Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default SPI brand drill chuck

Enco has an SPI keyless drill chuck on sale that I'm interested in:
http://tinyurl.com/5zhmgt

Anybody have any experience with SPI stuff?

Thanks,
Bob

BTW - the tinyurl was created with the FireFox plugin. Quite neat:
right click on the page that you want a tinyurl for, the popup menu has
an entry "Create TinyURL for this page". Choosing that puts the tinyurl
on your clipboard, from which you can paste it anywhere. So it's just:
right click & choose, then paste. Thanks to whoever it was that
recently suggested the plugin. Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob Engelhardt wrote:
Enco has an SPI keyless drill chuck on sale that I'm interested in:
http://tinyurl.com/5zhmgt

An **** - Enco won't allow direct access to that page. You'll have to
go to Use-enco:
http://tinyurl.com/yv9osr
& search for part 319-3110.

Sorry,
Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I have Albrecht, Rohm, and SPI keyless chucks. For me (a non-production
user), the performance of these three is too close to distinguish. The SPI
chucks are very nice for the price. People who pound on these chucks
24/7 will tell you that Albrecht is worth the money. I bought one, but
can't see a reason to buy another.

Alan

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message ...
Enco has an SPI keyless drill chuck on sale that I'm interested in:
http://tinyurl.com/5zhmgt

Anybody have any experience with SPI stuff?

Thanks,
Bob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob Engelhardt writes:

Anybody have any experience with SPI stuff?

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PMAKA=319-3110

The 3/8" version has worked well for me. The first time using it I had to
indicate a test rod and rotate the mounting on the arbor to get it centered
to a repeatable thou or two when it was new, but since then no trouble.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Richard J Kinch wrote:
The 3/8" version has worked well for me. ...

Thanks - I've ordered one. Bob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Follow up - SPI brand drill chuck

Bob Engelhardt wrote:
Enco has an SPI keyless drill chuck on sale that I'm interested in:

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INPDFF?P...MITEM=319-3110

I got the chuck today. It's nicely made & I would be pleased with it
except I can't reverse with it. The catalog says "... will not loosen
up with instant spindle stop and reverse". But I couldn't back a tap
out without it loosening. Sigh.

The catalog also says "Double the torque when used with optional spanner
wrench". Maybe it wouldn't loosen on reverse if the wrench was used.
But the wrench would only grab the sleeve - how does one hold the body?
Is a spindle lock assumed?

If the wrench would tighten it enough to hold in reverse, I would make a
wrench. But if it won't, I'm going to return it & I don't want to waste
the time making the wrench. And probably marring the sleeve while using it.

As always, your help will be greatly appreciated,
Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 26 Nov 2008 19:32:41 -0500, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

Bob Engelhardt wrote:
Enco has an SPI keyless drill chuck on sale that I'm interested in:

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INPDFF?P...MITEM=319-3110

I got the chuck today. It's nicely made & I would be pleased with it
except I can't reverse with it. The catalog says "... will not loosen
up with instant spindle stop and reverse". But I couldn't back a tap
out without it loosening. Sigh.

If an Albrecht releases too easily it's usually a symptom of improper
lubrication. Following the procedure below generally fixes the
problem, but you shouldn't have to go thru that with a new chuck.

Note the caution about where *not* to lube.
http://www.albrechtchucks.com/tech_i...nformation.cfm

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ned Simmons wrote:

If an Albrecht releases too easily it's usually a symptom of improper
lubrication. Following the procedure below generally fixes the
problem, but you shouldn't have to go thru that with a new chuck.

I agree that I shouldn't have to do that with a new chuck. Especially
if there's a chance that I'll be returning it. But it's good to know &
I've made a copy of the page.

Thanks,
Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Follow up Follow up - SPI brand drill chuck

Bob Engelhardt wrote:
If the wrench would tighten it enough to hold in reverse, I would make a
wrench. But if it won't, I'm going to return it & I don't want to waste
the time making the wrench. And probably marring the sleeve while using
it.

I emailed ENCO support & got the answer that "The spanner wrench would
lock it." $10.45 + shipping. I'll make my own - that'll be faster as
well as cheaper.

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 28 Nov 2008 10:52:30 -0500, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

Bob Engelhardt wrote:
If the wrench would tighten it enough to hold in reverse, I would make a
wrench. But if it won't, I'm going to return it & I don't want to waste
the time making the wrench. And probably marring the sleeve while using
it.

I emailed ENCO support & got the answer that "The spanner wrench would
lock it." $10.45 + shipping. I'll make my own - that'll be faster as
well as cheaper.

But that sacrifices a big advantage of the keyless chuck -- that it's
not necessary to use a tool to operate it.

--
Ned Simmons

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ned Simmons wrote:
On Fri, 28 Nov 2008 10:52:30 -0500, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:
... "The spanner wrench would
lock it." ...

But that sacrifices a big advantage of the keyless chuck -- that it's
not necessary to use a tool to operate it.

This is only when I need to run in reverse. E.g., backing out a tap.
Hand tightening works very well for forward drilling.

Bob

drill chuck Max Woodworking 0 November 16th 06 11:04 PM
4 jaw drill chuck? Jeff Metalworking 2 August 4th 05 10:42 PM
Drill Chuck / Lathe Chuck - Drill Press Question [email protected] Metalworking 2 April 29th 05 01:07 AM
Need help in removing drill chuck from Sears Reversible Variable Speed Hand Drill Roger Hull Metalworking 10 January 22nd 05 10:48 AM
help with drill chuck SamTheCat Woodworking 7 March 29th 04 06:35 PM