Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default 304 stainless, and brass, in shower

A friend of mine had a shower head fail. That head was made of two
parts -- top and bottom -- fastened together using a small copper
strap. That strap failed and the head opened up and was spraying water
all over the place from that opening.

(in case if anyone remembers, I had the same exact problem with my own
shower, which was actually identical because that friend and my wife
decided to buy the same kind of shower).

In any case, I fixed her shower head, by drilling and countersinking
and tapping four holes around the perimeter, and screwing in flat head
screws made of 304 stainless. The end result was relatively nice
looking.

The shower head is made of chrome plated brass and the screws are made
from 304 stainless. After some thinking, I decided to double check and
see whether there is any downside to having that stuff together, such
as galvanic corrosion. I do not anticipate a need to take that head
apart.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus8783 wrote:
[...]

This is an extremely dangerous setup. The stainless steel will react with
the brass and chome and minerals in the water and make a high explosive
that can be very sensitive when dry.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-01-02, Cydrome Leader wrote:
Ignoramus8783 wrote:
[...]

Just for your information, most people shower daily, and for them,
there is no risk of that high explosive compound to form in their dry
showers.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-01-02, Cydrome Leader wrote:
Ignoramus8783 wrote:
A friend of mine had a shower head fail. That head was made of two
parts -- top and bottom -- fastened together using a small copper
strap. That strap failed and the head opened up and was spraying water
all over the place from that opening.

(in case if anyone remembers, I had the same exact problem with my own
shower, which was actually identical because that friend and my wife
decided to buy the same kind of shower).

In any case, I fixed her shower head, by drilling and countersinking
and tapping four holes around the perimeter, and screwing in flat head
screws made of 304 stainless. The end result was relatively nice

Snip

This is an extremely dangerous setup. The stainless steel will react with
the brass and chome and minerals in the water and make a high explosive
that can be very sensitive when dry.

Just for your information, most people shower daily, and for them,
there is no risk of that high explosive compound to form in their dry
showers.

High explosive compound! I'ne spent 35 years in the food and beverage
industry, and often used brass and stainless fittings on non-product
pipelines.. I have no idea what explosive compound could be formed,but the
chances of it causing an explosion are anout the same as winning Lotto first
division thee weeks in a row!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-01-02, Cydrome Leader wrote:
Ignoramus8783 wrote:
[...]

We were both joking.

Nice to hear about your experience, this means I have nothing to worry
about.
posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus8783 wrote:
On 2009-01-02, Cydrome Leader wrote:
Ignoramus8783 wrote:
[...]

So you know all this, but can't figure out of you can use a stainless
steel screw near brass and potable water?

Since it's just a matter of time before you ask how to tie your shoes,
here's a link now:

http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/standardknot.htm

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

May seem funny, CL, but I never learned that way. Being a southpaw,
right-handed teachers had no clue how to teach left handers to tie laces
like that.

I think my mom got frustrated trying to figure it out, anyways, I just tie
laces like tying a bunnie's ears together.

I saw Larry commented on shoe bows a while ago, saying something negative
(IIRC) about folks who's shoe bows go up 'n down, instead of across the
foot. I never put too much importance on the method, it just never mattered
enough to me whether my laces looked like others.

If I were to try doing them the other way now, it might be difficult, maybe
knot.

--
WB
metalworking projects

"Cydrome Leader" wrote in message

So you know all this, but can't figure out of you can use a stainless
steel screw near brass and potable water?

Since it's just a matter of time before you ask how to tie your shoes,
here's a link now:

http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/standardknot.htm

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 2 Jan 2009 18:45:55 -0500, the infamous "Wild_Bill"
scrawled the following:

May seem funny, CL, but I never learned that way. Being a southpaw,
right-handed teachers had no clue how to teach left handers to tie laces
like that.

I think my mom got frustrated trying to figure it out, anyways, I just tie
laces like tying a bunnie's ears together.

I saw Larry commented on shoe bows a while ago, saying something negative
(IIRC) about folks who's shoe bows go up 'n down, instead of across the
foot. I never put too much importance on the method, it just never mattered
enough to me whether my laces looked like others.

If I were to try doing them the other way now, it might be difficult, maybe
knot.

