Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Doug White Doug White is offline

Default dumb ass welding

In article , Ignoramus4582 wrote:
On 2008-11-16, Wes wrote:
(dan) wrote:

After I thought I'd seen everything, now this:
http://www.unknownhighway.com/images...wtruckjack.jpg

Two supports, I wonder what the compressive loads are on those two timbers?

I personally
don't want to crawl under that with him but more than half the weight of the

truck is on
the two wheels in contact with the road. Just guessing but the remaining

weight is around
1000# or 500# per timber. When my steel roof sheds snow, I bet my deck's

higher per support post.

I bet a miner acustomed to timber supports would look on that as fairly safe.

I think that they could easily survive the compressive load, but they
are very likely to slip.

Particularly if the guy sets his pants on fire & backs up suddenly into
the one behind him.

Doug White