Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joe Pfeiffer Joe Pfeiffer is offline

Default White gas?

writes:

I thought that's what I said. Use coleman fuel.
REAL white gas in not coleman fuel but coleman fuel is the modern
replacement.

White gas was used to run things like washing machine engines. Coleman
fuel sucks as a motor fuel.

Do you have a cite on that? I've certainly always been under the
impression that Coleman fuel was white gas (modern? my recollection
is that Coleman started marketing their own fuel in the 1920s).

We used to be able to buy white gas from the local hardware store and
Dad used it on his first roto-tiller. Leaded gas, the only alternative
at the time, caused the valves to stick.

But... lead is there as a lubricant...

White gas was used in the old pump type blowtorches too.
Coleman fuel works just fine for them today.

I'd expect that.