Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default 1 Piece Die Holder for Lathe?

On Fri, 6 Feb 2009 12:42:32 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

I just received a die holder to use on my mini-lathe tailstock. I was
surprised to find it was only 1 piece - sort of a "t" outline, with a
1" recess for the die at the big end and a hollow shaft at the other.
I was expecting something with 2 pieces that slid as the die cut the
threads. Am I missing a piece? Should I make an "arbour" to go into
the tailstock that the holder can slide on? Is this a die holder for
something other than a lathe tailstock?

Thanks,
Chris

------------
No need, just don't lock the tail stock down. Also until you get
some experience using it, don't use power, rotate the chuck by
hand.

You can make your own. This used to be a common shop project.

Typically these locate on a c. 1/2 inch rod/arbor in the tail
stock [either straight in a chuck or w/ a morris taper to fit the
tail stock], and are free to rotate. Frequently the holders are
double ended with one end to fit the 1 inch diameter threading
dies and the other sized to fit either 13/16 or 1_1/2 dies
depending on the size/type of work expected.

To use this type of die holder the operator pulls the holder into
part contact along the rod, and keeps the holder from rotating by
hand pressure allowing threading to a shoulder under power, i.e.
they turn loose when the shoulder is contacted, the die and
holder then rotates and stops cutting.

Let the group know how you make out and any hints or tips you may
care to share.

Unka' George [George McDuffee]
He that will not apply new remedies,
must expect new evils: