Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
charlie b

Default The Lathe Tool Holder That Got Out of Hand

Posted earlier about the lathe tool holder I'm making. As usual,
the "quick and dirty" project hasn't remained quick and it's
getting prettier as things progress.

For you're edification - and comic relief, I give you Das Gouge
Case/ Holder / Stand - so far.
(bottom of the page)
http://home.comcast.net/~charliebcz/...Turning11.html

charlie b

the 9 year old from two doors down wanted to "make something
on the thing that spins things around". Mounted a round, got out
a spindle gouge and we had a go. I explained what the tool did and
how to do it, showed her one and then she got to try. "Turn the
lathe on, grab the gouge like this, this hand holds it down on the
tool rest, this one starts down low, bring the tool to the wood,
get the bevel rubbing and raise your right hand 'til the thing
just starts to cut wood.

With my hands on her hands we rolled a bead and swung a cove.
Then, with me hovering behind her, hand on the power switch,
she turned some more beads and coves 'til she'd done the whole
blank. "I need another piece of wood, this one's full! What do
those other things do?"

Fun this woodworking thing.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Tom Nie

Charlie,
Love your "add-on" story. Warms my heart - thanks for sharing.

TomNie