Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RoyJ RoyJ is offline

Default Machinery isolation pads

Works great but be sure to take a look at the foam thickness every few
months to make sure it is not compressing. Most of the closed cell foams
will eventually sag to almost zero. Better yet, measure it to see how
far it has moved.

NokNokMan wrote:
I remember when this NG was full of useful info apropos its title. Desiring
to be faithful to that memory, I'd like to relate this. Yesterday I brought
home an Ingersoll Rand type 30 vertical compressor (99.9% metal and lots of
it). Was considering how to bolt it down to the concrete garage floor with
some kind of isolation pads. I hadn't really thought of something I could
purchase locally so I could get the thing operational and decided to wander
around Lowes in hopes of finding the right solution. I think I came up with
a winner and it may be of use to anyone in the same circumstance. Somewhere
in the hardware isles you'll find chair leg tips, gliders, rubber feet and
the like. They have these Waxman Super Sliders that seem perfect for
mounting just about anything under, say, 1000lbs. The ones I got are 3-1/2"
in diameter and are about 5/8" thick. They have a thin felt layer that I
don't care about but otherwise they're made of some very dense foam which
only compressed slightly under the considerable weight of the compressor. I
haven't bolted it down yet but I did run the unit with these things in
place. The compressor was much quieter and you couldn't feel the vibration
in the floor at all.
YMMV
Nok