Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dan dan is offline

Default dumb ass welding

After I thought I'd seen everything, now this:
http://www.unknownhighway.com/images...wtruckjack.jpg
--

Dan H.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

dan wrote:
After I thought I'd seen everything, now this:
http://www.unknownhighway.com/images...wtruckjack.jpg

Don't be talking about those "po-boy" jack stands! ;-)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Al Patrick wrote:
dan wrote:

After I thought I'd seen everything, now this:
http://www.unknownhighway.com/images...wtruckjack.jpg

Don't be talking about those "po-boy" jack stands! ;-)

At least he has two stands :-).

A friend sent me this. The forklift picture (part way down) is a classic:
http://www.mythic-beasts.com/~cdt22/Safety_at_Work.pps

Chris

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Christopher Tidy wrote:

A friend sent me this. The forklift picture (part way down) is a classic:
http://www.mythic-beasts.com/~cdt22/Safety_at_Work.pps

Chris

Everyone needs to see those.

Did you notice how light the front end was on the bottom forklift? Assuming the camera
was held squarely, as it seemed to be, the front end appeared to be a good bit higher!

I once worked for a fellow who could have readily participated in either of the two
extension ladder setups. Don't know if he'd go for the aluminum ladder in water or
not....but probably would as long as it was someone else on it. He once wanted to get on
top of a building....or wanted one of his co-workers to get on the building. No ladder
was long enough. He suggested setting the step ladder on top of a van and then putting an
extension ladder on top of the step ladder. I suspect he was serious! :-(

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 15 Nov 2008 00:27:34 +0000, the infamous Christopher Tidy
scrawled the following:

Al Patrick wrote:
dan wrote:

After I thought I'd seen everything, now this:
http://www.unknownhighway.com/images...wtruckjack.jpg

Don't be talking about those "po-boy" jack stands! ;-)

At least he has two stands :-).

A friend sent me this. The forklift picture (part way down) is a classic:
http://www.mythic-beasts.com/~cdt22/Safety_at_Work.pps

Two stands to arc weld his gas tank. Safety First!

--
If we all did the things we are capable of doing,
we would literally astound ourselves.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

(dan) wrote:

After I thought I'd seen everything, now this:
http://www.unknownhighway.com/images...wtruckjack.jpg

Two supports, I wonder what the compressive loads are on those two timbers? I personally
don't want to crawl under that with him but more than half the weight of the truck is on
the two wheels in contact with the road. Just guessing but the remaining weight is around
1000# or 500# per timber. When my steel roof sheds snow, I bet my deck's loading is
higher per support post.

I bet a miner acustomed to timber supports would look on that as fairly safe.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Al Patrick wrote:
Christopher Tidy wrote:

[...]

There was a video on YouTube a few months ago of guys demolishing a
tower block in Beijing. They had a digger on top and were pushing bits
of concrete over the side. Every so often a bit of concrete would remain
attached to the steel reinforcement and stay hanging in the air. At that
point a guy would go over the edge of the building standing on the side
of the digger's hydraulic breaker. When he got down to the
reinforcement, the other guys passed down an oxy-acetylene torch, which
he lit and cut through the reinforcement. Then they brought him back up
again. There were dozens of ways in which it could have turned nasty.

That was just before the Olympics. The video has now disappeared from
YouTube, apparently "due to a copyright claim by a third party". Despite
the fact that the guy who posted the video said he filmed it from his
apartment window. Crazy Chinese secret police at work, I guess.

Best wishes,

Chris

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-11-16, Wes wrote:
(dan) wrote:

After I thought I'd seen everything, now this:
http://www.unknownhighway.com/images...wtruckjack.jpg

Two supports, I wonder what the compressive loads are on those two timbers? I personally
don't want to crawl under that with him but more than half the weight of the truck is on
the two wheels in contact with the road. Just guessing but the remaining weight is around
1000# or 500# per timber. When my steel roof sheds snow, I bet my deck's loading is
higher per support post.

I bet a miner acustomed to timber supports would look on that as fairly safe.

I think that they could easily survive the compressive load, but they
are very likely to slip.
posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-11-16, Wes wrote:
(dan) wrote:

After I thought I'd seen everything, now this:
http://www.unknownhighway.com/images...wtruckjack.jpg

Two supports, I wonder what the compressive loads are on those two timbers?

I personally
don't want to crawl under that with him but more than half the weight of the

truck is on
the two wheels in contact with the road. Just guessing but the remaining

weight is around
1000# or 500# per timber. When my steel roof sheds snow, I bet my deck's

higher per support post.

I bet a miner acustomed to timber supports would look on that as fairly safe.

I think that they could easily survive the compressive load, but they
are very likely to slip.

Particularly if the guy sets his pants on fire & backs up suddenly into
the one behind him.

Doug White
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"dan" wrote in message

After I thought I'd seen everything, now this:
http://www.unknownhighway.com/images...wtruckjack.jpg
--

Dan H.

what is he not wearing a helmet? I cant see LOL

a relatively dumb question i'm sure... unclescrooge Woodworking 32 July 4th 08 02:41 PM
Dumb question? anthony Home Repair 14 April 5th 07 04:04 PM
dumb luck wallster Metalworking 38 May 26th 05 06:16 PM
Dumb question [email protected] Home Repair 7 April 5th 05 04:18 PM
Welding Aluminum (WAS: Welding Magnesium) tony Metalworking 5 November 7th 03 01:21 AM