Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Honest junior high school students

I received a call from our local Junior High, where my second grader's
class conducted a concert yesterday. (apparently, they use Junior High
facilities for this)

Apparently, one of their junior high students found a wallet today
that I lost there yesterday, so I received a call from them. I will be
picking it up.

Assuming that most of the money is still in the wallet, I want to
leave that student a thank you note with $20 included.

Would that be inappropriate in any way.

Thanks

PS I found one wallet and one cell phone at various points, and of
course tracked and returned them to owners. But I have money, and I am
older, unlike junior high students, so their honesty is much more
impressive.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus28897 wrote:
I received a call from our local Junior High, where my second grader's
class conducted a concert yesterday. (apparently, they use Junior High
facilities for this)

Apparently, one of their junior high students found a wallet today
that I lost there yesterday, so I received a call from them. I will be
picking it up.

Assuming that most of the money is still in the wallet, I want to
leave that student a thank you note with $20 included.

Would that be inappropriate in any way.

Appropriate in all ways.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Stewart wrote:
Ignoramus28897 wrote:

(...)

Assuming that most of the money is still in the wallet, I want to
leave that student a thank you note with $20 included.
Would that be inappropriate in any way.

Appropriate in all ways.

Seconded. I got one of those calls (and my wallet returned with all
contents) about 25 years ago. It fell out as I was changing a tire.

To this day, I regret not rewarding the honest people who called me.
(I figured I couldn't afford to reward them beyond saying 'thank you'.)

Please consider the feelings of the honest student and keep the
reward private, a 'thank you' between you, the student and
parents. That kid would get razzed mercilessly if it became generally
known that they had a chance to behave like a corporate senior manager
and passed it up.

--Winston

--

I'm still waiting for another sublime, transcendent flash of adequacy.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Hey Lucky........errrr....Iggy,

Good fortune smiles on you. Did you get that chain-letter promising
good stuff the other day!?!?! You too could do a testimonial now!!
VBG

Anyway, I think that you should ask him/her and one of his/her friends
and maybe take the teacher as a chaperone, along with your son, to a
'burg & fries or something at Micky Dee's or some such. Give the
honest kid a bit of recognition amongst his/her set, rather than
strictly a monetary appreciation.

Take care.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

On Wed, 04 Feb 2009 14:44:11 -0600, Ignoramus28897
wrote:

I received a call from our local Junior High, where my second grader's
class conducted a concert yesterday. (apparently, they use Junior High
facilities for this)

Apparently, one of their junior high students found a wallet today
that I lost there yesterday, so I received a call from them. I will be
picking it up.

Assuming that most of the money is still in the wallet, I want to
leave that student a thank you note with $20 included.

Would that be inappropriate in any way.

Thanks

PS I found one wallet and one cell phone at various points, and of
course tracked and returned them to owners. But I have money, and I am
older, unlike junior high students, so their honesty is much more
impressive.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus28897 writes:

I received a call from our local Junior High, where my second grader's
class conducted a concert yesterday. (apparently, they use Junior High
facilities for this)

Apparently, one of their junior high students found a wallet today
that I lost there yesterday, so I received a call from them. I will be
picking it up.

Assuming that most of the money is still in the wallet, I want to
leave that student a thank you note with $20 included.

Would that be inappropriate in any way.

Absolutely not. Do it.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-02-04, Winston wrote:
Jim Stewart wrote:
Ignoramus28897 wrote:

(...)

Assuming that most of the money is still in the wallet, I want to
leave that student a thank you note with $20 included.
Would that be inappropriate in any way.

Appropriate in all ways.

Seconded. I got one of those calls (and my wallet returned with all
contents) about 25 years ago. It fell out as I was changing a tire.

To this day, I regret not rewarding the honest people who called me.
(I figured I couldn't afford to reward them beyond saying 'thank you'.)

Please consider the feelings of the honest student and keep the
reward private, a 'thank you' between you, the student and
parents. That kid would get razzed mercilessly if it became generally
known that they had a chance to behave like a corporate senior manager
and passed it up.

I have already made up a brown envelope to hand over.
posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Always reward honest, positive behavior. Especially in youngsters.
I once followed a trail of $1 and $5 bills down the sidewalk. $45 worth.
Of course, I had no way to know who, why, or how this bizarre situation
happened, but chalked it up to good fortune and added it to my fortune.
JR
Dweller in the cellar

Ignoramus28897 wrote:
I received a call from our local Junior High, where my second grader's
class conducted a concert yesterday. (apparently, they use Junior High
facilities for this)

Apparently, one of their junior high students found a wallet today
that I lost there yesterday, so I received a call from them. I will be
picking it up.

Assuming that most of the money is still in the wallet, I want to
leave that student a thank you note with $20 included.

Would that be inappropriate in any way.

