Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default T Lathe

I skipped the meeting, but the Memos showed that Gunner Asch
wrote on Sun, 18 Jan 2009 14:46:23 -0800
in rec.crafts.metalworking :
On Sat, 17 Jan 2009 20:42:15 -0600, Ignoramus14219

On 2009-01-18, Richard J Kinch wrote:
Randy writes:

item number: 230300805457

That's:

Wow. A few seats on the chuck, and you'd have yourself a Ferris wheel for
entertainment at lunchtime.

I thought that the sort of parts for which you would need a lathe like
this, would be better handled on a vertical lathe?

Very much true.

I had to go look before I contributed my two cents. I worked for a
company which turned 32 foot long forgings, so they had some
hugemongous manual lathes. Loads of fun.
This looks to me to be something intended to face work something
like a manhole cover, rather than turn a 4 foot diameter shaft. Or
could it be that there's a tail stock unit I'm not seeing? ("Ah, now
we are talking Extras!")

It looks loverly, but I don't think I want to put it in the
carport. Too exposed.

pyotr
--
pyotr filipivich