DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   304 stainless, and brass, in shower (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/267992-304-stainless-brass-shower.html)

Ignoramus8783 January 2nd 09 07:38 PM

304 stainless, and brass, in shower

A friend of mine had a shower head fail. That head was made of two
parts -- top and bottom -- fastened together using a small copper
strap. That strap failed and the head opened up and was spraying water
all over the place from that opening.

(in case if anyone remembers, I had the same exact problem with my own
shower, which was actually identical because that friend and my wife
decided to buy the same kind of shower).

In any case, I fixed her shower head, by drilling and countersinking
and tapping four holes around the perimeter, and screwing in flat head
screws made of 304 stainless. The end result was relatively nice
looking.

The shower head is made of chrome plated brass and the screws are made
from 304 stainless. After some thinking, I decided to double check and
see whether there is any downside to having that stuff together, such
as galvanic corrosion. I do not anticipate a need to take that head
apart.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/

Cydrome Leader January 2nd 09 09:01 PM

Ignoramus8783 wrote:
[...]

This is an extremely dangerous setup. The stainless steel will react with
the brass and chome and minerals in the water and make a high explosive
that can be very sensitive when dry.

Ignoramus8783 January 2nd 09 09:12 PM

On 2009-01-02, Cydrome Leader wrote:
Ignoramus8783 wrote:
[...]

Just for your information, most people shower daily, and for them,
there is no risk of that high explosive compound to form in their dry
showers.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/

Grumpy January 2nd 09 10:43 PM

On 2009-01-02, Cydrome Leader wrote:
Ignoramus8783 wrote:
A friend of mine had a shower head fail. That head was made of two
parts -- top and bottom -- fastened together using a small copper
strap. That strap failed and the head opened up and was spraying water
all over the place from that opening.

(in case if anyone remembers, I had the same exact problem with my own
shower, which was actually identical because that friend and my wife
decided to buy the same kind of shower).

In any case, I fixed her shower head, by drilling and countersinking
and tapping four holes around the perimeter, and screwing in flat head
screws made of 304 stainless. The end result was relatively nice

Snip

This is an extremely dangerous setup. The stainless steel will react with
the brass and chome and minerals in the water and make a high explosive
that can be very sensitive when dry.

Just for your information, most people shower daily, and for them,
there is no risk of that high explosive compound to form in their dry
showers.

High explosive compound! I'ne spent 35 years in the food and beverage
industry, and often used brass and stainless fittings on non-product
pipelines.. I have no idea what explosive compound could be formed,but the
chances of it causing an explosion are anout the same as winning Lotto first
division thee weeks in a row!

Ignoramus8783 January 2nd 09 11:00 PM

On 2009-01-02, Cydrome Leader wrote:
Ignoramus8783 wrote:
[...]

We were both joking.

Nice to hear about your experience, this means I have nothing to worry
about.
posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/

Cydrome Leader January 2nd 09 11:19 PM

Ignoramus8783 wrote:
On 2009-01-02, Cydrome Leader wrote:
Ignoramus8783 wrote:
[...]

So you know all this, but can't figure out of you can use a stainless
steel screw near brass and potable water?

Since it's just a matter of time before you ask how to tie your shoes,
here's a link now:

http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/standardknot.htm

Wild_Bill January 2nd 09 11:45 PM

304 stainless, and brass, in shower

May seem funny, CL, but I never learned that way. Being a southpaw,
right-handed teachers had no clue how to teach left handers to tie laces
like that.

I think my mom got frustrated trying to figure it out, anyways, I just tie
laces like tying a bunnie's ears together.

I saw Larry commented on shoe bows a while ago, saying something negative
(IIRC) about folks who's shoe bows go up 'n down, instead of across the
foot. I never put too much importance on the method, it just never mattered
enough to me whether my laces looked like others.

If I were to try doing them the other way now, it might be difficult, maybe
knot.

--
WB
metalworking projects

Larry Jaques January 3rd 09 02:48 AM

304 stainless, and brass, in shower

On Fri, 02 Jan 2009 15:12:14 -0600, the infamous Ignoramus8783
scrawled the following:

On 2009-01-02, Cydrome Leader wrote:
Ignoramus8783 wrote:
[...]

