Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Snowthrower followup

Son got a new Toro snowthrower nearly identical to mine of 20+ years.
It didn't work right, and he was hugely (and justifiably) ****ed. It
wouldn't go, the dealer really didn't seem to give a ****.

I found and downloaded some info from Toro about adjustments. Went
over with truck, prepared to haul his new machine back to the dealer,
twist his tail hard and motivate him to give a ****, but we figured
it might be easier to just fixit. That turned out to be so. Minor
adjustment had it workin' perfect in a few minutes. That used to be a
good dealer, obviously isn't anymore. Sigh. I'll leave it to Son to
decide if he wants to make Toro aware of this, nevermind what I'd do.
It's his deal, not mine. Some long-time readers of RCM might suspect
that I could become this dealer's worst nightmare. They'd be right,
but it ain't my fight.

After that I figgered well geez, maybe fixing mine wouldn't be all
that hard even in my advanced state of retired laziness. Turned out
to be so. Going for it hands dirty, I found the traction drive belt to
be in amazingly good shape but the auger/thrower drive belt was toast.
No wonder Mr. Toro couldn't pee more than a coupla feet. Also found
that the friction wheel in the traction drive was history: *no*
rubber left on thet sucker. Caught that just in time before
metal-to-metal contact chewed the **** out of the drive disc. The
friction wheel is easy to R&R, not so the disc. The trick to getting
that sucker off is the ViseGrips that look like a jar opener.

Fixing those things made it work like new. The engine is also now
working perfectly, I'm not quite sure why. The (original) spark
plug was black, indicating running rich. I did replace a very leaky
shutoff valve between gas tank and carb. Also replaced the spark plug.
Dunno, hit's a mystery. It runs happily, I'm grinning.

Turned out I didn't have much snow to throw this time, because my
neighbor came over and bladed my driveway. Windchill of about -30, he
looked like a cloth-covered lump with no skin showing on his ATV mit
blade. He does that when we get a big dump. We have super
neighbors. They say they do too, go figure.

More snow coming, we're ready for it. Mr. Toro is again able and ready
to kick ass and take names re snow.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

You must be a good dad helping his son out. But your right this is his
fight. Best you can do is helping from behind. I hate shoveling the
snow without a good machine.

AsianDoll

Since its my school semester break I have been using my free time
playing games like a href=http://www.gamestotal.com http://www.gamestotal.com
/a a href=http://uc.gamestotal.com http://uc.gamestotal.com /a
a href=http://gc.gamestotal.com http://gc.gamestotal.com /a a
href=http://3700ad.gamestotal.com http://3700ad.gamestotal.com /a
a href=http://manga.gamestotal.com http://manga.gamestotal.com /a

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 23 Dec 2008 01:04:48 -0600, Don Foreman
wrote:

Son got a new Toro snowthrower nearly identical to mine of 20+ years.
It didn't work right, and he was hugely (and justifiably) ****ed. It
wouldn't go, the dealer really didn't seem to give a ****.

snip

Last summer I bought a new/old model Electrolux Riding
Mower. Looked around a bit to find a dealer that had what I
wanted (side shift hydro control) and would sell me a unit
still in the shipping crate. I would rather just assemble it
myself, rather than have to tear it back down and then put
it back together properly. Most buyers can't tell the
difference, so the dealers have nothing to lose. Probably
spent ~50 hours getting it ready to go. Ain't no dealer
going to put that kind of time into it...

I would bet on Don Foreman prepping a new snowthrower
properly over any dealer that I know...

I hear that he does a good job fixing old ones too ;-)

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Don Foreman wrote:

After that I figgered well geez, maybe fixing mine wouldn't be all
that hard even in my advanced state of retired laziness. Turned out
to be so. Going for it hands dirty, I found the traction drive belt to
be in amazingly good shape but the auger/thrower drive belt was toast.
No wonder Mr. Toro couldn't pee more than a coupla feet. Also found
that the friction wheel in the traction drive was history: *no*
rubber left on thet sucker. Caught that just in time before
metal-to-metal contact chewed the **** out of the drive disc. The
friction wheel is easy to R&R, not so the disc. The trick to getting
that sucker off is the ViseGrips that look like a jar opener.

I figure this spring will be a good time to change the belts for the second time in 20
years. The drive puck will get a good inspection.

Using slime in my weather checked tires has been working great. I don't miss airing them
up each time I used the blower.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Same with my 23 year old Duramark - new belts and friction wheel plus
carb overhaul and I can put my snow over the hedge and almost into the
side street. I hadn't realized how "wimpy" it had become.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Gawrsh, thanks! I seem to be getting more timid as I age, perhaps
that ain't all wrong. I seem to be less eager to tackle challenges
while occasionally more able to meet them. Go figure.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Hmmmmm my (new to me) 20year old Toro snowblower (craigslist freebie!)
I looked at the wheel drive assembly, it was fine. But the throw is
wimpy. Where did you find the instructions or hints on the Toro site?

The metalworking part: I needed a quick fix to the snow problem after I
took out the connecting rod on the tractor (Kohler 301) . My winter
project is to figure out how to fixture the crankshaft to turn down the
rod journal. I got a quote of $90 at the shop, not sure I'm ready to do
that quite yet.

