Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Was W this stupid?

I admit to being a Bush fan, but on a declining basis as he neared the end
of his term. So, I let him slide on a lot of stuff.

Today, Purple Lips said our country's electric grid was much the same as in
Thomas Edison's day. I guess he never read about Nikola Tesla or
alternating current.

I was in a car wash and laughed my ass off at the captioned picture. When
my wife asked me what I was laughing about, I explained it to her and a
couple of onlookers and they got a laugh, too.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"SteveB" wrote in message
I admit to being a Bush fan, but on a declining basis as he neared the end
of his term. So, I let him slide on a lot of stuff.

Today, Purple Lips said our country's electric grid was much the same as
in Thomas Edison's day. I guess he never read about Nikola Tesla or
alternating current.

I was in a car wash and laughed my ass off at the captioned picture. When
my wife asked me what I was laughing about, I explained it to her and a
couple of onlookers and they got a laugh, too.

Steve

Liberals have no use for actual facts when perpetrating an emotional
manipulation scheme. Just forget what is right an what is wrong and embrace
the horror they have planned for us.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"SteveB" wrote in message

Yes Steve, he was.

JC

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"John R. Carroll" wrote in message

"SteveB" wrote in message

Yes Steve, he was.

JC

I figgered so. But during his terms, I had several sabbaticals for medical
reasons, and my financial world was going good, so I really didn't even get
into it. Letterman used to show some stuff that really made me ask myself,
"Did I really vote for that guy"?

But then, I looked at AlGore, and figured losing a finger was better than
losing an arm.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"SteveB" wrote in message

Yes Steve, he was.

JC

I figgered so. But during his terms, I had several sabbaticals for
medical reasons, and my financial world was going good, so I really didn't
even get into it. Letterman used to show some stuff that really made me
ask myself, "Did I really vote for that guy"?

But then, I looked at AlGore, and figured losing a finger was better than
losing an arm.

Yeah, there is that.

JC

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"SteveB" wrote in message

Yes Steve, he was.

JC

I figgered so. But during his terms, I had several sabbaticals for
medical reasons, and my financial world was going good, so I really didn't
even get into it. Letterman used to show some stuff that really made me
ask myself, "Did I really vote for that guy"?

But then, I looked at AlGore, and figured losing a finger was better than
losing an arm.

Yeah, there is that.

JC

I think the decision between the two "wings" more or less boils down to
whether you want to go through the wood chipper head first or feet
first...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Buerste" wrote in message

"SteveB" wrote in message
I admit to being a Bush fan, but on a declining basis as he neared the end
of his term. So, I let him slide on a lot of stuff.

Today, Purple Lips said our country's electric grid was much the same as
in Thomas Edison's day. I guess he never read about Nikola Tesla or
alternating current.

I was in a car wash and laughed my ass off at the captioned picture.
When my wife asked me what I was laughing about, I explained it to her
and a couple of onlookers and they got a laugh, too.

Steve

Liberals have no use for actual facts when perpetrating an emotional
manipulation scheme. Just forget what is right an what is wrong and
embrace the horror they have planned for us.

Now you're trolling. You're not really that dumb. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

"Buerste" wrote in message

"SteveB" wrote in message
I admit to being a Bush fan, but on a declining basis as he neared the
end of his term. So, I let him slide on a lot of stuff.

Today, Purple Lips said our country's electric grid was much the same as
in Thomas Edison's day. I guess he never read about Nikola Tesla or
alternating current.

I was in a car wash and laughed my ass off at the captioned picture.
When my wife asked me what I was laughing about, I explained it to her
and a couple of onlookers and they got a laugh, too.

Steve

Liberals have no use for actual facts when perpetrating an emotional
manipulation scheme. Just forget what is right an what is wrong and
embrace the horror they have planned for us.

Now you're trolling. You're not really that dumb. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress

My plan is to adapt to the politics de jour. Just today I met with my
entire engineering staff, all five of us. Well, the other tom isn't an
engineer but RM. The topic was that since we are among the best in our
industry, we should see how to best get some of the trillion bucks they are
throwing away. What afternoon project could we do that would qualify for a
few million? We already have a few alternate energy ideas that could be the
ticket. We all agree not to let politics get in the way of a jackpot. So,
I think it's the fool that doesn't game the system that is being designed to
be gamed. I'll register as a Democrat, contribute to the right lawmakers
(wink-wink), whatever it takes!

We also have a new towed sonar array that our favorite retired aerospace
engineer has been tinkering with for years while he was building underwater
missile systems for the DOD(Shhhh). And, an idea for resealing joints in
runways that reduces FOB problems. To bad defense spending will undoubtedly
plummet.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 17 Feb 2009 23:23:40 -0500, the infamous "Buerste"
scrawled the following:

"Buerste" wrote in message

"SteveB" wrote in message
[...]

Indeed. How about creating a new, stiff-bristled body brush? "They"
can fit 'em to street sweepers and use 'em to sweep the dead bodies
off the street after "they" destroy the U.S. (and then the world)
economy with bailouts, resulting in much of the population dying.
[Won't Paul Ehrlich and the Malthusians (sounds like a really bad
band, huh?) be happy when that day dawns?]

