Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default $75 4x6 bandsaw at Harbor Freight

Looks like Harbor Freight is changing the venerable 4x6 bandsaw from the
green model they've sold for years (37151) for an improved (?) red one:

The old one isn't on the Web site but the manual still is:

http://www.harborfreight.com/manuals...7999/37151.pdf

Anyway, I found the old one on sale for $75 at the local store while they
last. Cheap enough I just bought one for parts.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

*http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=93762

The old one isn't on the Web site but the manual still is:

*http://www.harborfreight.com/manuals...7999/37151.pdf

Anyway, I found the old one on sale for $75 at the local store while they
last. *Cheap enough I just bought one for parts.

I did notice the change last time I was over that way in the store.
My old green one was made in Taiwan, maybe the new stuff is all chink
now. Lots more pressed parts and fewer castings on the new one. It
does have a tray in the stand now, might be good, might be bad, looks
like it'd funnel swarf right into whatever you put on the tray. $75
was about what I paid for mine a few years back with the half-off
price plus coupon.

Stan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 17 Jan 2009 17:40:55 -0600, Richard J Kinch wrote:

Looks like Harbor Freight is changing the venerable 4x6 bandsaw from the
green model they've sold for years (37151) for an improved (?) red one:

The old one isn't on the Web site but the manual still is:

http://www.harborfreight.com/manuals...7999/37151.pdf

Anyway, I found the old one on sale for $75 at the local store while they
last. Cheap enough I just bought one for parts.

I suspect that the price is almost entirely based on shipping costs and the
markup the seller wants to make. Certainly, the same basic design seems to
vary by a factor of four in price, based on no significant change in
specification. It's like Ebay, wait until you see one at a price you are happy
with. I paid about half the current UK going rate for mine and (once I'd
cleaned the gearbox out and put proper 1000cST oil in it) it does sterling
work for me.

Mark Rand
RTFM
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 17, 5:40*pm, Richard J Kinch wrote:
Looks like Harbor Freight is changing the venerable 4x6 bandsaw from the
green model they've sold for years (37151) for an improved (?) red one:

*http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=93762

The old one isn't on the Web site but the manual still is:

*http://www.harborfreight.com/manuals...7999/37151.pdf

Anyway, I found the old one on sale for $75 at the local store while they
last. *Cheap enough I just bought one for parts.

Thanks for the heads up.

TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Richard J Kinch wrote:

Looks like Harbor Freight is changing the venerable 4x6 bandsaw from the
green model they've sold for years (37151) for an improved (?) red one:

The old one isn't on the Web site but the manual still is:

http://www.harborfreight.com/manuals...7999/37151.pdf

Anyway, I found the old one on sale for $75 at the local store while they
last. Cheap enough I just bought one for parts.

I'll have to check for one. My old style green one has been great,
certainly worth the normal sale price I paid.