Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default T Lathe

I've never heard of a T-Lathe, learn something new every day.

anyone want to face off some really big plates?

Found on Ebay.....
item number: 230300805457

I see no handwheel to move the carriage, only a motor. weird???

cross slide and compound look normal.

Thank You,
Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Randy" wrote in message
I've never heard of a T-Lathe, learn something new every day.

anyone want to face off some really big plates?

Found on Ebay.....
item number: 230300805457

I see no handwheel to move the carriage, only a motor. weird???

cross slide and compound look normal.

I like that! I could do with one. Well, maybe a tad smaller...

--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Randy writes:

item number: 230300805457

That's:

Wow. A few seats on the chuck, and you'd have yourself a Ferris wheel for
entertainment at lunchtime.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-01-18, Richard J Kinch wrote:
Randy writes:

item number: 230300805457

That's:

Wow. A few seats on the chuck, and you'd have yourself a Ferris wheel for
entertainment at lunchtime.

I thought that the sort of parts for which you would need a lathe like
this, would be better handled on a vertical lathe?
posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 17 Jan 2009 19:31:59 -0600, Richard J Kinch
wrote:

Randy writes:

item number: 230300805457

That's:

Wow. A few seats on the chuck, and you'd have yourself a Ferris wheel for
entertainment at lunchtime.

Thats a little more than double the price I brokered one for, about 3
yrs ago.

It should be interesting to see if this one sells.

T-lathes of this size are rather impractical for most applications.

How to you put the work piece in place, and keep it there while
adjusting the chuck jaws and runout?

Think hard....chuckle

A VTL makes more sense

http://cgi.ebay.com/King-62-Inch-Ver...em270330195492

Just one (expensive) example.

Ive got an 8' one available to broker if anyone needs one. Probably
about $13k

Gunner

Whenever a Liberal utters the term "Common Sense approach"....grab your
wallet, your ass, and your guns because the sombitch is about to do
something damned nasty to all three of them.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 17 Jan 2009 20:42:15 -0600, Ignoramus14219

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I skipped the meeting, but the Memos showed that Gunner Asch
wrote on Sun, 18 Jan 2009 14:46:23 -0800
in rec.crafts.metalworking :

On 2009-01-18, Richard J Kinch wrote:
Randy writes:

item number: 230300805457

That's:

Wow. A few seats on the chuck, and you'd have yourself a Ferris wheel for
entertainment at lunchtime.

I thought that the sort of parts for which you would need a lathe like
this, would be better handled on a vertical lathe?

Very much true.

I had to go look before I contributed my two cents. I worked for a
company which turned 32 foot long forgings, so they had some
hugemongous manual lathes. Loads of fun.
This looks to me to be something intended to face work something
like a manhole cover, rather than turn a 4 foot diameter shaft. Or
could it be that there's a tail stock unit I'm not seeing? ("Ah, now
we are talking Extras!")

It looks loverly, but I don't think I want to put it in the
carport. Too exposed.

pyotr
--
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!

On 2009-01-18, Richard J Kinch wrote:
Randy writes:

[...]

Of course its only for short but wide items. Seal rings, flanges, mag
wheels, hubcap molds, pizza pan dies and so forth G

They definately have a place in the lathe world..but its rather limited
as to their use.

Gunner

Whenever a Liberal utters the term "Common Sense approach"....grab your
wallet, your ass, and your guns because the sombitch is about to do
something damned nasty to all three of them.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch wrote in
:

Of course its only for short but wide items. Seal rings, flanges, mag
wheels, hubcap molds, pizza pan dies and so forth G

They definately have a place in the lathe world..but its rather limited
as to their use.

My first thought was that it was for Rail Car wheels...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 19 Jan 2009 18:24:55 GMT, "RAM³" wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote in
:

Of course its only for short but wide items. Seal rings, flanges, mag
wheels, hubcap molds, pizza pan dies and so forth G

They definately have a place in the lathe world..but its rather limited
as to their use.

My first thought was that it was for Rail Car wheels...

Could be...but as I recall, those are turned/ground on a similar but
different lathe, between centers..much much more beefy.
That lathe is pretty light duty..in the grand scheme of things

Gunner

Whenever a Liberal utters the term "Common Sense approach"....grab your
wallet, your ass, and your guns because the sombitch is about to do
something damned nasty to all three of them.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch wrote in
:

On 19 Jan 2009 18:24:55 GMT, "RAM³" wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote in
m:

Of course its only for short but wide items. Seal rings, flanges, mag
wheels, hubcap molds, pizza pan dies and so forth G

They definately have a place in the lathe world..but its rather limited
as to their use.

My first thought was that it was for Rail Car wheels...

Could be...but as I recall, those are turned/ground on a similar but
different lathe, between centers..much much more beefy.
That lathe is pretty light duty..in the grand scheme of things

Looking at the faceplate (I hesitate to call it a chuck) it would seem to
be only marginally adjustable with bolt-down clamps in lieu of jaws. The
clamps would, however, be adequate to hold the outer edges of a RR wheel
flange.

Could it be that it was used to true up worn wheels?