--
I'm still waiting for another sublime, transcendent flash of adequacy.
--Winnie of RCM
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Buerste" wrote in message

"SteveB" wrote in message
[...]

We already make brushes to remove flesh from cadavers to harvest bone
grafts. We COULD make a set-up that would sweep up the dead bodies AND
strip the flesh from them. Then cycle the flesh into processing to make
some kind of nutritious food cracker or paste. Mmmmm! The bones could be
used for building materials. HEY...the bodies don't have to be dead, do
they?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 17, 10:23*pm, "Buerste" wrote:
"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

"Buerste" wrote in message
.. .

"SteveB" wrote in message
[...]

plummet.- Hide quoted text -

You mean "defense welfare"?

Long overdue.

TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Buerste" wrote in message

"SteveB" wrote in message
I admit to being a Bush fan, but on a declining basis as he neared the

end
of his term. So, I let him slide on a lot of stuff.

Today, Purple Lips said our country's electric grid was much the same as
in Thomas Edison's day. I guess he never read about Nikola Tesla or
alternating current.

I was in a car wash and laughed my ass off at the captioned picture.

When
my wife asked me what I was laughing about, I explained it to her and a
couple of onlookers and they got a laugh, too.

Steve

Liberals have no use for actual facts when perpetrating an emotional
manipulation scheme. Just forget what is right an what is wrong and

embrace
the horror they have planned for us.

Right wingers as a group, are the most ill informed, poorly educated,
biased, over emotional, mean, bigoted, and selfish people I have ever met.
Since I grew up in a republican family and lived in Orange County, Ca., I
have known a whole lot of them and have nothing but contempt for them. So I
derive a great deal of fun hearing them talk about all the things that are
wrong with liberals. It's quite the irony too when so called Christians
constantly criticize others when they are guilty of even worse sins than
those they criticize (people who live in glass houses, for you Christians).
To hear a right winger accuse liberals of having no use for the facts is
absolutely hilarious. If anyone has no time for the facts it's the right
wing. Which I will remind them once again of a very important fact. You guys
are the losers, so shut up. Your side had its chance and look where you
people got us. As usual, a Democrat has to come in and clean up the mess
republicans made of the country.

Hawke

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 18, 1:57*am, "Hawke" wrote:
"Buerste" wrote in message

"SteveB" wrote in message
[...]

Hawke- Hide quoted text -

Hawke does have a good point.

For those who disagree, I suggest the Republicans repaid the trillion
deficit that they caused before pointing the finger.

TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Buerste" wrote in message

"SteveB" wrote in message
I admit to being a Bush fan, but on a declining basis as he neared the end
of his term. So, I let him slide on a lot of stuff.

Today, Purple Lips said our country's electric grid was much the same as
in Thomas Edison's day. I guess he never read about Nikola Tesla or
alternating current.

I was in a car wash and laughed my ass off at the captioned picture.
When my wife asked me what I was laughing about, I explained it to her
and a couple of onlookers and they got a laugh, too.

Steve

Liberals have no use for actual facts when perpetrating an emotional
manipulation scheme. Just forget what is right an what is wrong and
embrace the horror they have planned for us.

Turns out it's not Obama who had the facts wrong, Tesla actually worked for
Edison for a short time and alternating current was developed while Edison
was still active in the electrical business.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 18 Feb 2009 21:15:40 -0500, "ATP*" wrote:
"Buerste" wrote
"SteveB" wrote

I admit to being a Bush fan, but on a declining basis as he neared the end
of his term. So, I let him slide on a lot of stuff.

Today, Purple Lips said our country's electric grid was much the same as
in Thomas Edison's day. I guess he never read about Nikola Tesla or
alternating current.

I was in a car wash and laughed my ass off at the captioned picture.
When my wife asked me what I was laughing about, I explained it to her
and a couple of onlookers and they got a laugh, too.

Liberals have no use for actual facts when perpetrating an emotional
manipulation scheme. Just forget what is right an what is wrong and
embrace the horror they have planned for us.

Turns out it's not Obama who had the facts wrong, Tesla actually worked for
Edison for a short time and alternating current was developed while Edison
was still active in the electrical business.

Short form: Edison thought Tesla was a crackpot and fired him - and
when Tesla later developed practrical AC power it threatened the
Patents that Edison held and Monopoly positions he had developed in DC
equipment and services.

Edison declared war and did his best to tear down Westinghouse and
Tesla in the media and proclaim his DC as safer. Well, you can see
where that went...

Tesla was probably a bit crazy, but it was a good crazy.

Edison wasn't an inventor as much as a Pointy Haired Boss -
Developing the lightbulb they didn't follow a systematic method of
coming up with a good filament, Edison just had all his lab assistants
throw every material they could come up with at it, and develop the
solution by brute force elimination. And the first few "sucessful"
filaments really weren't all that good, like carbonized bamboo and
carbonized cotton thread. Tungsten came much later.

