Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Craftsman metal lathe back gear adjustment

Good Morniong

I have a Craftsman metal lathe model 12L. I purchased the unit a
couple of months ago and am learning how to use it. The way the unit
was seated in the chip tray, the levers on the quick change gear box
were restricted and would not go down far enough to allow them to move
sideways to the different settings. Since I use the same mounting
holes, I assume the owner had not used the QCG box. After cutting out
a section of the chip tray to make the QCG work. I started to test
the other parts of the lathe. When I tried to use the back gear, it
would start in the slow speed, but then the lever and gear would move
away from the spindle gear and go into the higher speed again. I tied
a rubber band to the back gear lever to hold it in to position and
this works but I feel there must be some sort of adjustment which will
make it work properly and hold in position.

Comments would be appreciated.

Dick Hahn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Hey, thanks guys! I'm not the OP, but I've had my 10F for 20 years and
never knew that.

Just last night my son was assisting me at my Atlas 10F 10" standard
change gear lathe when he stuck a rag right under the reverser gear
box. I didn't see it happen. The lathe started to sound funny; loaded
down, sorta, so I stopped it. The gearbox had swallowed the rag and
probably would have broken something if I hadn't stopped.

To the (I assume) new owner of the lathe in question:
If you should venture into the spindle area on your quest for tuning
it up, be aware that there's a set screw somewhere on the spindle pulley
that ISN"T a set screw. It simply covers an oil hole for the drive
pulley, I think. Some people tighten this set screw down, thus ruining
the spindle when you use backgear.
(hope I said that right!)

Pete Stanaitis
-------------------------

RB wrote:
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:

Dick fired this volley in news:9c4b599a-56b4-
:
tied

a rubber band to the back gear lever to hold it in to position and
this works but I feel there must be some sort of adjustment which will
make it work properly and hold in position.

There's a spring plunger detent pin that does the holding for you.
Remove the backgear lever, and you'll see it. Your pin is stuck or
missing.

Often the indentation for the ball will be worn from the Zamak casting,
thus not capturing the detent ball decisively.