Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default White gas?

I snagged a Therm'X Safety Heater model 30-C on Ebay, brand new. It's a
catalytic gauze burner type from the '60's. the instructions say to use
a couple different brand name fuels, neither now available or even
Googleable.
The instructions also say in a pinch, to use white gas or "pure naphtha".
.......humming
is white gas just unleaded? How do we define "pure Naphtha"? Petroleum
naphtha?
JR
Dweller in the cellar

Dependence is Vulnerability:
"Open the Pod Bay Doors please, Hal"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"JR North" wrote in message
I snagged a Therm'X Safety Heater model 30-C on Ebay, brand new. It's a
catalytic gauze burner type from the '60's. the instructions say to use a
couple different brand name fuels, neither now available or even
Googleable.
The instructions also say in a pinch, to use white gas or "pure naphtha".
......humming
is white gas just unleaded? How do we define "pure Naphtha"?

Naphtha, as bottled by virgins.

Petroleum naphtha?

Yes. You can get it at a hardware or paint store. Coleman Lantern Fuel is
the same thing.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

JR North wrote:
I snagged a Therm'X Safety Heater model 30-C on Ebay, brand new. It's a
catalytic gauze burner type from the '60's. the instructions say to use
a couple different brand name fuels, neither now available or even
Googleable.
The instructions also say in a pinch, to use white gas or "pure naphtha".
......humming
is white gas just unleaded? How do we define "pure Naphtha"? Petroleum
naphtha?
JR
Dweller in the cellar

Coleman Camp Fuel...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 06 Jan 2009 08:44:20 -0800, JR North
wrote:

I snagged a Therm'X Safety Heater model 30-C on Ebay, brand new. It's a
catalytic gauze burner type from the '60's. the instructions say to use
a couple different brand name fuels, neither now available or even
Googleable.
The instructions also say in a pinch, to use white gas or "pure naphtha".
......humming
is white gas just unleaded? How do we define "pure Naphtha"? Petroleum
naphtha?
JR
Dweller in the cellar

Coleman fuel.
White gas is "straight run" gasoline - no additives - not readily
available today.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I snagged a Therm'X Safety Heater model 30-C on Ebay, brand new. It's a
catalytic gauze burner type from the '60's. the instructions say to use
a couple different brand name fuels, neither now available or even
Googleable.
The instructions also say in a pinch, to use white gas or "pure naphtha".
......humming
is white gas just unleaded? How do we define "pure Naphtha"? Petroleum
naphtha?
JR
Dweller in the cellar

White gas..is Coleman fuel.

Unless the device specfies that it will run on unleades...IE "multi
fuel"....dont use any form of gasoline. Gasoline has lots of other Stuff
in it, that tends to coat,gum, plug and varnish up the internals of the
working parts over time...often a very short time.

Gunner

"Upon Roosevelt's death in 1945, H. L. Mencken predicted in his diary
that Roosevelt would be remembered as a great president, "maybe even
alongside Washington and Lincoln," opining that Roosevelt "had every
quality that morons esteem in their heroes.""

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

White gas is "straight run" gasoline - no additives - not readily
available today.

Hidden as camp fuel at Walmart.

Speaking of which, it tends to sell in the gallon cans there at about twice
the unleaded filling station gallon price. So this should be around $3
something again. The local Walmart has had neither Coleman brand or the
store brand for weeks, and the shelf tag still has it at almost 9
dollars/gallon from last summer (when gasoline was 4.50/gallon). There is
one badly dented up can that has been sitting there for months unsold.

Sure looks like the oil price has put the supply of this item into turmoil.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Richard J Kinch wrote:
White gas is "straight run" gasoline - no additives - not readily
available today.

Hidden as camp fuel at Walmart.

Speaking of which, it tends to sell in the gallon cans there at about twice
the unleaded filling station gallon price. So this should be around $3
something again. The local Walmart has had neither Coleman brand or the
store brand for weeks, and the shelf tag still has it at almost 9
dollars/gallon from last summer (when gasoline was 4.50/gallon). There is
one badly dented up can that has been sitting there for months unsold.

Sure looks like the oil price has put the supply of this item into turmoil.

I am lucky when I can even get ONE gallon of Coleman fuel at the three
Wal~marts around here. The local Amish population seem to arrive as they
stock it, sort of like sharks to a chum bucket!

Same thing with plain "lamp oil"

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I snagged a Therm'X Safety Heater model 30-C on Ebay, brand new. It's a
catalytic gauze burner type from the '60's. the instructions say to use
a couple different brand name fuels, neither now available or even
Googleable.
The instructions also say in a pinch, to use white gas or "pure naphtha".
......humming
is white gas just unleaded? How do we define "pure Naphtha"? Petroleum
naphtha?
JR

White gas..is Coleman fuel.