-- Bruce --

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bruce L. Bergman" wrote in message
[...]

Tesla quit after he believed Edison cheated him out of a promised bonus. But
my point is that Tesla, although younger than Edison, was a contemporary,
and most of the elements of the modern distribution system were in fairly
wide use during Edison's lifetime, even before he more or less left the
business and got into mining, etc.. So to say that Obama is stupid and must
never have read about AC or Tesla is not an informed statement.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"ATP*" wrote in message

[...]

So, then, just where IS the power grid in the condition it was during
Edison's day? I say Obama is stupid just from listening to what he says on
a lot of things.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 18 Feb 2009 18:51:18 -0800, Bruce L. Bergman
wrote:

Edison wasn't an inventor as much as a Pointy Haired Boss -
Developing the lightbulb they didn't follow a systematic method of
coming up with a good filament, Edison just had all his lab assistants
throw every material they could come up with at it, and develop the
solution by brute force elimination. And the first few "sucessful"
filaments really weren't all that good, like carbonized bamboo and
carbonized cotton thread. Tungsten came much later.

-- Bruce --

Developed by Joseph Swan thirty years before Edison's work. He wasn't an
inventor, he was a thief.

Mark Rand
RTFM
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

news
wrote:

Edison wasn't an inventor as much as a Pointy Haired Boss -
Developing the lightbulb they didn't follow a systematic method of
coming up with a good filament, Edison just had all his lab assistants
throw every material they could come up with at it, and develop the
solution by brute force elimination. And the first few "sucessful"
filaments really weren't all that good, like carbonized bamboo and
carbonized cotton thread. Tungsten came much later.

-- Bruce --

Developed by Joseph Swan thirty years before Edison's work. He wasn't an
inventor, he was a thief.

Mark Rand
RTFM

Careful, Mark. Don't you know Barack Obama invented the light bulb?

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"SteveB" wrote in message
I admit to being a Bush fan, but on a declining basis as he neared the end
of his term. So, I let him slide on a lot of stuff.

Today, Purple Lips said our country's electric grid was much the same as
in Thomas Edison's day. I guess he never read about Nikola Tesla or
alternating current.

"Obama vowed to change what he called "a grid of lines and wires that dates
back to Thomas Edison - a grid that can't support the demands of clean
energy.""

http://www.grandforksherald.com/ap/i...w&id=D96DKQR82

The three-phase grid that was being put in place at the end of Edison's life
has not changed that much- it certainly has changed a lot since Edison's
first power plant on Pearl Street and DC distribution system. In the early
days, Edison clung to his belief in DC and even electrocuted an elephant
with a Westinghouse AC generator to demonstrate the dangers of the
"electrocutioner's current".

http://www.srobbin.com/2006/10/26/th...g-an-elephant/

So I guess it hinges in part on what you consider Thomas Edison's day. Also
consider that this is part of a speech and referencing Samuel Insull's day
or Nikola Tesla's day wouldn't work too well.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"ATP*" writes:

So I guess it hinges in part on what you consider Thomas Edison's day. Also
consider that this is part of a speech and referencing Samuel Insull's day
or Nikola Tesla's day wouldn't work too well.

I'd define "Edison's day" as anything that happensed while he was
alive. Edison died in 1931.

So - was the modern day power grid developed before 1931?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Maxwell Lol" wrote in message
"ATP*" writes:

So I guess it hinges in part on what you consider Thomas Edison's day.
Also
consider that this is part of a speech and referencing Samuel Insull's
day
or Nikola Tesla's day wouldn't work too well.

I'd define "Edison's day" as anything that happensed while he was
alive. Edison died in 1931.

So - was the modern day power grid developed before 1931?

Most of it. The Germans were quite a bit ahead of us, the US electrical
system grew haphazardly prior to consolidation. Certainly AC and polyphase
power was part of Edison's day, not after his day, although he opposed it
for quite a while. One major element of modern local distribution was
developed by Edison, the three wire 110/220 volt system, although Edison's
was DC. "Networks of Power" by Thomas Hughes is a good history of the
technical and practical development of the power grid.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 18 Feb 2009 17:24:41 -0500, "ATP*" wrote:

One major element of modern local distribution was
developed by Edison, the three wire 110/220 volt system, although Edison's
was DC. "Networks of Power" by Thomas Hughes is a good history of the
technical and practical development of the power grid.

That abortion in itself is one reason why your entire system needs replacing
:-)

I believe that there is a consensus that the US grid is less resilient than it
ought to be, but that wasn't what he was talking about.

Mark Rand
RTFM

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

SteveB wrote:
I admit to being a Bush fan, but on a declining basis as he neared the end
of his term. So, I let him slide on a lot of stuff.

Today, Purple Lips said our country's electric grid was much the same as in
Thomas Edison's day. I guess he never read about Nikola Tesla or
alternating current.

They are all ignorant. Obama was asked what
his position was on cleaning up the Hanford
Project and he said he didn't know what it was.