Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Question for you experts about connecting rod

This Techumseh engine I have apparently uses a 34750 rod which is
unavailable and they stopped making it in 2006. That rod was only used
in 16 of the engines I have. (The HH60 engine),

Over 100 of the HH60 engines used the 3180C rod which is made
aftermarket and very cheap. (About 17 bucks).

When I look up in a specification manual, the bore stroke and crankpin
diameters are all the same for all HH60 engines.

Question is, why would that rod not therotically work? Am I missing
something?

Specifications (HH60):

crankpin: 1.0615 - 1.0620

Stroke: 2.500

Conn rod dia crank bearing: 1.0630 - 1.0635

What do you guys think. Just tryign to learn and I am sure I am making
this too simple.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

It should work. Buy one and compare to your old one before committing.

I will say that tecumpsee is a maintenance free engine design. It should
just be thrown away when it breaks. i learned this the hard way when i
rebuilt one. Spent the cost of another engine and it didn't last 100 hours.

karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Of course you are. What is the center to center length? (Rod length) If it
is different, check the pin position in the respective pistons. These
dimensions control the piston to deck clearance (deck height). Even if they
are the same, you then have to weigh the rod or you could have a balance
issue.
Steve

"stryped" wrote in message
This Techumseh engine I have apparently uses a 34750 rod which is
unavailable and they stopped making it in 2006. That rod was only used
in 16 of the engines I have. (The HH60 engine),

Over 100 of the HH60 engines used the 3180C rod which is made
aftermarket and very cheap. (About 17 bucks).

When I look up in a specification manual, the bore stroke and crankpin
diameters are all the same for all HH60 engines.

Question is, why would that rod not therotically work? Am I missing
something?

Specifications (HH60):

crankpin: 1.0615 - 1.0620

Stroke: 2.500

Conn rod dia crank bearing: 1.0630 - 1.0635

What do you guys think. Just tryign to learn and I am sure I am making
this too simple.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 11, 9:54*am, "Karl Townsend"
wrote:
It should work. Buy one and compare to your old one before committing.

I will say that tecumpsee is a maintenance free engine design. It should
just be thrown away when it breaks. i learned this the hard way when i
rebuilt one. Spent the cost of another engine and it didn't last 100 hours.

karl

What happened to the engien the second time?

Unfortunately, the old rod journal crumbled and there is not much left.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 11, 8:04*am, stryped wrote:
This Techumseh engine I have apparently uses a 34750 rod which is
unavailable and they stopped making it in 2006. That rod was only used
in 16 of the engines I have. (The HH60 engine),

Over 100 of the HH60 engines used the 3180C rod which is made
aftermarket and very cheap. (About 17 bucks).

When I look up in a specification manual, the bore stroke and crankpin
diameters are all the same for all HH60 engines.

Question is, why would that rod not therotically work? Am I missing
something?

Specifications (HH60):

crankpin: 1.0615 - 1.0620

Stroke: 2.500

Conn rod dia crank bearing: 1.0630 - 1.0635

What do you guys think. Just tryign to learn and I am sure I am making
this too simple.

Boss thickness on both ends might be different. Thicker you might be
able to mill down, thinner, well, I don't think shims would work out
too well... Center to center distance between piston pin and crank
pin might be different, too. Stroke is irrelevant here, that's
controlled by the crank pin offset, not the rod length.

Stan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"stryped" wrote in message
This Techumseh engine I have apparently uses a 34750 rod which is
unavailable and they stopped making it in 2006. That rod was only used
in 16 of the engines I have. (The HH60 engine),

Over 100 of the HH60 engines used the 3180C rod which is made
aftermarket and very cheap. (About 17 bucks).

When I look up in a specification manual, the bore stroke and crankpin
diameters are all the same for all HH60 engines.

Question is, why would that rod not therotically work? Am I missing
something?

Specifications (HH60):

crankpin: 1.0615 - 1.0620

Stroke: 2.500

Conn rod dia crank bearing: 1.0630 - 1.0635

What do you guys think. Just tryign to learn and I am sure I am making
this too simple.

I imagine that the rods are interchangeable, but do not know. Often a
manufacturer will change material or some feature integral to a part without
changing how it fits to other parts. If a parts list is available to you,
check what if any other parts seem to only fit the same 16 engines.

Don Young

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"stryped" wrote in message
This Techumseh engine I have apparently uses a 34750 rod which is
unavailable and they stopped making it in 2006. That rod was only used
in 16 of the engines I have. (The HH60 engine),

Over 100 of the HH60 engines used the 3180C rod which is made
aftermarket and very cheap. (About 17 bucks).

When I look up in a specification manual, the bore stroke and crankpin
diameters are all the same for all HH60 engines.

snip

Does Techumseh have a customer service number, or a parts interchange
book?