The moral of the story is "Shower _daily_ or DIE, scumbag!"

------
We're born hungry, wet, 'n naked, and it gets worse from there.

Ned Simmons January 3rd 09 03:12 AM

304 stainless, and brass, in shower

Not unless it's a sal****er shower.

--
Ned Simmons

Larry Jaques January 3rd 09 03:15 AM

304 stainless, and brass, in shower

On Fri, 2 Jan 2009 18:45:55 -0500, the infamous "Wild_Bill"
scrawled the following:

May seem funny, CL, but I never learned that way. Being a southpaw,
right-handed teachers had no clue how to teach left handers to tie laces
like that.

I think my mom got frustrated trying to figure it out, anyways, I just tie
laces like tying a bunnie's ears together.

I saw Larry commented on shoe bows a while ago, saying something negative
(IIRC) about folks who's shoe bows go up 'n down, instead of across the
foot. I never put too much importance on the method, it just never mattered
enough to me whether my laces looked like others.

If I were to try doing them the other way now, it might be difficult, maybe
knot.

I commented that I had been tying my shoelaces wrong all those years
and hadn't even realized it.

--LJ, head of the Rogue Valley Granny Knotters.

------
We're born hungry, wet, 'n naked, and it gets worse from there.

Erik[_4_] January 3rd 09 04:01 AM

304 stainless, and brass, in shower

This is maybe a little overkill for the shower head question at hand...
but you can download a free copy of this excellent pdf covering pretty
much any and everything you ever wanted to know about corrosion,
corrosion control & dissimilar metal contact:

http://www.faa.gov/library/manuals/a...dia/FAA-8083-3
0_Ch06.pdf

Sorry for the long link, you may need to copy & paste a little.

Erik

PS, Free!...well not really, you've in fact already paid for it. This is
a good one to save somewhere. The FAA has a bunch of other other manuals
available on their site as well.

Wild_Bill January 3rd 09 04:11 AM

304 stainless, and brass, in shower

A thousanths pardons, sir. Confusion in the grey soupy matter again.

Are you a lefty, or just didn't tie 'em the same?

Don Foreman January 3rd 09 05:14 AM

304 stainless, and brass, in shower

On Fri, 2 Jan 2009 23:19:47 +0000 (UTC), Cydrome Leader

Ignoramus8783 wrote:
On 2009-01-02, Cydrome Leader wrote:
Ignoramus8783 wrote:
[...]

This is a reef knot with standing bights. OK for laces on dress
oxfords and ballet slippers, doesn't hold with rawhide laces.

However, The Ashley Book Of Knots may be illegal in Illinois.

Cydrome Leader January 3rd 09 06:50 AM

Wild_Bill wrote:
May seem funny, CL, but I never learned that way. Being a southpaw,
right-handed teachers had no clue how to teach left handers to tie laces
like that.

I think my mom got frustrated trying to figure it out, anyways, I just tie
laces like tying a bunnie's ears together.

I was taught that way- with two loops at first. It was supposed to be
easier, not sure how though. Making two loops then tying that up seems way
harder.

Then of couse, I've tried using left hand scissors, and it didn't work.

Larry Jaques January 3rd 09 12:58 PM

304 stainless, and brass, in shower

On Fri, 2 Jan 2009 23:11:35 -0500, the infamous "Wild_Bill"
scrawled the following:

A thousanths pardons, sir. Confusion in the grey soupy matter again.

Are you a lefty, or just didn't tie 'em the same?

Yes, I'm correct-handed...and just don't tie 'em the same. I'd like to
have said "didn't" but haven't retrained myself yet. That's a hard
habit to break after 50+ years, y'know?

------
We're born hungry, wet, 'n naked, and it gets worse from there.

Wes[_2_] January 3rd 09 01:33 PM

Larry Jaques wrote:

If I were to try doing them the other way now, it might be difficult, maybe
knot.

I commented that I had been tying my shoelaces wrong all those years
and hadn't even realized it.