Unless the device specfies that it will run on unleades...IE "multi
fuel"....dont use any form of gasoline. Gasoline has lots of other Stuff
in it, that tends to coat,gum, plug and varnish up the internals of the
working parts over time...often a very short time.

Gunner

I'd also be concerned that combustion residues from additives in
unleaded gas would poison the catalyst. Why risk it?
[at]=@, [dash]=- & [dot]=. *Warning* HTML & 32K emails -- NUL:
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 06 Jan 2009 16:48:49 -0600, Richard J Kinch
wrote:

White gas is "straight run" gasoline - no additives - not readily
available today.

Hidden as camp fuel at Walmart.

Speaking of which, it tends to sell in the gallon cans there at about twice
the unleaded filling station gallon price. So this should be around $3
something again. The local Walmart has had neither Coleman brand or the
store brand for weeks, and the shelf tag still has it at almost 9
dollars/gallon from last summer (when gasoline was 4.50/gallon). There is
one badly dented up can that has been sitting there for months unsold.

Sure looks like the oil price has put the supply of this item into turmoil.

I thought that's what I said. Use coleman fuel.
REAL white gas in not coleman fuel but coleman fuel is the modern
replacement.

White gas was used to run things like washing machine engines. Coleman
fuel sucks as a motor fuel.

We used to be able to buy white gas from the local hardware store and
Dad used it on his first roto-tiller. Leaded gas, the only alternative
at the time, caused the valves to stick.
White gas was used in the old pump type blowtorches too.
Coleman fuel works just fine for them today.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

A big concern indeed. I killed a Sears cat heater once, doing exactly
that when I had no other fuel besides gasoline on hand.

Its an interesting door stop now.

Gunner

"Upon Roosevelt's death in 1945, H. L. Mencken predicted in his diary
that Roosevelt would be remembered as a great president, "maybe even
alongside Washington and Lincoln," opining that Roosevelt "had every
quality that morons esteem in their heroes.""

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 06 Jan 2009 18:46:45 -0500, "Steve W."
wrote:

Richard J Kinch wrote:
White gas is "straight run" gasoline - no additives - not readily
available today.

Hidden as camp fuel at Walmart.

Speaking of which, it tends to sell in the gallon cans there at about twice
the unleaded filling station gallon price. So this should be around $3
something again. The local Walmart has had neither Coleman brand or the
store brand for weeks, and the shelf tag still has it at almost 9
dollars/gallon from last summer (when gasoline was 4.50/gallon). There is
one badly dented up can that has been sitting there for months unsold.

Sure looks like the oil price has put the supply of this item into turmoil.

I am lucky when I can even get ONE gallon of Coleman fuel at the three
Wal~marts around here. The local Amish population seem to arrive as they
stock it, sort of like sharks to a chum bucket!

Same thing with plain "lamp oil"

Lamp oil is nothing more than kerosene. You can buy a 5 gallon can of
it at your local bulk plant, or from your favorite machine shop supply
company. Check pricing FIRST....it tends to vary a lot.

Kerosene is used in a lot of screw machine shops for some machineing
operations and for parts cleaning.

You can, in pinch...use #2 fuel oil in a kerosen lantern and
diesel..but its more stinky and smokey.

Jet A works pretty well...very well actually...particularly in the
Petromax lanterns that are intended for kerosene. Just make sure its
not the Winter Mix with gasoline in it. Shrug

Gunner

"Upon Roosevelt's death in 1945, H. L. Mencken predicted in his diary
that Roosevelt would be remembered as a great president, "maybe even
alongside Washington and Lincoln," opining that Roosevelt "had every
quality that morons esteem in their heroes.""
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ok, I just happen to have a 5 gal pail of petroleum naphtha in my 'one
of everything' pile. That's about 75 hrs of heat. I was hoping for
heat on the cheap, not to pony up for 2-3X cost 'camp fuel', but, I've
never bought or priced it around here. All my Coleman stuff is
propane.
JR
Dweller in the cellar

wrote:

I snagged a Therm'X Safety Heater model 30-C on Ebay, brand new. It's a
catalytic gauze burner type from the '60's. the instructions say to use
a couple different brand name fuels, neither now available or even
Googleable.
The instructions also say in a pinch, to use white gas or "pure naphtha".
......humming
is white gas just unleaded? How do we define "pure Naphtha"? Petroleum
naphtha?
JR
Dweller in the cellar

Dependence is Vulnerability:
"Open the Pod Bay Doors please, Hal"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Richard J Kinch wrote:
[...]

This stuff isn't straight kerosene, It is a blend of light oil and
paraffin with none of the stench of kerosene. I can get K1 at the local
station. I use it in the old salamander I have.

Kerosene is used in a lot of screw machine shops for some machineing
operations and for parts cleaning.