Don Foreman wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Assembled by union workers. What else did you expect? BTW; Did you get
time+1/2 for re-doing he work?
JR
Dweller in he cellar

Don Foreman wrote:

[...]

Dependence is Vulnerability:
"Open the Pod Bay Doors please, Hal"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 24 Dec 2008 08:46:31 -0600, RoyJ
wrote:

Hmmmmm my (new to me) 20year old Toro snowblower (craigslist freebie!)
I looked at the wheel drive assembly, it was fine. But the throw is
wimpy. Where did you find the instructions or hints on the Toro site?

http://tinyurl.com/33c46l

I downloaded: Toro/Lawn-Boy Two Stage Snowthrower Drive Systems
Manual [ English ] 52 pages Form 492-4738 It's about 20 megs.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 24 Dec 2008 09:08:57 -0800, JR North
wrote:

The part that was done wrong was done by the unskilled retail help
(hardware store clerks) at the dealer.

Don Foreman wrote:

Son got a new Toro snowthrower nearly identical to mine of 20+ years.
It didn't work right, and he was hugely (and justifiably) ****ed. It
wouldn't go, the dealer really didn't seem to give a ****.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Hmmmmm my (new to me) 20year old Toro snowblower (craigslist freebie!)
I looked at the wheel drive assembly, it was fine. But the throw is
wimpy. Where did you find the instructions or hints on the Toro site?

http://tinyurl.com/33c46l

I downloaded: Toro/Lawn-Boy Two Stage Snowthrower Drive Systems
Manual [ English ] 52 pages Form 492-4738 It's about 20 megs.

That link took me to a page to enter a model & serial number.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Hmmmmm my (new to me) 20year old Toro snowblower (craigslist freebie!)
I looked at the wheel drive assembly, it was fine. But the throw is
wimpy. Where did you find the instructions or hints on the Toro site?

http://tinyurl.com/33c46l

I downloaded: Toro/Lawn-Boy Two Stage Snowthrower Drive Systems
Manual [ English ] 52 pages Form 492-4738 It's about 20 megs.

That link took me to a page to enter a model & serial number.

I entered 38052 for model, left serial # blank. That took me to a
page listing a bunch of serial numbers. Pick one. Then click on
manuals near the bottom.

If you can accept 20 meg emails, I can email you the document. This
is for the 521 and 522 models -- 5 hp 21 or 22 inch wide, two stage.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Hmmmmm my (new to me) 20year old Toro snowblower (craigslist freebie!)
I looked at the wheel drive assembly, it was fine. But the throw is
wimpy. Where did you find the instructions or hints on the Toro site?

http://tinyurl.com/33c46l

I downloaded: Toro/Lawn-Boy Two Stage Snowthrower Drive Systems
Manual [ English ] 52 pages Form 492-4738 It's about 20 megs.

That link took me to a page to enter a model & serial number.

I entered 38052 for model, left serial # blank. That took me to a
page listing a bunch of serial numbers. Pick one. Then click on
manuals near the bottom.

If you can accept 20 meg emails, I can email you the document. This
is for the 521 and 522 models -- 5 hp 21 or 22 inch wide, two stage.

Thanks for the offer Don, but I was just curious. Not a lot of call
for snow blowers in Central Florida, just yet. I was just going to
look, since I haven't even seen a snow blower in over 20 years. 1987 I
think was the last time, but it could have been a year or two prior to
that. Snow, and my failing health is why I don't plan on ever moving
back to Ohio.

Have a blessed Christmas.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I have a 38050 which is one model earlier, Toro did not have that one on
line when I checked a couple months back. I used the 38052 model number
you listed and got a manual that is close. I was mostly looking for the
belt changing and drive adjustment instructions. I could have just
started tearing it apart but it's nice to have the minimum number of
bolts to remove.

Any idea which one might be for the Model 7/24? I doubt if there is any
difference in the manual but who knows?

wrote:

Hmmmmm my (new to me) 20year old Toro snowblower (craigslist freebie!)
I looked at the wheel drive assembly, it was fine. But the throw is
wimpy. Where did you find the instructions or hints on the Toro site?
http://tinyurl.com/33c46l

I downloaded: Toro/Lawn-Boy Two Stage Snowthrower Drive Systems
Manual [ English ] 52 pages Form 492-4738 It's about 20 megs.

That link took me to a page to enter a model & serial number.

I entered 38052 for model, left serial # blank. That took me to a
page listing a bunch of serial numbers. Pick one. Then click on
manuals near the bottom.

If you can accept 20 meg emails, I can email you the document. This
is for the 521 and 522 models -- 5 hp 21 or 22 inch wide, two stage.

Snowthrower recommendations Steve Kraus Home Repair 17 December 9th 08 01:23 PM
Plugged snowthrower Jim Home Repair 7 February 28th 08 08:42 PM
Toro S-620 Snowthrower governor Steve Kraus Home Repair 0 February 7th 08 05:44 AM
3HP snowthrower trouble. PaPaPeng Home Repair 1 March 19th 06 07:49 PM
spirit snowthrower GFRfan Home Repair 7 February 20th 04 02:58 AM