Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Sunworshipper[_2_] Sunworshipper[_2_] is offline

Default mystry lathe

On Wed, 12 Nov 2008 15:07:03 -0500, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

Sunworshipper wrote in message
.. .
On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 17:11:37 -0500, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message
On Nov 11, 4:15 pm, "AndrewV"
wrote:
I went to pick up an engine for my bandmill project and the guy had a
13"
lathe (very old he thought pre 20's) that he offered to sell for scrap.
The
only tag on it says Globe manufacturing, no serial #s on the ways or
anywhere I could see....

Anybody seen/ have one like it? For what he wanted it could easily
follow
me
home

Andrew

It isn't even mentioned here;
http://www.lathes.co.uk/

Before the Depression there were over 100, maybe 200 lathe makers in the
US.
That list doesn't begin to scratch the surface. It doesn't list my 1917
Taylor & Finn knee mill, either.

I suspect that the only place where you'll find complete lists of US-built
machines is in the archives of _American Machinist_. Even there, they
probably missed some.

Those archives, BTW, may only exist at the National Library of Congress
today, in microfilm and microform. There were two other sets when I was at
_AM_, and I know that one got broken up; the other *might* be at _AM's_
newer offices in Cleveland. Maybe.

3% inflation rate and now the Library Of Congress ? Your killing me
Ed. Is the LOC online yet? I'm afraid to look cause I'll just get
****ed. I always run into the ole paper clip dude tapping on the glass
to the likes of Berkeley and mit with $1,200 a month subscriptions to
get past the gate.

Take a look. The card indexes are online, like those of most libraries
today.

Really? Just the card indexes... I'll have to check again after ahhh
10 + years. But no E-Books I bet. I'd love to get the wood cabinet
little drawers for tools and parts.