cheers
T.Alan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 18 Feb 2009 20:02:02 -0500, "NokNokMan"
wrote:

[...]

Excellent suggestion!!

Gunner

"Upon Roosevelt's death in 1945, H. L. Mencken predicted in his diary
that Roosevelt would be remembered as a great president, "maybe even
alongside Washington and Lincoln," opining that Roosevelt "had every
quality that morons esteem in their heroes.""

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wall board knife and old tire...

Try not to use a steel belted radial, or cut your finger off :-)

I'm lucky all the old airplane tires I have kicking around are bias play
cord AND I still have all my fingers...

--.- Dave

"NokNokMan" wrote in message
[...]

Extractor Fan Isolation - Again TheScullster UK diy 0 April 5th 06 09:27 AM
Isolation Damper Paul Home Repair 3 October 17th 04 11:24 PM
Gas Isolation Valve Arthur UK diy 3 August 8th 04 08:10 PM
Location of isolation valve for gas hob? Mathew J. Newton UK diy 2 March 4th 04 09:10 PM
Enclosure for DP isolation switch [email protected] UK diy 1 September 16th 03 04:24 PM