Thanks

PS I found one wallet and one cell phone at various points, and of
course tracked and returned them to owners. But I have money, and I am
older, unlike junior high students, so their honesty is much more
impressive.

Dependence is Vulnerability:
"Open the Pod Bay Doors please, Hal"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I found a purse once with several hundred dollars in, and I was offered a
reward, which I refused. So the lady brought me a cake. Even though the
cake cost less than the reward would have been, it meant more to me and is
still remembered. The money would have blended into what I already had, and
stood out less. To a school kid, though, a cash reward probably means a lot
more. How about giving both?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-02-04, Brian Lawson wrote:
Hey Lucky........errrr....Iggy,

Good fortune smiles on you. Did you get that chain-letter promising
good stuff the other day!?!?! You too could do a testimonial now!!

No, but my long forgotten Nigerian uncle just left me a big
inheritance. I seem to have a lot of such uncles.

Anyway, I think that you should ask him/her and one of his/her friends
and maybe take the teacher as a chaperone, along with your son, to a
'burg & fries or something at Micky Dee's or some such. Give the
honest kid a bit of recognition amongst his/her set, rather than
strictly a monetary appreciation.

This, I think goes a little bit against "concerns about socializing
with random kids", plus what if it is a girl, a whole new dimension.
Whereas money is money.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-02-04, Leo Lichtman wrote:
I found a purse once with several hundred dollars in, and I was offered a
reward, which I refused. So the lady brought me a cake. Even though the
cake cost less than the reward would have been, it meant more to me and is
still remembered. The money would have blended into what I already had, and
stood out less. To a school kid, though, a cash reward probably means a lot
more. How about giving both?

What if the kid does not eat cake. I do not eat cake. For over 5
years, have not eaten anything like cake or candy or ice cream. I
think money like $20 means a lot to a junior high student and has the
least strings attached.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus28897" wrote in message
I received a call from our local Junior High, where my second grader's
class conducted a concert yesterday. (apparently, they use Junior High
facilities for this)

Apparently, one of their junior high students found a wallet today
that I lost there yesterday, so I received a call from them. I will be
picking it up.

Assuming that most of the money is still in the wallet, I want to
leave that student a thank you note with $20 included.

Would that be inappropriate in any way.

Thanks

PS I found one wallet and one cell phone at various points, and of
course tracked and returned them to owners. But I have money, and I am
older, unlike junior high students, so their honesty is much more
impressive.

--
Due to extreme spam originating from Google Groups, and their
inattention

I would only reward him ($20) with his parents knowledge.
I used to hire local kids (local to wherever I was working) to watch my
surveying gear as I stepped away 50 or so feet. Would give them $10 to
stand around for about a half hour. Got in trouble several times from
parents. "Don't you be giving my kid money without my knowing". While I
thought that was extreme, I do see their point.

Deliver the money to the kids home and hand it over in front of the parents.
They should be PROUD!!!!

Ivan Vegvary

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ivan Vegvary wrote:

"Ignoramus28897" wrote in
message ...
I received a call from our local Junior High, where my second
grader's class conducted a concert yesterday. (apparently, they use
Junior High facilities for this)

Apparently, one of their junior high students found a wallet today
that I lost there yesterday, so I received a call from them. I will
be picking it up.

Assuming that most of the money is still in the wallet, I want to
leave that student a thank you note with $20 included.

Would that be inappropriate in any way.

Thanks

PS I found one wallet and one cell phone at various points, and of
course tracked and returned them to owners. But I have money, and I
am older, unlike junior high students, so their honesty is much
more impressive.

-- Due to extreme spam originating from Google Groups, and their
inattention to spammers, I and many others block all articles
originating from Google Groups. If you want your postings to be
seen by more readers you will need to find a different means of
posting on Usenet. http://improve-usenet.org/

I would only reward him ($20) with his parents knowledge. I used to
hire local kids (local to wherever I was working) to watch my
surveying gear as I stepped away 50 or so feet. Would give them $10
to stand around for about a half hour. Got in trouble several times
from parents. "Don't you be giving my kid money without my knowing".
While I thought that was extreme, I do see their point.

I'd interested in what part of the country
and what year that was. It's pretty much
just the opposite of what I've seen.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus28897" wrote in message
I received a call from our local Junior High, where my second grader's
class conducted a concert yesterday. (apparently, they use Junior High
facilities for this)

Apparently, one of their junior high students found a wallet today
that I lost there yesterday, so I received a call from them. I will be
picking it up.

Assuming that most of the money is still in the wallet, I want to
leave that student a thank you note with $20 included.

Would that be inappropriate in any way.

Thanks

Yes, appropriate, and thank them for not being a dishonest Democrat!

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus28897" wrote in message
I received a call from our local Junior High, where my second grader's
class conducted a concert yesterday. (apparently, they use Junior High
facilities for this)

Apparently, one of their junior high students found a wallet today
that I lost there yesterday, so I received a call from them. I will be
picking it up.