Don't feel bad Larry, I just looked at the link and slapped my forehead. DOH!

Wes

cavelamb January 3rd 09 02:25 PM

http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/twoloopknot.htm

Gunner Asch[_4_] January 3rd 09 08:52 PM

304 stainless, and brass, in shower

On Fri, 2 Jan 2009 21:01:01 +0000 (UTC), Cydrome Leader
wrote:

Ignoramus8783 wrote:
[...]

Indeed! Trichromium Hexadexaquafloride.

But its only really sensitive to nutrinos.

If it gets hit with more than 3*4th in a nanosecond...it goes into a
sort of epileptic fit and tries to be in two places at the same time.
And since two things cannot occuply the same space at the same time...it
generates antimatter...and we all know what happens when THAT happens...

Brrrrrrr!! Crater City!

Gunner

"Upon Roosevelt's death in 1945, H. L. Mencken predicted in his diary
that Roosevelt would be remembered as a great president, "maybe even
alongside Washington and Lincoln," opining that Roosevelt "had every
quality that morons esteem in their heroes.""

Grumpy January 3rd 09 10:26 PM

wrote:

Ignoramus8783 wrote:
[...]

Ahh! The high nutrino fluxis the cause. That explains why I've never
experienced it. All our plants were shielded with Nutroshield

Gunner Asch[_4_] January 3rd 09 11:48 PM

304 stainless, and brass, in shower

On Sun, 4 Jan 2009 09:26:16 +1100, "Grumpy"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Ignoramus8783 wrote:
[...]

shower stall soap scum is a natural nutrino moderator. Which is why you
seldom hear about such explosions, and the few are are usually
atribbuted to gang land hits, propane explosions, and beer and cabbage
farts gone awry.

Larry Jaques January 4th 09 04:05 AM

304 stainless, and brass, in shower

On Sat, 3 Jan 2009 22:33:33 -0500, the infamous "Wild_Bill"
scrawled the following:

Definitely agree with you, it would hardly be worth the effort now.

Ackshully, I realized something today: I started my knot backwards and
by reversing the intial crossup, I can tie square knots every time.
No big retraining lesson necessary. I'll just retie all my current
pairs of shoes and be done with it!

------
We're born hungry, wet, 'n naked, and it gets worse from there.

Wild_Bill January 4th 09 04:21 AM

304 stainless, and brass, in shower

I'd be interested to see how that works out with work boots, for someone
that doesn't have octopus genes.

Larry Jaques January 4th 09 01:42 PM

304 stainless, and brass, in shower

On Sat, 3 Jan 2009 23:21:30 -0500, the infamous "Wild_Bill"
scrawled the following:

I'd be interested to see how that works out with work boots, for someone
that doesn't have octopus genes.

I wear lo-top boots. ;) But I was talking about the knot, not the
lacing. (Y'know, the _other_ end.)

------
We're born hungry, wet, 'n naked, and it gets worse from there.

Jim Wilkins January 4th 09 02:33 PM

On Jan 2, 4:01*pm, Cydrome Leader wrote:

This is an extremely dangerous setup. The stainless steel will react with
the brass and chome and minerals in the water and make a high explosive
that can be very sensitive when dry.

You should look into filters to remove the ammonia and acetylene
contamination from your water.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copper(I)_acetylide

Gunner Asch[_4_] January 4th 09 09:36 PM

304 stainless, and brass, in shower

On Sun, 04 Jan 2009 05:42:36 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Sat, 3 Jan 2009 23:21:30 -0500, the infamous "Wild_Bill"
scrawled the following:

I'd be interested to see how that works out with work boots, for someone
that doesn't have octopus genes.

I wear lo-top boots. ;) But I was talking about the knot, not the
lacing. (Y'know, the _other_ end.)

------
We're born hungry, wet, 'n naked, and it gets worse from there.

Laces? On footwear?...hummm...brb....

Damn...of the 20 some pairs of footwear in my closet...I DO have some
with laces. A pair of Rockports and a pair of Sorrels
Id forgotten all about laces.

