Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Reassembling one shot oiler tubing

I took the table and saddle apart on my (new to me) Bridgeport to give
them a good cleaning and had to pull out the two tubes feeding oil to
the nuts for the table and saddle screws in order to do the
disassembly.

Tomorrow or Sunday I'll have everything cleaned up enough to do the
reassembly. If I just put the tubes back in the holes for the two
nuts will they stay put and not leak, or do they need some sort of
glue or sealant? Is there any secret to this part of the reassembly?

TIA

RWL

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

GeoLane at PTD dot NET wrote:
I took the table and saddle apart on my (new to me) Bridgeport to give
them a good cleaning and had to pull out the two tubes feeding oil to
the nuts for the table and saddle screws in order to do the
disassembly.

Tomorrow or Sunday I'll have everything cleaned up enough to do the
reassembly. If I just put the tubes back in the holes for the two
nuts will they stay put and not leak, or do they need some sort of
glue or sealant? Is there any secret to this part of the reassembly?

TIA

RWL

I would recommend cleaning out all the lines and checking to make sure
the metering fittings are working properly. Also it is a worthwhile
idea to clean the filter on the oil tank. You have to take the top off
the tank and on the bottom side of the pump there is a screen and
filter. I can't remember if the metering fittings are mounted on a
distribution rail or mounted separately but you have to check for proper
flow.

There are two types of metering fittings, continious flow and a one shot
type. The continious flow has a screen in it and a limiting port
opening. The one shot has a piston, spring and filter. The fitting is
stamped as to the quantity of oil it delivers per shot. The one shot
happens when the line is pressurized to 50 lb. or so. The piston is
pushed forward and delivers the drop of oil. By pressurizing the whold
system all the metering fittings get oil and each will deliver the
amount equivilent to the stamped numbers on its side.

John

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

GeoLane at PTD dot NET wrote:

Tomorrow or Sunday I'll have everything cleaned up enough to do the
reassembly. If I just put the tubes back in the holes for the two
nuts will they stay put and not leak, or do they need some sort of
glue or sealant? Is there any secret to this part of the reassembly?

RWL

On Fri, 02 Jan 2009 19:39:00 -0500, john
wrote:

I would recommend cleaning out all the lines and checking to make sure
the metering fittings are working properly.

Yup. Did that. I used a needle and syringe and pumped kero through
each line to get rid of any crud that might have been in there, and
confirmed that each line was working. When I took it apart I noticed
that one line wasn't delivering oil - the outlet hole and the oil
groove it fed was filled with sticky grease-like crud. I blew air
through each metering filter to be sure it was open.

Also it is a worthwhile
idea to clean the filter on the oil tank. You have to take the top off
the tank and on the bottom side of the pump there is a screen and
filter.

Thanks. I didn't know about a filter in the tank.

I can't remember if the metering fittings are mounted on a
distribution rail or mounted separately but you have to check for proper
flow.

Mounted on a distribution rail on the saddle just under the table.

The one shot has a piston, spring and filter. The fitting is
stamped as to the quantity of oil it delivers per shot.

John

I remember seeing "1" stamped in all / most of the metering fittings
going to the table / saddle / nuts.

Thanks,

RWL

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

here are a couple of sites with some info on the metering fittings:

http://www.oemsurplus911.com/hyd_a-d/bijur.htm

This site shows the fittings and describes the types and what the
stamped numbers on the side mean.

make sure the little arrow on the fitting is going in the right
direction as to oil flow. on a metered fitting you will need a pump
to check it out since the piston plunger allows only one drop of oil to
come out for each time you put pressure to it.

John