Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default ackerman swivel casters conversion, iterations 2 and 3 (more glory- new pix posted)

thanks for your help and insights roy, charlie, bill jordan jim all you
guys.

decided today I wanted the steering drag bar 'outside the frame' rather
than below it but that didn't work out quite right. see first 2 shots he

http://bubba.hostrator.com/ackerman_caster_tests_2+3/

then I resigned myself to my fate, and tried another iteration to
achieve ackerman-function. finally managed to get a bit better 'acker'
but it's still not quite right. maybe you can help. that, or I need
brain surgery.

many thanks, guys

toolie :-)

ps - don't forget the bonus questions that still need answers :-)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 17:10:14 -0500, dave wrote:

then I resigned myself to my fate, and tried another iteration to
achieve ackerman-function. finally managed to get a bit better 'acker'
but it's still not quite right. maybe you can help. that, or I need
brain surgery.

Angle the arms so that the line from the joints, through the caster axes (ie
the effective angle of the arms) intersect about in the middle of the rear
"axle". Adjust track rod length to suit. That'll be near enough to make it
work. Arms can be behind the wheels or in front of them.

Mark Rand (Spent too much time making cars and truck out of Meccano as a kid)
RTFM
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

http://bubba.hostrator.com/ackerman_caster_tests_2+3/

Isn't the design of ackerman steering basically a straight line from
the center of the rear axle through the center of the steering joint
(king pin) and continued through the center of the drag link
attachment to the steering arm?
Try:
http://www.nationaltbucketalliance.c...n/Ackerman.asp

for a better explanation.
Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

converting normal 'swivel' casters to ackerman steering, for *HEAVILY*loaded dollies pix posted dave Metalworking 7 January 12th 09 05:24 AM
swivel vs fixed casters for welder cart? Grant Erwin Metalworking 39 September 27th 08 12:51 PM
RCDs in all their glory John Rumm UK diy 29 June 6th 07 12:01 AM
Restored to Glory Weatherlawyer UK diy 2 December 9th 05 03:26 PM
The Glory Days Of "Fine Woodworking" Are Behind Us Tom Watson Woodworking 90 June 28th 05 01:29 PM