Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Radio Control Varmint Control

Living out of city limits comes with varmints (skunk, raccoon, possum,
coyote, etc.). Since I've been into R/C models for many years, I've been
thinking about an R/C toy that could be useful for varmint control. The
general idea is a model vehicle, tank or 4X4 truck type model, and add some
kind of gun (air gun?) that would be as near lethal (to varmints) as legally
possible. The gun wouldn't need to be lethal as long as it could deter the
varmints return. The gun on the vehicle would be aimed with the aid of a
wireless on board camera.

Ideas on the vehicle or aiming device are good but I'm especially looking
for ideas on the gun (or other method to chase away varmints). I'm figuring
on using my 6 channel radio, 1 channel for forward & reverse + speed, a
channel for steering, two channels for gun pointing, and 2 channels for
firing (safety + trigger). So what about a paintball gun, perhaps with
solid plastic balls? Or maybe a CO2 BB pistol? Pepper Spray? Other? (no
flame throwers in case I have to send the vehicle under the house after a
varmint :-) I shot our pet ducks with an airsoft gun before and it didn't
seem to bother them, I don't think they felt it through their feathers, I
doubt an airsoft gun would drive a possum away either.

RogerN