Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Chevalier mill... missed

As Max Smart would say, "Missed it by THAT much!"

Got over-bid by $50. Well... looking for another one...

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:
Got over-bid by $50. ...

Lemme guess ... you bid what you thought you could steal it for, rather
than the maximum that you were willing to pay?

BTDT, but I'm learning,
Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob Engelhardt fired this volley in
:

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:
Got over-bid by $50. ...

Lemme guess ... you bid what you thought you could steal it for,

rather
than the maximum that you were willing to pay?

BTDT, but I'm learning,
Bob

No, actually; given that it needed significant repairs, I bid 1000% of
its scrap metal value. That cuts out all of the metals dealers, and
only left me competing with serious bidders who wanted it as a mill.

You can't win 'em all. But when it's a "pig in a poke" you have to
bid lower than you would if it were working equipment.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-01-02, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:
Got over-bid by $50. ...

Lemme guess ... you bid what you thought you could steal it for, rather
than the maximum that you were willing to pay?

Great approach.

BTDT, but I'm learning,
Bob

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

. 3.70...

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:
Got over-bid by $50. ...

Lemme guess ... you bid what you thought you could steal it for,

rather
than the maximum that you were willing to pay?

BTDT, but I'm learning,
Bob

No, actually; given that it needed significant repairs, I bid 1000% of
its scrap metal value. That cuts out all of the metals dealers, and
only left me competing with serious bidders who wanted it as a mill.

You can't win 'em all. But when it's a "pig in a poke" you have to
bid lower than you would if it were working equipment.

LLoyd

Good approach. The other guy might have actually "lost"!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

No, actually; given that it needed significant repairs, I bid 1000% of
its scrap metal value. That cuts out all of the metals dealers, and
only left me competing with serious bidders who wanted it as a mill.

I know the feeling. I've been in auctions when out of the whole crowd, only two people
want an item. Usually the other guy wants it more.

Are you looking at the old bridgeport mills with BOSS controls?

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes fired this volley in
:

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

No, actually; given that it needed significant repairs, I bid 1000%

of
its scrap metal value. That cuts out all of the metals dealers, and
only left me competing with serious bidders who wanted it as a mill.

I know the feeling. I've been in auctions when out of the whole
crowd, only two people want an item. Usually the other guy wants it
more.

Are you looking at the old bridgeport mills with BOSS controls?

Wes

In fact! I won a bid today on Ebay for a 22-year-old Bridgeport CNC
with the Boss-9 system. It's in service *(no repairs necessary)*,
guaranteed not to have any problems that will prevent work to 10ths,
and comes with a 7-day money-back guarantee. AND, it's only 100 miles
from my house. I pick it up Monday.

For $2600, it will cost me less than the Chevalier would have after
repairs.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

In fact! I won a bid today on Ebay for a 22-year-old Bridgeport CNC
with the Boss-9 system. It's in service *(no repairs necessary)*,
guaranteed not to have any problems that will prevent work to 10ths,
and comes with a 7-day money-back guarantee. AND, it's only 100 miles
from my house. I pick it up Monday.

For $2600, it will cost me less than the Chevalier would have after
repairs.

Sweet! I am very happy for you. Once you collect it, post a link to the bid, not before.
I hope you give us a report on moving and commissioning it. We can vicariously enjoy your
new joy.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Does that make it an SX or DX EZ trak?

Pete Stanaitis
-----------------

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:
Wes fired this volley in
:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

spaco fired this volley in news:sLudnUTL2
:

Does that make it an SX or DX EZ trak?

It's a Series I R254 CNC. Not retrofitted. This machine was CNC from
the day it hit vellum.

LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:

In fact! I won a bid today on Ebay for a 22-year-old Bridgeport CNC
with the Boss-9 system. It's in service *(no repairs necessary)*,
guaranteed not to have any problems that will prevent work to 10ths,
and comes with a 7-day money-back guarantee. AND, it's only 100 miles
from my house. I pick it up Monday.

For $2600, it will cost me less than the Chevalier would have after
repairs.

Oh my GAWWWD! You trying to cause an uptick in
suicides?
Geez, Lloyd, you ought to put a "gloat" on the
subject line to warn us!

Jon