Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default The ultimate lawnmower

Hi folks,

Just thought you might like to see some pictures of a particularly cool
lawnmower. A neighbour kindly gave me this machine because he had seven
of them...

1947 Dennis Bros. "Z Type" lawnmower:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/1384939...57613449106181

It dates from the days when British engineering truly was great. Weighs
almost 700 lbs. Needs a new carburettor and a repaint, but the
compression is good so I'm hoping to have it working for the mowing season.

I'm looking forward to it. Modern mowers can't touch this monster :-).

Enjoy!

Chris

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

What exactly does it do?

On 2009-02-07, Christopher Tidy wrote:
Hi folks,

Just thought you might like to see some pictures of a particularly cool
lawnmower. A neighbour kindly gave me this machine because he had seven
of them...

1947 Dennis Bros. "Z Type" lawnmower:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/1384939...57613449106181

It dates from the days when British engineering truly was great. Weighs
almost 700 lbs. Needs a new carburettor and a repaint, but the
compression is good so I'm hoping to have it working for the mowing season.

I'm looking forward to it. Modern mowers can't touch this monster :-).

Enjoy!

Chris

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus24392 fired this volley
in :

What exactly does it do?

Iggy, that conformation will only be a flail or a reel mower. Given the
drive ratios for the traction drive vs. the cutter drive, it appears to
be a reel mower.

The OP was wrong. There are several good gas powered reel mowers
available today. They use them to mow golf greens.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:
Ignoramus24392 fired this volley
in :

What exactly does it do?

Iggy, that conformation will only be a flail or a reel mower. Given the
drive ratios for the traction drive vs. the cutter drive, it appears to
be a reel mower.

The OP was wrong. There are several good gas powered reel mowers
available today. They use them to mow golf greens.

I've seen most of them. At least, most which are available in England.
They're mostly the descendants of this machine. They're good. Very good
compared to everything else in production today (and for the record,
they're not the mowers I was talking about in my original post). But not
quite great, in the way that this mower is an example of the finest and
most durable craftsmanship. The manufacturers compromise more with the
latest machines, even the high end ones, and they aren't built with the
same classic style. If you don't believe me, do you think they'll still
be around in 62 years?

Best wishes,

Chris

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Christopher Tidy fired this volley in
:

I've seen most of them. At least, most which are available in

England.
They're mostly the descendants of this machine. They're good. Very

good
compared to everything else in production today (and for the record,
they're not the mowers I was talking about in my original post). But

not
quite great, in the way that this mower is an example of the finest

and
most durable craftsmanship. The manufacturers compromise more with

the
latest machines, even the high end ones, and they aren't built with

the
same classic style. If you don't believe me, do you think they'll

still
be around in 62 years?

Chris, there are _necessary_ tradeoffs for specific applications. You
can't mow a golf green with a 700-lb behemoth using a crimping roller
for the traction drive. It would carve the green to ribbons!

Yes, I agree. Some old technology was better built, if only because
they didn't know or didn't have the materials to build lighter,
smaller, tighter. But metallurgy is MUCH better today than when that
was built. When's the last time you saw a car that needed a valve job
every 40K miles?

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Robert Swinney wrote:
Nice pix, Chris. Nice neighbour to just give it to you! British engineering IS great. Hats off to
GB for giving us the steam engine and Rolls razor.

This machine certainly dates from that era. Those two big forged clutch
levers operate cone clutches. You can see them under the cover next to
the gearbox and 600 cc engine. They feel like something off a steam
engine. Each of the clutches must weigh a good 10 pounds. You've really
got to see this machine to appreciate it. If you're ever in England, let
me know... :-).

The neighbour said I was doing him a favour as he had so many. Once it's
running, I'm going to invite him over to see it in action.

Best wishes,

Chris

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:

Chris, there are _necessary_ tradeoffs for specific applications. You
can't mow a golf green with a 700-lb behemoth using a crimping roller
for the traction drive. It would carve the green to ribbons!

Are golf greens that much different to cricket pitches? I've seen this
exact type of mower in use on cricket pitches.

Yes, I agree. Some old technology was better built, if only because
they didn't know or didn't have the materials to build lighter,
smaller, tighter. But metallurgy is MUCH better today than when that
was built. When's the last time you saw a car that needed a valve job
every 40K miles?

Sure, technology improves. Hardened valve seats are great. It's just a
shame we don't seem to be able to have all the good stuff at the same time!

Best wishes,

Chris

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Christopher Tidy fired this volley in
:

Are golf greens that much different to cricket pitches?