Damn

Cydrome Leader January 5th 09 12:44 AM

Jim Wilkins wrote:
On Jan 2, 4:01?pm, Cydrome Leader wrote:

This is an extremely dangerous setup. The stainless steel will react with
the brass and chome and minerals in the water and make a high explosive
that can be very sensitive when dry.

You should look into filters to remove the ammonia and acetylene
contamination from your water.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copper(I)_acetylide

So this is the reason copper + acetylene = bad, or is they yet another way copper
reacts with acetylene?

Larry Jaques January 5th 09 01:15 AM

304 stainless, and brass, in shower

On Sun, 04 Jan 2009 13:36:04 -0800, the infamous Gunner Asch
scrawled the following:

wrote:

On Sat, 3 Jan 2009 23:21:30 -0500, the infamous "Wild_Bill"
scrawled the following:

I'd be interested to see how that works out with work boots, for someone
that doesn't have octopus genes.

I wear lo-top boots. ;) But I was talking about the knot, not the
lacing. (Y'know, the _other_ end.)

------
We're born hungry, wet, 'n naked, and it gets worse from there.

Laces? On footwear?...hummm...brb....

Damn...of the 20 some pairs of footwear in my closet...I DO have some
with laces. A pair of Rockports and a pair of Sorrels
Id forgotten all about laces.

Damn

So you're more comfy with velcro strips and clogs, are ya, sailor?

--
Books are the compasses and telescopes and sextants and charts which other
men have prepared to help us navigate the dangerous seas of human life.

DoN. Nichols January 5th 09 05:00 AM

On 2009-01-03, Larry Jaques novalidaddress@di wrote:
On Fri, 2 Jan 2009 23:11:35 -0500, the infamous "Wild_Bill"
scrawled the following:

A thousanths pardons, sir. Confusion in the grey soupy matter again.

Are you a lefty, or just didn't tie 'em the same?

Yes, I'm correct-handed...and just don't tie 'em the same. I'd like to
have said "didn't" but haven't retrained myself yet. That's a hard
habit to break after 50+ years, y'know?

Go to pull-on boots -- cowboy or Wellingtons. I haven't tied
shoelaces in probably thirty years or so. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Don Foreman January 5th 09 06:54 AM

304 stainless, and brass, in shower

wrote:

On Sat, 3 Jan 2009 23:21:30 -0500, the infamous "Wild_Bill"
scrawled the following:

I'd be interested to see how that works out with work boots, for someone
that doesn't have octopus genes.

I wear lo-top boots. ;) But I was talking about the knot, not the
lacing. (Y'know, the _other_ end.)

------
We're born hungry, wet, 'n naked, and it gets worse from there.

Laces? On footwear?...hummm...brb....

Damn...of the 20 some pairs of footwear in my closet...I DO have some
with laces. A pair of Rockports and a pair of Sorrels
Id forgotten all about laces.

Damn

So you're more comfy with velcro strips and clogs, are ya, sailor?

Spike heels tend not to have laces doncha know.

Hang on to those Sorels, Gunner, they don't make those anymore and I
know of no better cold-weather footwear. Froze toze is no fun at all.

Gunner Asch[_4_] January 5th 09 07:57 AM

wrote:

On Sat, 3 Jan 2009 23:21:30 -0500, the infamous "Wild_Bill"
scrawled the following:

I'd be interested to see how that works out with work boots, for someone
that doesn't have octopus genes.

I wear lo-top boots. ;) But I was talking about the knot, not the
lacing. (Y'know, the _other_ end.)

------
We're born hungry, wet, 'n naked, and it gets worse from there.

Laces? On footwear?...hummm...brb....

Damn...of the 20 some pairs of footwear in my closet...I DO have some
with laces. A pair of Rockports and a pair of Sorrels
Id forgotten all about laces.

Damn

So you're more comfy with velcro strips and clogs, are ya, sailor?

Of course, but only if made by Justin or Tony Llama, or Niconna, or even
Redwing.

