Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RAM³ RAM³ is offline

Default T Lathe

Gunner Asch wrote in
:

On 19 Jan 2009 18:24:55 GMT, "RAM³" wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote in
m:

Of course its only for short but wide items. Seal rings, flanges, mag
wheels, hubcap molds, pizza pan dies and so forth G

They definately have a place in the lathe world..but its rather limited
as to their use.

My first thought was that it was for Rail Car wheels...

Could be...but as I recall, those are turned/ground on a similar but
different lathe, between centers..much much more beefy.
That lathe is pretty light duty..in the grand scheme of things

Looking at the faceplate (I hesitate to call it a chuck) it would seem to
be only marginally adjustable with bolt-down clamps in lieu of jaws. The
clamps would, however, be adequate to hold the outer edges of a RR wheel
flange.

Could it be that it was used to true up worn wheels?