You can, in pinch...use #2 fuel oil in a kerosen lantern and
diesel..but its more stinky and smokey.

I use it in a Kerosun heater as well. That one is in the shop and gets
used for heat now and again.

Jet A works pretty well...very well actually...particularly in the
Petromax lanterns that are intended for kerosene. Just make sure its
not the Winter Mix with gasoline in it. Shrug

Gunner

"Upon Roosevelt's death in 1945, H. L. Mencken predicted in his diary
that Roosevelt would be remembered as a great president, "maybe even
alongside Washington and Lincoln," opining that Roosevelt "had every
quality that morons esteem in their heroes.""

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve W. writes:

This stuff isn't straight kerosene, It is a blend of light oil and
paraffin with none of the stench of kerosene.

No, parrafin is British English for kerosene. Industrial chemists like to
confuse customers with their product labels.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paraffin

Lamp oil is just kerosene refined to be very, very low sulfur, thus less
odorous.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

REAL white gas in not coleman fuel but coleman fuel is the modern
replacement.

I don't know how you define "real" here, but Coleman fuel is the same run
of petroleum distillate that was sold as "white gas" in olden days.

The problem with it as a motor fuel is the low octane rating from lack of
antiknock additives.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I skipped the meeting, but the Memos showed that Gunner Asch
wrote on Tue, 06 Jan 2009 14:08:08 -0800
in rec.crafts.metalworking :
wrote:

I snagged a Therm'X Safety Heater model 30-C on Ebay, brand new. It's a
catalytic gauze burner type from the '60's. the instructions say to use
a couple different brand name fuels, neither now available or even
Googleable.
The instructions also say in a pinch, to use white gas or "pure naphtha".
......humming
is white gas just unleaded? How do we define "pure Naphtha"? Petroleum
naphtha?
JR
Dweller in the cellar

White gas..is Coleman fuel.

Unless the device specfies that it will run on unleades...IE "multi
fuel"....dont use any form of gasoline. Gasoline has lots of other Stuff
in it, that tends to coat,gum, plug and varnish up the internals of the
working parts over time...often a very short time.

The story is told that back in the 40s, the Army Air Force lost a
number of barrels of AV Gas in Alaska. Barge sank and they floated
away as I recall. the reference is a four hour drive away. Well,
there were a lot of folks who were really happy to have this bounty of
fifty gallons of free gas. Till all the additives to give it that
high octane number started causing problems. With Coleman lanterns,
gas stoves, outboard motors ...
--
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 07 Jan 2009 00:27:39 -0500, "Steve W."
wrote:

Same thing with plain "lamp oil"

Lamp oil is nothing more than kerosene. You can buy a 5 gallon can of
it at your local bulk plant, or from your favorite machine shop supply
company. Check pricing FIRST....it tends to vary a lot.

This stuff isn't straight kerosene, It is a blend of light oil and
paraffin with none of the stench of kerosene. I can get K1 at the local
station. I use it in the old salamander I have.

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-lamp-oil.htm

Lamp oil is a liquid petroleum product that is designed to burn cleanly
in brass and glass oil lamps, torches and lanterns. In the same family
as kerosene, lamp oil has been further processed and refined so that it
doesn't produce as much harmful smoke, soot and other pollutants. Lamp
oil can be used for everything from emergency indoor lighting during a
blackout to soothing lamp light for a summer evening's barbecue.

When homes used to be lit solely by lamps, the fuel they burned was
usually kerosene, similar to gasoline or charcoal lighter fluid.
Kerosene, however, wasn't ideal, since it creates a lot of black soot
that darkens the glass globes of lanterns and dirties windows, walls,
fabric and anything with which it comes in contact. Manufacturers, under
pressure from eager consumers, decided to distill kerosene further so
the fuel could be burned indoors without as much inconvenience.

Now you can find "ultrapure" or "ultraclean" lamp oil at most
supermarkets, outdoor suppliers and camping stores. Some people keep a
store of lamp oil along with other emergency supplies, such as a
battery-powered radio, water and first aid kit. Lamps are safer than
candles and more reliable than flashlights.

As an oil distillate, lamp oil is a flammable liquid that releases
energy in the form of light and heat when hydrocarbons burn. Like other
hydrocarbon products, lamp oil must be treated with care. Always follow
the instructions of your lamp or lantern when filling the reservoir.
Usually, it's safe to fill it to within about 1/2 inch (1 cm) of the
top. Clean and clip the wick before each lighting and never roll down
the wick while it is alight. Lamp oil should be kept at or near room
temperature, not in a garage or shed where it could freeze. Frozen oil
may defrost too quickly, posing an explosive hazard.