Gunner Asch[_4_] January 5th 09 07:58 AM

On 2009-01-03, Larry Jaques novalidaddress@di wrote:
On Fri, 2 Jan 2009 23:11:35 -0500, the infamous "Wild_Bill"
scrawled the following:

A thousanths pardons, sir. Confusion in the grey soupy matter again.

Are you a lefty, or just didn't tie 'em the same?

Yes, I'm correct-handed...and just don't tie 'em the same. I'd like to
have said "didn't" but haven't retrained myself yet. That's a hard
habit to break after 50+ years, y'know?

Go to pull-on boots -- cowboy or Wellingtons. I haven't tied
shoelaces in probably thirty years or so. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

Ayup. And with lace ups, its really hard to wear an ankle holster.

Gunner Asch[_4_] January 5th 09 11:58 AM

304 stainless, and brass, in shower

wrote:

[...]

Ive been wearing them, a knit cap and my Carhart insulated coverals for
the past 3 weeks. Ive been working in the shop and on the grounds, its
been in the high 30s, low 40sF.

And besides..spiked heels tend to sink in the mud and make one fall over
backwards.....

chuckle

Gunner, who admits to wearing panty hose many times. Best way to keep
the leeches from grabbing on.

Larry Jaques January 5th 09 01:16 PM

304 stainless, and brass, in shower

On Mon, 05 Jan 2009 00:54:58 -0600, the infamous Don Foreman
scrawled the following:

wrote:

On Sat, 3 Jan 2009 23:21:30 -0500, the infamous "Wild_Bill"
scrawled the following:

I'd be interested to see how that works out with work boots, for someone
that doesn't have octopus genes.

I wear lo-top boots. ;) But I was talking about the knot, not the
lacing. (Y'know, the _other_ end.)

------
We're born hungry, wet, 'n naked, and it gets worse from there.

Laces? On footwear?...hummm...brb....

Damn...of the 20 some pairs of footwear in my closet...I DO have some
with laces. A pair of Rockports and a pair of Sorrels
Id forgotten all about laces.

Damn

So you're more comfy with velcro strips and clogs, are ya, sailor?

Spike heels tend not to have laces doncha know.

Oh, baby! He's further gone than I thought. ;)

Hang on to those Sorels, Gunner, they don't make those anymore and I
know of no better cold-weather footwear. Froze toze is no fun at all.

I didn't check, but now I see what you guys are talking about. It
appears that they're alive and well, Don. Is G-mon wearing Joan of
Arctic boots, I wonder? http://www.sorel.com/

Larry Jaques January 5th 09 01:21 PM

304 stainless, and brass, in shower

On Mon, 05 Jan 2009 03:58:41 -0800, the infamous Gunner Asch
scrawled the following:

wrote:

Spike heels tend not to have laces doncha know.

Hang on to those Sorels, Gunner, they don't make those anymore and I
know of no better cold-weather footwear. Froze toze is no fun at all.

Ive been wearing them, a knit cap and my Carhart insulated coverals for
the past 3 weeks. Ive been working in the shop and on the grounds, its
been in the high 30s, low 40sF.

I don't blame you. It was 24F here yesterday. My BBQ (Flat iron
steak, rice, mushrooms, green beans) was done in gloves and hoodie.
Frigid work (all 4 minutes of it) and yummy outcome.

And besides..spiked heels tend to sink in the mud and make one fall over
backwards.....

....into the mud. No fun, wot?

Gunner, who admits to wearing panty hose many times. Best way to keep
the leeches from grabbing on.

Would those be the desert leeches or the more vigorous mountain
leeches, G-mon? Inquiring minds want to know.

Larry Jaques January 5th 09 01:33 PM

304 stainless, and brass, in shower

On Sun, 04 Jan 2009 23:58:12 -0800, the infamous Gunner Asch
scrawled the following:

On 2009-01-03, Larry Jaques novalidaddress@di wrote:
On Fri, 2 Jan 2009 23:11:35 -0500, the infamous "Wild_Bill"
scrawled the following:

A thousanths pardons, sir. Confusion in the grey soupy matter again.

Are you a lefty, or just didn't tie 'em the same?

