Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default mystry lathe

I went to pick up an engine for my bandmill project and the guy had a 13"
lathe (very old he thought pre 20's) that he offered to sell for scrap. The
only tag on it says Globe manufacturing, no serial #s on the ways or
anywhere I could see. Everything moves, no rust, lots of dirt, no tooling
but a 3 jaw chuck. I googled Globe and found nothing but a reference to a
milling attachment. It looks very similar to an early southbend the gear
cover and the apron are identical to some pictures I found but there's no
reference to southbend on the machine that I could find.

Anybody seen/ have one like it? For what he wanted it could easily follow me
home

Andrew

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 11, 4:15*pm, "AndrewV"
wrote:
I went to pick up an engine for my bandmill project and the guy had a 13"
lathe (very old he thought pre 20's) that he offered to sell for scrap. The
only tag on it says Globe manufacturing, no serial #s on the ways or
anywhere I could see....

Anybody seen/ have one like it? For what he wanted it could easily follow me
home

Andrew

It isn't even mentioned here;
http://www.lathes.co.uk/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Anybody seen/ have one like it? For what he wanted it could easily follow
me home

There's a real good chance the headstock has babbit bearings. If they are
worn out, the lathe is useless till you rebabbit. DAMHIKT. You can check for
this by bringing a 2x4 along. Wedge it under the chuck and lift, if it moves
up enough that you can see it move (.020"?), you're in for this repair.
More trouble than its worth.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message
On Nov 11, 4:15 pm, "AndrewV"
wrote:
I went to pick up an engine for my bandmill project and the guy had a 13"
lathe (very old he thought pre 20's) that he offered to sell for scrap.
The
only tag on it says Globe manufacturing, no serial #s on the ways or
anywhere I could see....

Anybody seen/ have one like it? For what he wanted it could easily follow
me
home

Andrew

It isn't even mentioned here;
http://www.lathes.co.uk/

Before the Depression there were over 100, maybe 200 lathe makers in the US.
That list doesn't begin to scratch the surface. It doesn't list my 1917
Taylor & Finn knee mill, either.

I suspect that the only place where you'll find complete lists of US-built
machines is in the archives of _American Machinist_. Even there, they
probably missed some.

Those archives, BTW, may only exist at the National Library of Congress
today, in microfilm and microform. There were two other sets when I was at
_AM_, and I know that one got broken up; the other *might* be at _AM's_
newer offices in Cleveland. Maybe.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

AndrewV wrote:

Anybody seen/ have one like it? For what he wanted it could easily follow me
home

Andrew

I thought you were going to tell us it *did* follow you home! :-(

I'd have bought it for scrap simply because scrap will be going back up - in case the
other reason didn't work out. :-)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"AndrewV" wrote in message
I went to pick up an engine for my bandmill project and the guy had a 13"
lathe (very old he thought pre 20's) that he offered to sell for scrap. The
only tag on it says Globe manufacturing, no serial #s on the ways or
anywhere I could see. Everything moves, no rust, lots of dirt, no tooling
but a 3 jaw chuck. I googled Globe and found nothing but a reference to a
milling attachment. It looks very similar to an early southbend the gear
cover and the apron are identical to some pictures I found but there's no
reference to southbend on the machine that I could find.

Anybody seen/ have one like it? For what he wanted it could easily follow
me home

Andrew

It looks like this one www.lathes.co.uk/southbend/page2.html top of the
page, even the tag on the left leg is in the same place but it says globe on
it.

Andrew

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 19:04:44 -0500, "AndrewV"
wrote:

"AndrewV" wrote in message
[...]

My SB "A" (1960) has, among other tings, a label "Canadian Fairbanks
Morse" (the importing agent/dealer) riveted to it. Perhaps,in your
case, Globe was the selling agency.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 11, 3:15*pm, "AndrewV"
wrote:
I went to pick up an engine for my bandmill project and the guy had a 13"
lathe (very old he thought pre 20's) that he offered to sell for scrap. The
only tag on it says Globe manufacturing, no serial #s on the ways or
anywhere I could see. Everything moves, no rust, lots of dirt, no tooling
but a 3 jaw chuck. I googled Globe and found nothing but a reference to a
milling attachment. It looks very similar to an early southbend *the gear
cover and the apron are identical to some pictures I found but there's no
reference to southbend on the machine that I could find.

Anybody seen/ have one like it? For what he wanted it could easily follow me
home

Andrew

Here’s a picture of a Globe second operation lathe (along with a lathe
made in the USSR): http://www.marteccis.com/lathe%20pictures.htm
Both are for sale by a perfume company in Oklahoma:
http://www.marteccis.com/lathe_smallNlrg.htm
The nameplate matches what you probably already found for a milling
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

3% inflation rate and now the Library Of Congress ? Your killing me
Ed. Is the LOC online yet? I'm afraid to look cause I'll just get
****ed. I always run into the ole paper clip dude tapping on the glass
to the likes of Berkeley and mit with $1,200 a month subscriptions to
get past the gate.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

Take a look. The card indexes are online, like those of most libraries
today.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 12 Nov 2008 15:07:03 -0500, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

.. .

wrote:
[...]

Really? Just the card indexes... I'll have to check again after ahhh
10 + years. But no E-Books I bet. I'd love to get the wood cabinet
little drawers for tools and parts.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

. ..

wrote:
[...]

I don't know, but it will be limited, whatever it is. Copyrights, ya' know.

--
Ed Huntress