Assuming that most of the money is still in the wallet, I want to
leave that student a thank you note with $20 included.

Would that be inappropriate in any way.

Thanks

PS I found one wallet and one cell phone at various points, and of
course tracked and returned them to owners. But I have money, and I am
older, unlike junior high students, so their honesty is much more
impressive.

Your reward to them and your recognition of them should be PUBLIC.

Napoleon , it is said, once remarked that if he had enough ribbons and
medals he could conquer all the known world. Praise and recognition should
public, recriminations as privately as possible.

Good for the teen, good for your soul.

Flash

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jim Stewart" wrote in message
Ivan Vegvary wrote:

"Ignoramus28897" wrote in
message ...
[...]

seen by more readers you will need to find a different means of posting
on Usenet. http://improve-usenet.org/

I would only reward him ($20) with his parents knowledge. I used to
hire local kids (local to wherever I was working) to watch my surveying
gear as I stepped away 50 or so feet. Would give them $10
to stand around for about a half hour. Got in trouble several times
from parents. "Don't you be giving my kid money without my knowing".
While I thought that was extreme, I do see their point.

I'd interested in what part of the country
and what year that was. It's pretty much
just the opposite of what I've seen.

Oakland, CA
African American neighborhood and African American kids. I think a possible
issue was the "Don't you come around here (whitey) and mess with our (black)
kids" attitude. While I always try to hire youth I will admit that my
motives were selfish. If you don't hire some of them, all your equipment
gets stolen by the same ones you didn't hire. This is probably true of any
'rough' neighborhood regardless of color.

Ivan Vegvary

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ivan Vegvary wrote:

"Jim Stewart" wrote in message
Ivan Vegvary wrote:

"Ignoramus28897" wrote in
message ...
[...]

Now it makes sense. I lived for years, a couple
blocks from MacArthur and Grand. Never tried it in
the hood...

Don't get me wrong, I think Oakland is a pretty
amazing place and I miss it sometimes. OTOH, there
is also some serious **** to overcome.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Flash" writes:

Your reward to them and your recognition of them should be PUBLIC.

Napoleon , it is said, once remarked that if he had enough ribbons and
medals he could conquer all the known world. Praise and recognition should
public, recriminations as privately as possible.

Good for the teen, good for your soul.

I disagree. A reward should be in whatever form most honors the
recipient. Having had a couple of children survive high school in
recent years, rewarding the finder privately is by far the better
option -- any public recognition is more likely to do harm than good.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-02-04, Leo Lichtman wrote:
I found a purse once with several hundred dollars in, and I was offered

reward, which I refused. So the lady brought me a cake. Even though

the
cake cost less than the reward would have been, it meant more to me and

is
still remembered. The money would have blended into what I already had,

and
stood out less. To a school kid, though, a cash reward probably means a

lot
more. How about giving both?

What if the kid does not eat cake. I do not eat cake. For over 5
years, have not eaten anything like cake or candy or ice cream. I
think money like $20 means a lot to a junior high student and has the
least strings attached.

How about this idea. Instead of a $20 bill, swing by the bank and get some
of those gold dollars. I get these for tipping waitresses and I tend to be
remembered more than if I left a dollar bill when I go in the next time.
Also if you time your arrival at the school to arrive just before the lunch
hour, they will probably have no problem summoning the kid to the office to
be rewarded personally rather than getting an envelope.

--
Roger Shoaf

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ivan Vegvary" wrote in message

I used to hire local kids (local to wherever I was working) to watch my
surveying gear as I stepped away 50 or so feet. Would give them $10 to
stand around for about a half hour. Got in trouble several times from
parents. "Don't you be giving my kid money without my knowing". While I
thought that was extreme, I do see their point.

Something is wrong with the parents of those kids. There is a big
difference between what you did and lets say some pervert offering a kid
some money to get into his car and help him go find a lost puppy. In your
case the kid was already on the scene and was not lured to go anywhere, nor
was the time the kid was asked to work something that would cause a conflict
with parental concern.

I would have no problem continuing that practice, and if a parent complained
in the future I would suggest to them that if they had a problem with there
kids earning an honest buck that they instruct there kids to decline any
offers of this kind of employment.

--
Roger Shoaf

High School Bob La Londe Metalworking 7 July 10th 08 08:11 PM
A Swinging Arm Plant Holder - Project for Middle School Students Sam Soltan Woodworking Plans and Photos 0 March 29th 08 08:28 PM
Printmking For High School J T Woodworking 0 August 2nd 06 07:54 PM
Book recommendation for a junior high student flybd5 Electronics Repair 8 June 28th 06 07:25 PM
High School In The 1930's (O.T.) KyMike Metalworking 0 December 10th 05 06:29 AM