Yes, I'm correct-handed...and just don't tie 'em the same. I'd like to
have said "didn't" but haven't retrained myself yet. That's a hard
habit to break after 50+ years, y'know?

Go to pull-on boots -- cowboy or Wellingtons. I haven't tied
shoelaces in probably thirty years or so. :-)

I walk a lot and high-top boots don't really lend themselves to doing
that. Low-tops work better for me and I don't need to unlace, just
untie and open a bit. I paid a whopping $20 for my last pair and they
turned out so comfy [good arch, big lugs for traction, well padded,
flexible sole (no steel shank), eyeleted for loose lacing/easy action]
that I immediately went back for another pair, turning in a pair of
HiTecs which didn't fit after all. After a year of wear, they hardly
look broken in.

Outdoor Gear Trail Crest II, Style 1055. Coupled with Costco Merino
wool socks (4pr/$10), I could be in them for 72 hours straight and be
none the worse for wear.

Ayup. And with lace ups, its really hard to wear an ankle holster.

That is so true! giggle I don't think I could wear one anyway. My
feet tend to pass each other quite closely and I'd probably skin my
other leg with it on each pass. If nothing else, it'd be too visible.
I'm not bowlegged like some Californicatin' cowboys I know. ;)

John Husvar January 5th 09 01:56 PM

304 stainless, and brass, in shower

In article ,
Larry Jaques wrote:

Gunner, who admits to wearing panty hose many times. Best way to keep
the leeches from grabbing on.

Seconded on the pantyhose; they make getting into and out of a wetsuit
much easier too! They're especially useful when doing search and
recovery in a swamp and you collect mud, sand, miscellaneous small
critters that bite or sting, etc. inside the suit.

The gal at the ladies accessories counter tends to look askance at you,
though, when you ask how to fit yourself -- and you're a man.

Would those be the desert leeches or the more vigorous mountain
leeches, G-mon? Inquiring minds want to know.

Neither of those is especially dangerous. I want something to keep
Beltway ******* Leeches away. Now those are dangerous!

Gunner Asch[_4_] January 5th 09 07:11 PM

304 stainless, and brass, in shower

wrote:

[...]

southeast asian leeches. the kind that when you drop trou, you find a
couple dozen hanging from your legs, thighs and private parts like gummy
worms. Panty hose kept em from getting to the skin. When laying in a
hide for hours...depending on location, they tended to get into your
clothing for a meal. Same with wading a ditch or rice paddy

I hate leeches...

Gerald Miller January 5th 09 11:47 PM

304 stainless, and brass, in shower

On Mon, 05 Jan 2009 05:16:18 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

Hang on to those Sorels, Gunner, they don't make those anymore and I
know of no better cold-weather footwear. Froze toze is no fun at all.

I didn't check, but now I see what you guys are talking about. It
appears that they're alive and well, Don. Is G-mon wearing Joan of
Arctic boots, I wonder? http://www.sorel.com/

The best protection I ever experienced was from buckskin moccasins
over three layers of home knit, heavy wool socks.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

Larry Jaques January 6th 09 12:35 AM

304 stainless, and brass, in shower

On Mon, 05 Jan 2009 08:56:34 -0500, the infamous John Husvar
scrawled the following:

In article ,
Larry Jaques wrote:

Gunner, who admits to wearing panty hose many times. Best way to keep
the leeches from grabbing on.

Seconded on the pantyhose; they make getting into and out of a wetsuit
much easier too! They're especially useful when doing search and
recovery in a swamp and you collect mud, sand, miscellaneous small
critters that bite or sting, etc. inside the suit.

The gal at the ladies accessories counter tends to look askance at you,
though, when you ask how to fit yourself -- and you're a man.

That's bound to be fun. I've got to go try that sometime soon.

Would those be the desert leeches or the more vigorous mountain
leeches, G-mon? Inquiring minds want to know.

Neither of those is especially dangerous. I want something to keep
Beltway ******* Leeches away. Now those are dangerous!

Beltway, State, County, and City ******* Leeches are all really
_expensive_ SOBs, too, huh?