Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Stewart Jim Stewart is offline

Default Honest junior high school students

Ivan Vegvary wrote:

"Jim Stewart" wrote in message
Ivan Vegvary wrote:

"Ignoramus28897" wrote in
message ...
I received a call from our local Junior High, where my second
grader's class conducted a concert yesterday. (apparently, they use
Junior High facilities for this)

Apparently, one of their junior high students found a wallet today
that I lost there yesterday, so I received a call from them. I will
be picking it up.

Assuming that most of the money is still in the wallet, I want to
leave that student a thank you note with $20 included.

Would that be inappropriate in any way.

Thanks

PS I found one wallet and one cell phone at various points, and of
course tracked and returned them to owners. But I have money, and I
am older, unlike junior high students, so their honesty is much
more impressive.

-- Due to extreme spam originating from Google Groups, and their
inattention to spammers, I and many others block all articles
originating from Google Groups. If you want your postings to be
seen by more readers you will need to find a different means of
posting on Usenet. http://improve-usenet.org/

I would only reward him ($20) with his parents knowledge. I used to
hire local kids (local to wherever I was working) to watch my
surveying gear as I stepped away 50 or so feet. Would give them $10
to stand around for about a half hour. Got in trouble several times
from parents. "Don't you be giving my kid money without my knowing".
While I thought that was extreme, I do see their point.

I'd interested in what part of the country
and what year that was. It's pretty much
just the opposite of what I've seen.

Oakland, CA
African American neighborhood and African American kids. I think a
possible issue was the "Don't you come around here (whitey) and mess
with our (black) kids" attitude. While I always try to hire youth I
will admit that my motives were selfish. If you don't hire some of
them, all your equipment gets stolen by the same ones you didn't hire.
This is probably true of any 'rough' neighborhood regardless of color.

Now it makes sense. I lived for years, a couple
blocks from MacArthur and Grand. Never tried it in
the hood...

Don't get me wrong, I think Oakland is a pretty
amazing place and I miss it sometimes. OTOH, there
is also some serious **** to overcome.