The standard variety of lamp oil resembles water in its viscosity. It's
also perfectly clear. However, there are many specialty varieties that
appeal to people's sense of design. Oil can be colored so it adds a
decorative touch to lanterns with transparent reservoirs. Purple or red
flare up a romantic atmosphere, while green and blue evoke serenity.

Oil can also be aromatic so that when it burns, it spreads a soothing
scent through the air, much like an air freshener. Rose or lavender
might be appropriate scents for a master bathroom or bedroom, while
lemongrass or vanilla could scent a kitchen. Of course, citronella lamp
oil, when burned in outdoor torches, keeps away mosquitoes and other
bothersome insects so you and your guests can enjoy the night air.

You are abslutely correct. Mea Culpa. And here Ive been burning
kerosene in my lamps years.

Gunner

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

No big deal, I mean it isn't bad enough to make you live in Obamas house
for a week ;-)

I have used kero in a few outdoor lamps. Indoor however it just stinks
up the place.

--
Steve W.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch wrote:
... Lamp oil should be kept at or near room
temperature, not in a garage or shed where it could freeze. Frozen oil
may defrost too quickly, posing an explosive hazard. ...

Anybody know how it could be an "explosive hazard"? Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Richard J Kinch wrote:
[...]

The "lamp oil" can be kerosene - but is usually de-odorized kerosene
or some other mix that doesn't stink nearly as bad, and doesn't soot
up the chimneys nearly as bad either. It seams to be less "oily" -
closer to Varsol, actually, than Kerosene.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 06 Jan 2009 19:52:07 -0700, Joe Pfeiffer
wrote:

writes:

I thought that's what I said. Use coleman fuel.
REAL white gas in not coleman fuel but coleman fuel is the modern
replacement.

White gas was used to run things like washing machine engines. Coleman
fuel sucks as a motor fuel.

Do you have a cite on that? I've certainly always been under the
impression that Coleman fuel was white gas (modern? my recollection
is that Coleman started marketing their own fuel in the 1920s).

We used to be able to buy white gas from the local hardware store and
Dad used it on his first roto-tiller. Leaded gas, the only alternative
at the time, caused the valves to stick.

But... lead is there as a lubricant...

White gas was used in the old pump type blowtorches too.
Coleman fuel works just fine for them today.

I'd expect that.

Lead is there as a seat lubricant - not a guide lubricant. It is to
prevent the valve head from welding to the valve seat and tearing out
tiny peices of the seat. Stellite or induction hardened seats don't
need lead - and the excessive lead in 100LL aircraft fuel causes
"morning sickness" in many engines desighned for the old 87 octane
avgas.

An engine designed for leaded gas has no reliability problems if
leaded fuel is used even 1/50th of the time.
A gallon of 100LL in 15 gallons of lead free every 10-20 tanks is
adequate.

Coleman started bottling their own fuel at about the same time that
"ethyl" gas became standard, because "ethyl" or leaded gas was
detrimental to their products.
Coleman fuel has changed its composition several times in the ensuing
years.
I have tried using it in a lawnmower engine and it didn't run worth a
crap..
I have an old 4 stroke Iron Horse washing machine engine that used to
be run on white gas almost exclusively
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 07 Jan 2009 00:50:26 -0600, Richard J Kinch
wrote:

REAL white gas in not coleman fuel but coleman fuel is the modern
replacement.

I don't know how you define "real" here, but Coleman fuel is the same run
of petroleum distillate that was sold as "white gas" in olden days.

The problem with it as a motor fuel is the low octane rating from lack of
antiknock additives.

Not entirely.
Coleman fuel has reformulated over the years and a 5:1 CR engine
doesn't need a heck of a lot of octane to run - particularly under no
load.. The same engine ran well on the old "white gas" and runs well
on today's motor fuel.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 07 Jan 2009 11:59:12 -0500, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:
... Lamp oil should be kept at or near room
temperature, not in a garage or shed where it could freeze. Frozen oil
may defrost too quickly, posing an explosive hazard. ...

Anybody know how it could be an "explosive hazard"? Bob

If the "light ends" come out first they are much more flamable than
the mix. Think Butane, for instance.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Jet A works pretty well...very well actually...particularly in the
Petromax lanterns that are intended for kerosene. Just make sure its
not the Winter Mix with gasoline in it. Shrug

Gunner

Guys in the lantern group also said Jet A works well in the Petromax
lanterns. No distinction was made about their winter blend though.
The Petromax lanterns are a little hard to get going in cold weather
and I did an experiment a couple of years ago where I mixed about 10%
Coleman fuel with the kerosene. It made the lanterns easier to light,
particularly the rapid heater in freezing weather. A higher
percentage of Coleman fuel probably wouldn't hurt anything. You can
actually burn gasoline in the Petromax lanterns, but it's not
recommended because of undetected leaks leading to explosions - pretty
uncommon, but reported.

RWL