The entire surface (if well done) is hard-packed sand with a scant 1/8"
to 3/16" of grass thickness above. That "ravioli maker" on the back of
the Dennis would indent the base further than the height of the grass,
and make putting "interesting" to say the least.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 07 Feb 2009 17:56:13 -0600, the infamous Ignoramus24392
scrawled the following:

What exactly does it do?

Silly wabbit. It appears to be a self-powered, self-bagging reel type
mower on steroids. Don't you know?

Hi folks,

--
Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what
to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Christopher Tidy" wrote in message
Hi folks,

Just thought you might like to see some pictures of a particularly cool
lawnmower. A neighbour kindly gave me this machine because he had seven of
them...

1947 Dennis Bros. "Z Type" lawnmower:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/1384939...57613449106181

It dates from the days when British engineering truly was great. Weighs
almost 700 lbs. Needs a new carburettor and a repaint, but the compression
is good so I'm hoping to have it working for the mowing season.

I'm looking forward to it. Modern mowers can't touch this monster :-).

Enjoy!

Chris

http://www.lockemower.com/Products/WalkBehindMower.aspx

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Christopher Tidy writes:

It dates from the days when British engineering truly was great. Weighs
almost 700 lbs. Needs a new carburettor and a repaint, but the
compression is good so I'm hoping to have it working for the mowing season.

It takes a VERY brave man to use the terms "British engineering" "great"
and "carburetor" in the same paragraph.

I still recall the SU's.....

--
A host is a host from coast to
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

When you said 'ultimate mower', I thought of this gem:
http://www.toro.com/grounds/docs/Bro...5910_Specs.pdf
99 hp Cummins diesel, mows an entire 18 hole golf course rough in one 8
hour shift.

But here is the current replacement for Christopher's unit:
http://www.toro.com/golf/docs/ceg/gr_1600.pdf
Comes in at svelte 230 pounds.

Christopher Tidy wrote:
Hi folks,

Just thought you might like to see some pictures of a particularly cool
lawnmower. A neighbour kindly gave me this machine because he had seven
of them...

1947 Dennis Bros. "Z Type" lawnmower:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/1384939...57613449106181

It dates from the days when British engineering truly was great. Weighs
almost 700 lbs. Needs a new carburettor and a repaint, but the
compression is good so I'm hoping to have it working for the mowing season.

I'm looking forward to it. Modern mowers can't touch this monster :-).

Enjoy!

Chris

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 07 Feb 2009 18:03:04 -0600, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Ignoramus24392 fired this volley
in :

What exactly does it do?

Iggy, that conformation will only be a flail or a reel mower. Given the
drive ratios for the traction drive vs. the cutter drive, it appears to
be a reel mower.

The OP was wrong. There are several good gas powered reel mowers
available today. They use them to mow golf greens.

LLoyd

Like senior son's electric mower in the other London, it appears to
have front discharge. The only way to mow close to an object is to mow
alongside it, and heaven help you in the corners.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Gerald Miller" wrote in message
On Sat, 07 Feb 2009 18:03:04 -0600, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Ignoramus24392 fired this volley
in :

What exactly does it do?

Iggy, that conformation will only be a flail or a reel mower. Given the
drive ratios for the traction drive vs. the cutter drive, it appears to
be a reel mower.

The OP was wrong. There are several good gas powered reel mowers
available today. They use them to mow golf greens.

LLoyd

Like senior son's electric mower in the other London, it appears to
have front discharge. The only way to mow close to an object is to mow
alongside it, and heaven help you in the corners.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

The ultimate mower was the one Dennis (the neighbor from hell) Quaid had in
the Richard Pryor movie "Moving"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 8, 1:45*pm, David Lesher wrote:

It takes a VERY brave man to use the terms "British engineering" "great"
and "carburetor" in the same paragraph.

I still recall the SU's.....

And remember the Titanic, that was a triumph of British engineering
too - old British bikes and cars are only owned by enthusiasts because
of the constant maintenance required - and you do have a set of
Whitworth spanners, dont you? - and, being English, there will be some
absolutely horrible way of fitting a part that is not designed to be
removed, ever....even using the specified special tool....

Still, "Charisma" justifies a multitude of bad engineering.......

Andrew VK3BFA.

(who occasionally has to fix "things", mainly LUCAS, on his elderly
friends Mk2 Jaguar......)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 7 Feb 2009 18:36:15 -0600, "Robert Swinney"
wrote:

Nice pix, Chris. Nice neighbour to just give it to you! British engineering IS great. Hats off to
GB for giving us the steam engine and Rolls razor.

And Lucas Electrics.....

chortle....