I commented that I had been tying my shoelaces wrong all those years
and hadn't even realized it.

--LJ, head of the Rogue Valley Granny Knotters.

------
We're born hungry, wet, 'n naked, and it gets worse from there.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wild_Bill wrote:
May seem funny, CL, but I never learned that way. Being a southpaw,
right-handed teachers had no clue how to teach left handers to tie laces
like that.

I think my mom got frustrated trying to figure it out, anyways, I just tie
laces like tying a bunnie's ears together.

I was taught that way- with two loops at first. It was supposed to be
easier, not sure how though. Making two loops then tying that up seems way
harder.

Then of couse, I've tried using left hand scissors, and it didn't work.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 2 Jan 2009 23:19:47 +0000 (UTC), Cydrome Leader

Ignoramus8783 wrote:
On 2009-01-02, Cydrome Leader wrote:
Ignoramus8783 wrote:
[...]

This is a reef knot with standing bights. OK for laces on dress
oxfords and ballet slippers, doesn't hold with rawhide laces.

However, The Ashley Book Of Knots may be illegal in Illinois.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 02 Jan 2009 15:12:14 -0600, the infamous Ignoramus8783
scrawled the following:

On 2009-01-02, Cydrome Leader wrote:
Ignoramus8783 wrote:
[...]

The moral of the story is "Shower _daily_ or DIE, scumbag!"

------
We're born hungry, wet, 'n naked, and it gets worse from there.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 2 Jan 2009 21:01:01 +0000 (UTC), Cydrome Leader
wrote:

Ignoramus8783 wrote:
[...]

Indeed! Trichromium Hexadexaquafloride.

But its only really sensitive to nutrinos.

If it gets hit with more than 3*4th in a nanosecond...it goes into a
sort of epileptic fit and tries to be in two places at the same time.
And since two things cannot occuply the same space at the same time...it
generates antimatter...and we all know what happens when THAT happens...

Brrrrrrr!! Crater City!

Gunner

"Upon Roosevelt's death in 1945, H. L. Mencken predicted in his diary
that Roosevelt would be remembered as a great president, "maybe even
alongside Washington and Lincoln," opining that Roosevelt "had every
quality that morons esteem in their heroes.""
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Ignoramus8783 wrote:
[...]

Ahh! The high nutrino fluxis the cause. That explains why I've never
experienced it. All our plants were shielded with Nutroshield

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 4 Jan 2009 09:26:16 +1100, "Grumpy"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Ignoramus8783 wrote:
[...]

shower stall soap scum is a natural nutrino moderator. Which is why you
seldom hear about such explosions, and the few are are usually
atribbuted to gang land hits, propane explosions, and beer and cabbage
farts gone awry.

Gunner

"Upon Roosevelt's death in 1945, H. L. Mencken predicted in his diary
that Roosevelt would be remembered as a great president, "maybe even
alongside Washington and Lincoln," opining that Roosevelt "had every
quality that morons esteem in their heroes.""
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 2, 4:01*pm, Cydrome Leader wrote:

This is an extremely dangerous setup. The stainless steel will react with
the brass and chome and minerals in the water and make a high explosive
that can be very sensitive when dry.

You should look into filters to remove the ammonia and acetylene
contamination from your water.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copper(I)_acetylide

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Wilkins wrote:
On Jan 2, 4:01?pm, Cydrome Leader wrote:

This is an extremely dangerous setup. The stainless steel will react with
the brass and chome and minerals in the water and make a high explosive
that can be very sensitive when dry.

You should look into filters to remove the ammonia and acetylene
contamination from your water.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copper(I)_acetylide

So this is the reason copper + acetylene = bad, or is they yet another way copper
reacts with acetylene?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Not unless it's a sal****er shower.

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

This is maybe a little overkill for the shower head question at hand...
but you can download a free copy of this excellent pdf covering pretty
much any and everything you ever wanted to know about corrosion,
corrosion control & dissimilar metal contact:

http://www.faa.gov/library/manuals/a...dia/FAA-8083-3
0_Ch06.pdf

Sorry for the long link, you may need to copy & paste a little.

Erik

PS, Free!...well not really, you've in fact already paid for it. This is
a good one to save somewhere. The FAA has a bunch of other other manuals
available on their site as well.