Bob Swinney
"Christopher Tidy" wrote in message
Hi folks,

Just thought you might like to see some pictures of a particularly cool
lawnmower. A neighbour kindly gave me this machine because he had seven
of them...

1947 Dennis Bros. "Z Type" lawnmower:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/1384939...57613449106181

It dates from the days when British engineering truly was great. Weighs
almost 700 lbs. Needs a new carburettor and a repaint, but the
compression is good so I'm hoping to have it working for the mowing season.

I'm looking forward to it. Modern mowers can't touch this monster :-).

Enjoy!

Chris

"Not so old as to need virgins to excite him,
nor old enough to have the patience to teach one."
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

http://www.mclanemower.com/reelmowers.asp
"Not so old as to need virgins to excite him,
nor old enough to have the patience to teach one."
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

David Lesher wrote:
Christopher Tidy writes:

It dates from the days when British engineering truly was great. Weighs
almost 700 lbs. Needs a new carburettor and a repaint, but the
compression is good so I'm hoping to have it working for the mowing
season.

It takes a VERY brave man to use the terms "British engineering" "great"
and "carburetor" in the same paragraph.

I still recall the SU's.....

To be fair, the Amal concentric carburettor wasn't great. It was probably
the worst part of a very good mower.

Funnily enough, I've seen a Dennis mower with an SU carburettor fitted in
place of the Amal.

Chris

hey, let's be fair to the SU - they work really well until the jet wears
out, then you just replace two parts - they never plug up, and the variable
venturi keeps the mixture pretty close for a carburetted car.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Christopher Tidy fired this volley in
:

I always assumed a golf green was just a well-kept lawn. Is
the idea of the sand to improve drainage?

Hardness, so the ball rolls as if on a billiards table.

Then, then only "issues" a putter has are break (l/r slopes),
longitudinal slope (uphill-downhill), and the very grain of the grass,
which lays flat in one direction on a well-mowed green, thus
inhibiting roll in one direction, and allowing it in the other, like a
bunch of miniature pawls against a sprocket (the ball). And of
course, moisture, wind, stupid noises, ball marks from other players,
footprints, etc, etc.... G

LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-02-08, Calif Bill wrote:

The ultimate mower was the one Dennis (the neighbor from hell) Quaid had in
the Richard Pryor movie "Moving"

The ultimate one is the lawnmower showin in the "Rehabilitation"
program in movie Idiocracy. The movie is hilarious and is highly
recommended. Available from your nearby torrent site.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Christopher Tidy" wrote in message
andy wrote:

Pretty Cool! I wouldn't want to put it in the trunk of the car to go
mow (insert other person that you cut the lawn for) lawn.

I just found some pictures of early Locke mowers online. Interesting
machines.

One of the big advantages of the Dennis design is that the chassis is mild
steel rather than cast iron. Many of the early mowers were cast iron, and
so got cracked when they were dropped or suffered impacts.

Chris

I had a Locke triple. Nice machine but your lawn has to be very evenly
graded. Currently using a 48" Scag with a 22 HP Tecumseh V-Twin.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

David Lesher wrote:
Christopher Tidy writes:

It dates from the days when British engineering truly was great. Weighs
almost 700 lbs. Needs a new carburettor and a repaint, but the
compression is good so I'm hoping to have it working for the mowing
season.

It takes a VERY brave man to use the terms "British engineering" "great"
and "carburetor" in the same paragraph.

I still recall the SU's.....

To be fair, the Amal concentric carburettor wasn't great. It was probably
the worst part of a very good mower.

Funnily enough, I've seen a Dennis mower with an SU carburettor fitted in
place of the Amal.

Chris

hey, let's be fair to the SU - they work really well until the jet wears
out, then you just replace two parts - they never plug up, and the
variable venturi keeps the mixture pretty close for a carburetted car.

SU stood for Standard Urination. They almost always leaked.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

" I still recall the SU's.....

To be fair, the Amal concentric carburettor wasn't great. It was
probably the worst part of a very good mower.

Funnily enough, I've seen a Dennis mower with an SU carburettor fitted
in place of the Amal.

Chris

hey, let's be fair to the SU - they work really well until the jet wears
out, then you just replace two parts - they never plug up, and the
variable venturi keeps the mixture pretty close for a carburetted car.

SU stood for Standard Urination. They almost always leaked.

maybe YOUR SU carbs leaked, mine did not, at least not if I replaced the
required gaskets once per decade. my +4 was probably as abusive an
installation as you will see - they worked well.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:
Christopher Tidy fired this volley in
:

I always assumed a golf green was just a well-kept lawn. Is
the idea of the sand to improve drainage?

Hardness, so the ball rolls as if on a billiards table.

Then, then only "issues" a putter has are break (l/r slopes),
longitudinal slope (uphill-downhill), and the very grain of the grass,
which lays flat in one direction on a well-mowed green, thus
inhibiting roll in one direction, and allowing it in the other, like a
bunch of miniature pawls against a sprocket (the ball). And of
course, moisture, wind, stupid noises, ball marks from other players,
footprints, etc, etc.... G

Thanks, Lloyd. That's interesting. I didn't know the science of grass
was so sophisticated.

Chris

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

andy wrote:

Pretty Cool! I wouldn't want to put it in the trunk of the car to go
mow (insert other person that you cut the lawn for) lawn.

I just found some pictures of early Locke mowers online. Interesting
machines.

One of the big advantages of the Dennis design is that the chassis is mild
steel rather than cast iron. Many of the early mowers were cast iron, and
so got cracked when they were dropped or suffered impacts.

Chris

I had a Locke triple. Nice machine but your lawn has to be very evenly
graded. Currently using a 48" Scag with a 22 HP Tecumseh V-Twin.

How did a mower come to be called Scag? I was sure I'd heard that word
before, so I looked it up:
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=scag

Now you've put an image in my head of a guy riding a lawnmower and
singing "One Toke Over the Line" :-).

Chris

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bill Noble" wrote in message

" I still recall the SU's.....

To be fair, the Amal concentric carburettor wasn't great. It was
probably the worst part of a very good mower.

Funnily enough, I've seen a Dennis mower with an SU carburettor fitted
in place of the Amal.

Chris

hey, let's be fair to the SU - they work really well until the jet wears
out, then you just replace two parts - they never plug up, and the
variable venturi keeps the mixture pretty close for a carburetted car.

SU stood for Standard Urination. They almost always leaked.

maybe YOUR SU carbs leaked, mine did not, at least not if I replaced the
required gaskets once per decade. my +4 was probably as abusive an
installation as you will see - they worked well.

My buddy raced a TR-3 and TR-4 and every other SU carbed racecar had leak
problems. Since I raced a Vette did not have the SU problems. SCCA racing.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Calif Bill wrote:
"Bill Noble" wrote in message

[...]

Possibly running too high a fuel pressure, IIRC the SU requires about
2-3 psi and other carbs such as Weber side draughts require 4-5 psi and
can cause issues with float chamber flooding if the wrong pump pressure
is used on the SU. The SUs I have used never leaked although I did
change them for Dellorto side draughts as they seemed to perform better
and stay in tune.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 07 Feb 2009 20:23:46 +0000, Christopher Tidy
wrote:

Hi folks,

Just thought you might like to see some pictures of a particularly cool
lawnmower. A neighbour kindly gave me this machine because he had seven
of them...

1947 Dennis Bros. "Z Type" lawnmower:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/1384939...57613449106181

It dates from the days when British engineering truly was great. Weighs
almost 700 lbs. Needs a new carburettor and a repaint, but the
compression is good so I'm hoping to have it working for the mowing season.

I'm looking forward to it. Modern mowers can't touch this monster :-).

Enjoy!

Chris

what you'll find over time is that the vibrations passing through the
large roller compact the soil and stuff up the grass.

I've used two of them over the years. (they're made by Rover and
Scott-Bonnar in Australia) After the last work over with the pitch
fork to undo the compression and aerate the soil I swapped to a Victa
and havent needed to aerate again.

ymmv
Stealth Pilot
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

If you don't believe me, do you think they'll still
be around in 62 years?

It's not like it's been mowing grass for 62 years. It's been sitting
in a barn for most of it's life.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

andy wrote:

[...]

I was thinking more of the skanked out whore meaning:-)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Pirateer guy wrote:
If you don't believe me, do you think they'll still

be around in 62 years?

It's not like it's been mowing grass for 62 years. It's been sitting
in a barn for most of it's life.

Apparently it was mowing grass at a cricket club into the 1990s. That's
a lot of work in 50 years.

Chris

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

On the other hand, if you don't roll your grass at all, it gets uneven.

Chris

The Ultimate Duck? J T Woodworking 3 October 25th 07 11:46 PM
747 Lawnmower ?..............Yes, this is real, a flying Lawnmower [email protected] Home Repair 8 July 14th 06 06:22 PM
Ultimate DIY Rod Hewitt UK diy 11 February 21st 05 08:14 PM
The ultimate e-Bay toy RB Woodworking 11 February 19th 04 12:46 AM
THE ULTIMATE CHAINSAW? Jack-of-all-trades - JOAT Woodworking 4 September 27th 03 03:07 AM